Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Welcome Angus

Quote Kim La Flamme

Hi, Kim!

Our first week with our pup has been amazing! Starting with our 12 hour ride home, Angus was beyond belief. (Yes, Scottish name for an American Indian dog. Go figure!) He sat in one of our laps on what would be "his blanket" to lay on at home. We had chew toys and a stuffed bear. What a trouper! No whining until the last 10 minutes when he just couldn't take any more. We didn't want to stop at a motel not knowing the health of any other dogs that would have stayed there.

He adjusted quickly to his new home. A little tentative at first. Now he has no fear. He does not like to be limited but is learning he can't go anywhere he pleases on our 20 acres. We keep him out of the trees and brush for the time being. He is far too little and too many animals could snatch him-or he could get lost.

After 2 minutes of whining the first 2 nights when we put in his kennel, he now goes in without a peep and stays until his quick potty break during the night, then again until morning. We keep the door open except at night. He loves to sleep in there or on his dog bed during the day.

Potty training has gone smoothly so far. Yesterday he ran to his area from the back porch and did his business. We still watch and take him out when we should, but definitely progress there.

He is sweet and so much fun. He is a love! He likes to be around us - unless running to the few places he knows we won't let him go yet ??. He watches on point where Kevin or I are going if he isn't going with us.

He IS headstrong also. And true to everything I have read on AI dogs, smart. He and I have had a few times where there was a test of wills. I am sure we have many more to come. As you talked with me about in our interview, sometimes it is tough love (walking away from him or placing him where he should be). Kevin said his money is on me. (I don't take that as a compliment.....)

Angus has gone with me into town and everywhere we go people comment on how beautiful he is and ask what breed he is. He has had a lot of pets from the people we meet. And of course, he is a perfect gentleman in front of them.

I just can't imagine being without Angus. Thank you for this wonderful addition to our family.

Bonnie & Kevin - WA

IMG_1583.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1617.jpg

• Like 7

Oh yeah, I like this one. Angus. That is a fun name.

Angus! LMAO....Angus, that's perfect. What a good looking, smart & well centered little man he appears to be. Can't wait for more tails (tales) of our Faux Scottish AID representative.

• Like 1

He does look like an Angus. Such a noble name for such a handsome boy!

• 10 months later...

Angus turned 1 year old on March 22nd and we wanted to send an update with pictures.

To all who told us that many of the AI dogs change color over the first year or two – you weren’t kidding!! Angus went from very dark to almost blond on the face and is now getting reddish brown with black creeping in. His back turned mottled and he is losing his puppy fur along the sides. It will be interesting to see what color he ends up being.

Angus is hours of entertainment. Always full of energy and ready to go explore. He loves to go with us on a couple mile walk (twice a day unless we have massive rain showers). Well, we walk two miles, Angus walks at least twice that. He walks ahead of us, then back to us, then over the bank to explore the field, then starts all over again.

Exploring the wooded area and following deer trails is his favorite pastime. We have a few hikes picked out for this spring with him and are confident that he will be a good little hiker. His first beach trip is in two weeks and we cannot wait to see him running and playing in the sand. It will be interesting to see if he heads to the water. So far he seems to like to get chest high in the lake close to us and loves splashing through water along the road and in our field.

Snow this winter was tremendous fun for him. He especially liked the soft, new snow. He would run and lap up snow on the ground with his tongue. When the snow melted, then froze, it was a little more challenging. As was the several feet that accumulated. He was undaunted and had fun trudging through it. His favorite place after being outside was in front of the woodstove on his bed.

Over the winter, Angus found 6 antlers that the deer had shed. One was buried under the snow when he sniffed it out (picture below). He was always so proud of his find and would cut the walk short to get his trophy home to safety. Since his “pack” is always moving at a slower pace, he would turn and stare at us as if it would hurry us up.

Angus’ prey/hunting instinct is strong. He has learned not to chase the deer, but is excited and watches them intently. He hunts gophers and field mice with great joy. When we had snow on the ground, he would hop like a fox to break through the snow to get to them. Now that the snow is gone, he will do a hop straight up into grass to snare his prey. Sometimes successful, sometimes not, always happy!

He is with us most of the time. He loves to go for a ride, loves to walk and wants to be with his pack most of the time. He is getting a little more independent at times, however, still seems to want to be with us mostly. He leans against us to get petted and likes to cuddle. At roughly 50 pounds, cuddling can get interesting!

When we were training Angus on leash and to be calm around people other than us (he was sure everyone was super excited to see him and loved him), we took many trips to town to walk around. Everywhere we went, people would stop and comment on how beautiful he was, or ask what type of dog he was. I have had vet techs meet me out front just to tell me that they LOVE Angus and that he is such a sweet dog.

Angus is well behaved when we do leave him at home. The house is always as we left it – no damage, no mess. We do see his little face looking out the window in the front door as we walk up to it. What a guilt trip that is!

We can’t imagine being without Angus. He lives in the moment and is joyful. He makes us smile (and sometimes frustrates us with his stubbornness). He is a smart little guy and likes to please.

Thank you, Kim. What a wonderful little guy.

Bonnie and Kevin Wallace

Angus_antler.JPG

Angus_fire.JPG

Angus_March.JPG

Angus_puppy.JPG

• Like 5

Handsome Angus!!!! What a beautiful transformation.....

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Angus! I am really surprised about the mask - huge change! Wonder if he will have different shading seasonally?

It will be interesting to see his final color. He is beginning to get some black from his eyes to his ears (looks like sunglasses)and from his forehead down to his eyes. It is just a light "coat" of black. Almost mottled with the brown. He has been a shedding machine since we brought him home. If he does change with the seasons, there goes our hope that the shedding will ease up!!

• Like 3