Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I hear you. My Hawk is almost 11 1/2 and the first time at a new vet the same thing. No, this isn't a real breed, it's not an AKC dog. I am so sick of hearing this, still to this day after all these years when people ask about him. I also refer them onto Kim's site.

These dogs are more "real" than most of these foofy AKC breeds will ever be. Don't let anyone intimidate you! :)

• Like 4

So cool to see the Caanan Dog and the AI Dog together! Thanks!

• Like 6

Funny enough I was having a conversation with a friend that trains Border Collies for sheep herding. She had never heard of the breed but did have some books on different breeds. She broke it out and not only was the AI dog in there it also had a bunch on info on Kim.

• Like 7
Funny enough I was having a conversation with a friend that trains Border Collies for sheep herding. She had never heard of the breed but did have some books on different breeds. She broke it out and not only was the AI dog in there it also had a bunch on info on Kim.

:)B)

• Like 1

YAY!

Sitka is a slinky nose to the ground kind of walker. I do see that the border collies are wary, but we usually win them over if we can get close.

• Like 1

Love all this info, such great conversations on here.

Willow was the first AI dog I met and people really do think she is a coyote. Which is just crazy to me. Janessa (my bestie) always has a bandanna on her because of that.

I'm taking my little one to the vet for the first time in about a week and I'm interested to see how they react to her.

• Like 3

You can get it for a buck fifty used. Ha ha! now you can site the book as reference to any vet that wants to put "shepherd mix" in the record! http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Ultimate-Dictionary-Over-Breeds/dp/1570762198

That really is a "western" thing - it's recorded in a book so it must be true.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 4

Just ordered it - may have to print out 1,000 copies to hand out in my travels; ONLY if I like the presentation ;-)

I picture is worth 1,000 words and I am getting a bit tired of explaining and handing out Kim's tiny card.

Thanks for the link!!!

Edited by swade
  • Like 2
  • 8 months later...
I have definitely noticed this with my Dog. He did not have a problem with dogs or people. He was especially great with small children but certain dogs instantly had an issue with him. It was noticeable enough off the bat they I watched for it. He did great at the dog park but I always was careful. He was never the aggressor but he did not back down either which made a few tense moments.

I have been wondering about this myself Zuni is great at the dog park ,appropriate with all dogs puppies people etc. But there have been a few dog that follow him around almost trying to start something. It's strange but I watch for it now too.

• Like 2

Swade, thanks for mentioning the Carolina dogs! Just read the Wiki article on them and several articles by owners. VERY interesting, and how very much they look like the AI dogs. From what the owners describe the personality and temperament is similar too. Then there are the DNA studies and the fact that there have been skeletal remains of the Carolina dogs found in burial mounds throughout the Southeast. Neat!

Edited by LakeGirl
  • Like 1

Swade, thanks for mentioning the Carolina dogs! Just read the Wiki article on them and several articles by owners. VERY interesting, and how very much they look like the AI dogs. From what the owners describe the personality and temperament is similar too. Then there are the DNA studies and the fact that there have been skeletal remains of the Carolina dogs found in burial mounds throughout the Southeast. Neat!

There was a woman that used to come to our Dog Park and she got a rescue that she said was a Carolina Dog.

I thought it might be a cross because the head is wider and it had thicker muscles than our AI Dogs.

It does look like the pics and videos I just saw on utube.

I read an article that in Georgia(?) a researcher tested some feral packs and found these feral dogs mixed with hounds.

I think the New Guinea Singing Dog is a close resemblance also. It sings like my AI Dog. Animal Planet says these New Guinea Singing Dogs have very high prey drives and not great family dogs.

That's the opposite of Tayamni.

There is a newer dog at our Bark Park. Everyone has a hard time telling Coffey (AI dog) and Gidget (rescue from GA) apart. Even us owners when we look quick as they go darting by or are playing with other dogs:

IMG_20161011_1846161.jpg

I can't find better pictures of her right now. Will have to try and get her and Coffey when they are together ...

• Like 1