• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:25 AM

Namiqua is so cute! Her face and body look like my AID's did when she was young, too. She had very delicate features and bones - she stopped looking like a puppy really young, she just looked like a really small, perfectly-formed dog. Someone exclaimed at the dog park one day "Oh! She's so dainty!" A more perfect word was never uttered.
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#22 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3464 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

Someone exclaimed at the dog park one day "Oh! She's so dainty!" A more perfect word was never uttered.

You are so right Karen. They do have delicate movements. When Tolinka bounds through the garden after a miss fired ball, he seems to be able to bounce around the plants with out crushing anything. My problem is that people keep referring to him as "her." Maybe it's the name (sounds feminine to most) and the purple collar he wears. I think I'll get a cool leather collar for him for Christmas. Maybe that will help.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#23 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

My problem is that people keep referring to him as "her." I think I'll get a cool leather collar for him for Christmas. Maybe that will help.

Get him a pair of truck nuts.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza

#24 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:30 AM

Karen- you are a card.
:D
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#25 gramtot

gramtot

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Carpentry, Grandkids, Sewing (currently purses and totes, dolls), Tai Chi, Walking, Home Improvement, Dogs and dog training, Horses (not currently an owner, however)

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:04 AM

Miz Molly, Denakka is also always assumed to be a girl! I've wondered if the name is responsible, but it's assumed even before folks know the name--and he wears a blue collar to match his eyes. I'm thinking it's those graceful and balanced movements these dogs have. Folks are just not use to that in such young dogs and then automatically think--adult--girl. Also immediately says, "Beautiful eyes" and the word 'beautiful' is a more feminine and leads them in that direction. I rarely correct as I'm not too sensitive about it and very soon he'll be a little less "male" than now anyway! :D

#26 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3464 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

Get him a pair of truck nuts.

:D :lol:
Karen, that is so perfect! How about truck nuts surrounding his leather collar? That ought to do it!

I rarely correct as I'm not too sensitive about it

Gramtot, I'm with you. In conversation with one who refers to him as her, I quietly refer to him as him and sometimes they listen, sometimes not....interesting. :wub:
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#27 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

LOL
I just say it is another selling point of the breed. The males are built "efficiently." And that the breeder doesn't feel the need to breed for big-huge dangly bits.. :wub: :D :lol:
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#28 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3464 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Right on!

big-huge dangly bits.

NOT! :D

#29 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Here's a new and wonderful link about shaping - Enjoy!

http://blogs.dogster...haping/2010/05/

#30 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

OOPS! wrong link. lol
(no click for me...)

dog-training/clicker-training-dos

followed by:
dog-training/clicker-training-donts

And just for fun (and Allison.. lol)
teaching your dog to shut the door :)

#31 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

OOPS! wrong link. lol (no click for me...)

dog-training/clicker-training-dos

followed by: dog-training/clicker-training-donts

Thanks for the links, Star. Great reading.

In university I was an hippy humanistic psychology student and found classic, operant behavior to be crass manipulation and was insulting and demeaning.

I've changed. Any tool that improves communication and reduces separation is worth considering. Our kids, 12 years ago, introduced a few simple hand-signs when their first child was born and for the first two years of his life he was able to communicate his needs, pains and joys without words!! It was wonderful.

Since I've consciously increased my focus and used some of these great clicker-training insights, both of our dogs seem happier, more affectionate, eager and sharper in their behavior. That alone is my "treat" and reinforces me to take more steps with it. (I don't use a clicker. I'm using a tongue-click and "Yes")

I'm also seeing how I've "trained" in some behaviors because I was unaware I was reinforcing the wrong portion of the behavior. I taught Wicca to "bark then leave it" instead of just "leave it"!

We are already out of that bad behavior and well on the way to just plain "leave it". It was eye-opening to see just how micro-second alert we/I should be and often aren't. (Which again speaks to the great ability these dogs have to put up with us humans!! )

Thanks again for the links, Star.

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#32 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3464 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

What a great idea Gib..using your tounge to click. I'm going to do this. Thanks to both you and Star.....

#33 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

I often start with an actual clicker for New behaviors, then progress to a marker word after J really gets whatever I am teaching.
Yeah, I'm lazy and don't want to carry a clicker Everywhere.. lol I just like the physical clicker to start out, because J knows it means that we get to have fun learning something new and challenging. He associates it to fun and stretching his brain and treats and intense interaction with me. All totally positive things. Makes our teaching easier. :)

#34 liz

liz

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hope all goes well with the trianing classes. Shunka would not respond to being treated to good behaviour in class, what do you do when your dog spits it out! Tried everything i could think of, but he was just not interested. In the end we worked it out between us.

He would take treats at home, but never outside or at class, he won't take anything from people he knows outside either. We've had a lot of "isn't she lovely", again I put it down to the a sound on the end of his name. The vet Richard said he had a tidy package, it's nice to have them all neat and tidy I think!

When he was young he was very trim, and hopefully getting that way again! I have put him on senior food now and that seems to be helping, but he is nearing 14 now, so is not quite so active as he was.

Edited by liz, 24 January 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#35 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:20 AM

We've had a lot of "isn't she lovely", again I put it down to the a sound on the end of his name. The vet Richard said he had a tidy package, it's nice to have them all neat and tidy I think!

LOL- yeah, we get that too. I jokingly describe Jasper's package as him being "High-strung" It gets a laugh out of folks that might have been embarassed by mis-labeling his gender. :)

#36 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Interests:gardening ,cooking, having BBQ'S .keeping busy , fleamarkets , Hanging out with my AID dogs

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

way to go but I do yell when mine go into bark mode now I am tring to get the new pup to stop barking she barks at everything !!!!! I am so tired of hearing any help anyone once one starts they all start even though she respect me as the alpha after correcting her she always appologiges she dont do that for her owner
Linda Bell

#37 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I've been remiss in posting here lately- sorry.
But with the new puppy folks, I decided to re.up this thread. :)
Let's start off with a great quote from one of my mentor-trainers..

"Think about dog training like this: Dogs were bred to do things in cooperation with people like herding, retrieving, etc..., right? Therefore, it is safe to assume that dogs know how to interact with and take direction from people.

If you cater to the HUMAN influence bred into dogs over thousands of years instead of the ancestral wolf qualities of your dog, you will have far better results as well as a happier dog!

Fact is, DOGS MORE THAN ANY OTHER SPECIES, have been friends and partners with people for a very long time.
Too many pro trainers and regular people, due to a lack of understanding, forget this when they are training. Teaching a dog is as natural as teaching a child. " ~Zak George

#38 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2375 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

:)

#39 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3464 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

Great quote Star. :)

#40 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

Nicely said. Thanks for sharing.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users