Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Testament To Tayamni's Innate Sense As Therapy Dog

This is a testament to Tayamni as well as a tribute to Nicole my F3 Bengal cat, who though she was getting a little puppy and then 9 week old, 9 lb. Tayamni walked out of the crate!

(Nicole took one look and gave a look and air of “this is NOT what I wanted” and turned and walked away.)

Finally as Tayamni grew out of her puppy stage and was settled enough to pass her Therapy Dog test and CGC Nicole would approach and sniff Tayamni at night from time to time. Tayamni would stiffen at first to make sure she didn’t move and scare Nicole. This became routine that Nicole would come in and jump on the bed and check on Tayamni and me before going off to find one of her own best sleeping places.

A couple of weeks ago Nicole stopped eating the amount she should and although we had a lot of Vet time, care from me and Tayamni care, sadly for us, Nicole dropped her robes very early Christmas morning.
Nicole: 01/12/2004 – 12/25/2016.
Nicole fought until the end and I believe she is now happy as a spirit.

Tayamni, got upset (and had GI problems) the entire time we knew that Nicole was ill. I brought her in to visit Nicole while Nicole was getting IV fluids. This was more to reassure Tayamni than it was for Nicole, although Nicole did nose Tayamni and appreciated seeing her for a few moments.

Nicole was end stage liver failure when we brought her home Friday afternoon and by Saturday afternoon she was too weak to move far. I didn’t get a picture of it (my mind has been in a fog since the liver function tests were received), but at one point Tayamni was gently moving Nicole’s back legs using her nose. It looked like a slow bicycle motion. Tayamni was so gentle and trying to help Nicole to move / regain mobility.

I finally fell asleep around 1AM on Sunday morning on the floor near Nicole who was in the hallway. Tayamni took the other side and lied down in the bathroom doorway to watch Nicole.

I awoke at 2:35AM hearing someone throwing up. It was Tayamni down the hallway a little. I checked on Nicole near me and she had passed. I could tell it was just a few minutes before.

Tayamni must have stayed vigilant and understood when Nicole left her physical form and it brought her to be sick.

That is special sensitivity! Not just the knowing and staying by her but the trying to help Nicole earlier. I’ve never seen another dog do more than just stay by another pet.

When Tayamni was younger I saw her try to comfort a squirrel that was dying because another dog got to it.
I thought that was a fluke. It wasn’t.

I’ve had some health issues and our volunteer Therapy Dog work has had to cut back because Tayamni will focus on me instead of others if I’m pushing it a bit.

She really is special. (So was Nicole).

Thanks to Kim for saving these old lines of the Native dogs for future generations.

Wopila that he does this the old way!!!! Wopila for the knowledge he has learned and is passing on.

I have included pics of Nicole and Tayamni and Nicole. The last pic (#6) is hard to look at (you may just not want to enlarge it) but it is of Tayamni by Nicole shortly after I found her doing what looked like physical therapy to Nicole. I got the camera but she had laid down nearby before I got back. She was even closer to Nicole before I put the camera to my face. Nicole deteriorated from walking to crossing in a little over 12 hours. There was nothing more that Tayamni or I could do that we didn’t. She just faded away so fast.

PS With some TLC and special feeding Tayamni is getting her gut health back. B) We are all in the process of healing our wounds. :ph34r:

1. Nicole.jpg 2. Tayamni being nurse maid.jpg 3. Nicole on Coffey's bed.jpg

4.  a lighter moment.jpg 5. giving love - coming home.jpg 6. Tayamni watching over - near end.jpg

• Like 5

Denise I'm so sorry about your kitty. That is one special spirit dog you have there. Glad you are taking it easy and taking care of your selves with some TLC.

• Like 1

Denise...I'm so sorry for your loss...may the wonderful memories be forever deeply in your heart and mind...

The last picture...the look that Tayamni has, I've seen that in Chhaya...it says so much. Deeply caring dogs we have that's for sure! Take care!

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss Denise. Tayamni is such a special girl.

• Like 1

Denise...I'm so sorry for your loss...may the wonderful memories be forever deeply in your heart and mind...

The last picture...the look that Tayamni has, I've seen that in Chhaya...it says so much. Deeply caring dogs we have that's for sure! Take care!

Yes, the ability to perceive and understand that these AI dogs innately have is phenomenal!

The Native ancestors knew what they were doing with dogs and agriculture!

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Denise, You have a very special gift in your Tayamni. I have had experiences like yours, with my three and it always amazes me how tender and intuitive they are. These medicine / spirit pups are so very special. I'm glad you have Tayamni to help you through your loss. You are in my thoughts.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words! :wub:

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1