Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I haven't got a video of it, but is it normal for dogs to play like gladiators?

(Ok, I know what you are thinking - minus the weapons and the garb!) :ph34r:

Tayamni & Roger aren't running and playing as much as chest bumping and play fighting?

They are definitely playing but it is rough, especially because Roger is fully developed (mature dog) and Tayamni is still growing.

We try to get them to run and play but they do this more than not, so we limit it to 5 - 10 minutes a couple times a day.

I'm glad Roger is only 21 - 23 pounds and Tayamni will be taller than him and close to his weight soon.

Hopefully she will be as fast as him too and I think that will encourage more run / playing. B)

I just don't want their style of play to overstress her body.

Thanks!

Yes. We call that "battle pocs". Hair on fire is when they do that while at a full gallup with zoomies and yes keep an eye on it- they can hurt themselves or each other.

• Like 1

It is normal for dogs and pups to wrestle. You will notice when one squeaks, the other lets up, to make sure they are okay.

When they are both mature, it is less common for them to play wrestle so intensely, although, I have seen male and female do a sort of pup wrestle. Young love, what can you do.

Be glad that your older dog is wearing out the pup.

You will know when it is not okay.

• Like 2

It's also been called "Ritual Play".

It can sound downright vicious. Draco & Wicca used to do it a lot. Seldom anymore. In the Winter, it was one of their favorite indoors exercises.

The joyful noise we came to call "Wookie Warsongs"

Our sessions usually ended when one or the other got the end of their nose bumped. Oh, goodness, our dogs don't like their noses bumped.

Observe closely, participate if you can, interfere only when absolutely and profoundly necessary and as Allison said, "You will know when it is not okay."

• Like 3

Kito ("Sweeto/Bitty") and Bandit ("Lovebug") are very fond of the "Warsongs." Most of the time, you would think they are trying to kill each other, but it's just noise, they are playing happily, and just enjoy making the noises for the sake of putting each other on. They are definitely playing, but they are making the faces and the noises. As others have said, if there is a yelp, things calm immediately. We observe closely, and only interfere if someone is biting close to the face or in the face or at the head. We want to discourage that and make sure they know that is unwanted. They get that. Otherwise, we marvel at how much they love each other, how much noise they make, how long they play, how much they wear each other out (play hard, nap hard), and how STUPID anyone would have to be to even THINK about coming in our house with that kind of noise going on. :D Automatic security!

Edited by mommom
  • Like 4
Cake makes rolled tungue cat purr noises. RrrrrrRrrrrRrrrr. Waki can't make that noise. It's like she's French and he's not.

LMAO!!! :lol:

I tried to get video this morning - although I still don't know how to post a video here ......

do I have to have a utube account to post or can I upload video directly here?

Of course,

When the phone beeps to record - they don't want to leave ANY evidence and start watching the grass grow.

I've got to learn how to MIMIC that beep! :P

I've got to learn how to MIMIC that beep! :P

Hahahaha! I would like to see that.

• Like 1

Starghoti will answer your question about posting video. I do post from youtube, but she films and posts, and knows the ropes as well or better than anyone.

• Like 2

Oh thanks Allison- lol Ok- I am putting together a tutorial for video posting.

PS: about wrestling - here is our old BC Mina wrestling with K'ne when she was a wee pup.

Notice the black dog's 'soft-body' and occasional pauses to let K'ne breathe and recover. Also notice K'ne going back for more because it's fun and educational. :)

• Like 2

Both mine get carried away like moths to a flame. I have to remind Waki to be careful with Shiva who is fragile these days. Cake dolly is currently on restriction from hair on fire due to being stubborn and bashing into Waki with such intensity that she has injured her front leg. If there is the right combination of stubborn the gladiator play can be over done. Then you have nose art, sad charooing and mopiness to contend with while one party recuperates.IMG_4190.jpg Just watch them while it's going on. Step in if you think they are over doing it. Watch how they are when finished. If anyone is missing large chunks of tail or neck hair or limping then you need to help then learn to take it down a notch or two. In the house the play is at the right level. Out in the yard we have the X-treme play.

• Like 1

Tolinka and Two Step doing THEIR chest bumping gladiator play.

gladiator IMG_1532.jpg

The little fearless one, "Rain," is taking a lesson on how it's done....It will be interesting if she partakes in this when she gets older. As of now, she is an observer.

Thankfully Tolinka is a very sensitive guy, and is so very careful. It never gets so rough that anyone comes away with any injuries, and never turns the corner of anger...it's always light play regardless if their teeth are showing.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been a little less aggressive since we removed Roger's harness (always play - never ben anger from either). ^_^

Smart little AI pup, learned how to bite onto harness and get more leverage. :P

I just worry about her developing joints and tendons. She is almost as heavy as Roger but he is grown and she is developing - so we watch and give them rest periods.

Also, I think it's good to step in and get them under control every now and then. Start it while she's young so she won't challenge or nip at me later, when she's older. It reminds them who is alpha.

