Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Does Not Like "alone Time!"

Kaposia is settling in nicely in most ways. She takes two nice naps per day, has been granted priveleges to sleep on our bed, house training has been complete for a long time. The second round of chewing has set in, and the only serious casualty has been the bow of Dennys prescription glasses. The big problem is that she has become soooooo attached to this old retired couple who are with her almost constantly, that she does not do well when we have to leave her home. We leave music on, make sure she has toys and a treat loaded kong, etc. Witness in the photo what is left of the curtain from our back door from her trying to get out and follow us. Any suggestions?

image.jpeg

Ooops. Option 1 Take a looong walk before going. Option 2 Get a second one, they tend to beat on each other and will be less lonely, true it's possible they could decide to gang up on the drapes but mine have been excellent in the house when we leave but that might be because of option 3. Option 3 Put a well trained Older German Shepherd in charge. Option 4 put pup in securely fenced outside area with a pile of dirt, can add web cam (you can actually yell at them through some web cams). Option 5 Crate when out. One of these options is likely to work.

• Like 1

Thanks for the list! We have crated her up until now, but she has come to dislike the crate more and more, and becomes quite stressed out in there. The idea of burning off more energy first is a good idea. Hope as she matures and realizes that we always come back, she'll gain confidence and calm.

• Like 2

Ayita has been good in the house for sometime now, but since she's an only dog, here's what we do to combat loneliness and/or us getting delayed somewhere: If we are going to be away for more than a few hours during the day and we can't take her along, we take advantage of Doggy Day Care. She gets lots of attention, socialization, treats etc. The same facility has boarding and grooming and training. She loves it there.

• Like 1

This is the first year we have left bella and mooka by themselves since we got them(mooka is 3 and bella is 18months)at first she would chew what ever was on floor even a cord so we started puttting things up just like when you have little kids come visit and we would close all the doors and leave tv on and so far so good i think cause they know they will get a nice big chew bone when we get home and no damage is done,well good luck

• Like 1

I did the classic training. I said "good bye, take care of the house", and walked out the door. I waited 10 min. and then returned. (Just about the time they stopped barking. Make sure they can't see you.)

Hello! Hooray! All is good! Good Boy! Good waiting! Good job taking care of the house!

Next day it was 15min and then it was 20. Within a few days, I could run to the store.

They need to know you are coming back. Once they know you are coming back, all is good.

• Like 3

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas! Kaposia does need more socialization, which will start after the holidays with some classes. She is very timid and submissive around other dogs, to the point of what I'd describe as fear ( she barks a good game and the back hair goes up, and then she hides behind our legs.) Doggy day care will be on the list of things to try. The idea of leaving for first just minutes and then lengthening out makes a lot of sense too. We have never made a big deal out of leaving, we simply say "Be good and watch over the house." and then leave. We've thought of a second dog, and the idea isn't completely off the table, but that's a LOT of enegy and we're not kids anymore. This forum and it's participants absolutely rock!

• Like 2