Roger is more like a puppy than an adult in their play.

Once in a while he corrects her like he should as an adult but she will definitely be the alpha dog in the house.

He just doesn't have the skills. That's good, we have one who will lead. Tayamni is good with other adult dogs and submissive when approaching a well balanced adult dog. I know she learned that at Song Dog!

So far so good!

It is nice to know that it is normal for dogs to play like this.

It makes me long for a second AI Dog ...... :ph34r: OK. Let's get through this puppyhood first.

I think in about 2 years. Should I get on the waiting list now? LOL!

• Like 1

To answer the "should I get on the waiting list now?" question, YES! Think of it this way -if you get to that point of getting the call again and find you're just not ready, then simply pass. But if you are, you have set yourself up perfectly!

• Like 1

Our 'gladiators' are currently Sita age 3 months weighing in at 15 pounds, and Tanka the male Chihuahua age 5.5 months weighing in at 5 pounds.

They are strangely well matched! Tanka gets to get his 'man' on with Sita, and Sita--bless her heart--knows just how hard she can go with him, and frequently lets him 'win' in moments, she makes it fun for them both by not dominating him. We asked Kim for a 'wise-woman' of a dog, here is one way she shows it even in her puppiness. Oh she has her moments of "I'm clearly bigger than you", but always she recognizes that he is tiny and fragile and her sensitivity to that dynamic IS a wonder. He keeps coming back for more, always, so I figure they are doing it 'right'

They do make a holy heck of a ruckus! The blood-curdling war cries are fun

The only casualty has been a very small eye scratch on Tanka, his big liquid chihuahua eyes are there right at the front of his face...that was a vet visit and an expense but he recovered quickly.

• Like 1
Tolinka and Two Step doing THEIR chest bumping gladiator play.

[img=http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] gladiator IMG_1532.jpg

The little fearless one, "Rain," is taking a lesson on how it's done....It will be interesting if she partakes in this when she gets older. As of now, she is an observer.

Thankfully Tolinka is a very sensitive guy, and is so very careful. It never gets so rough that anyone comes away with any injuries, and never turns the corner of anger...it's always light play regardless if their teeth are showing.

Molly I love that picture! IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT PICTURE OF THE MONTH!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Denise. It's interesting to watch how this "play" is progressing between the three pups. The lessons, the play, the noise, the dance display...all for the little fearless one, Rain. I have definitely seen the boys play rougher than this so I know this is all a show for Rain. Pretty neat. Rain is beginning to do what she appears to think are body slams into Two Step which is pretty funny cuz they really are more like little body bumps than slams. Her butt in the air, the stealth stock position, then she explodes and takes off and slams into him. :lol:

• Like 1

I was watching the 'Lili and Anoki' play video and that is what Tayamni does with Roger .....

only Roger doesn't have the rolling moves so he is in the neck hold longer. :blink:

Keywestmama22 has been kind enough to allow Tayamni and I down to see Keme for a play date and I'm sure Tayamni will have a blast and learn some good lessons from her older half brother, Keme! :rolleyes:

It will be fun to watch the MAYBE 23 lb little whipper snapper and the 60 something lb full of muscle Keme! :lol:

I'm not worried about it, I just can't picture the size difference right now.

(I'll take pictures!!!!!!! :ph34r:)

..... It's interesting to watch how this "play" is progressing between the three pups. The lessons, the play, the noise, the dance display...all for the little fearless one, Rain. ...... Rain is beginning to do what she appears to think are body slams into Two Step which is pretty funny cuz they really are more like little body bumps than slams. Her butt in the air, the stealth stock position, then she explodes and takes off and slams into him. :lol:

glad she has teachers and would love to see her moves! :P

I'll try to get that one done and keep a clear lens...ya right. Seems the movement is so fast that even when I put the camera on "action shots" it's still blurry....Try a video? Now there is a stellar idea. :lol:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Fish does this with our schnauzer. Of course the schnauzer is fat and lazy so he HATES it! I think it's absolutely hilarious to watch the two. Any time Schroeder (the schnauzer) walks by, Fish immediately drops what she's doing and slaps him across the face with her paw. She then proceeds to jump on top of him to try and play. Since he is so grumpy, he generally puts her in her place by showing his teeth and pinning her to the ground. Afterwards he is so excited that he just dominated the puppy that's taller than him, that he runs up to me, tail wagging, and very proud of himself. When she first started this, he used to freak out. Now, he just pins her down and walks away (if she'll let him). He's getting used to it, though! The other day she jumped on his back and he just stood there looking at me and hoping I would do something. When I didn't, he walked to his bed (with Fish jumping on him the whole way) and took a nap while she rolled around next to him trying to get him to play. Eventually she gave up and took a nap all snuggled up against him. He looked miserable!

• Like 4

Eventually she gave up and took a nap all snuggled up against him. He looked miserable!

Hahahaha!