Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

So after a long long journey we are finally home and settling in. As I type this little Chep is sleeping in her crate after a long day of snuggles, piddles, naps and playing.

chepidj.jpgchepiyard.jpglittlechepi.jpgneffychepi.jpgneffychepi1.jpgsleepychepi.jpg

It was really interesting to go out and see the kennels after waiting so long to get a dog of my own (a couple years now). I have known my best friend's AI dog since she was a puppy herself, and we are very close. The whole trip just seemed surreal, especially knowing it was going to go by so fast. If you haven't been out that way before I can tell you it was worth it. I flew into to San Fransisco airport instead of flying direct to Oregon for a couple reasons. It was immensely cheaper, my friends live in SF, and I was dying to see the scenery on the way up.

Here are a couple views of the mountain you see on your way from Cali

Mountain1.jpgmountain.jpg

I took a few photos of the La Flamme grounds when I was pulling up, it really is beautiful there. This is the lake just up the road, the vineyard and some views around the property.

laflammelake.jpglaflammetree.jpglaflammevineyard.jpg

When I got there I was so excited I couldn't wait to see the puppies. Greg greeted me first and got us all washed up and clean to go see the kennels. He stayed late to meet me and answered all of my questions. I really appreciate that! Then Kim came out to greet me and I guess thats when it really felt real. I had been waiting for this moment so long I couldn't even think straight. He led me back and that when I saw her for the first time and she saw me. :)

chepigreg.jpgchepi.jpg

Little Bird her Momma was so excited, she gave lots of kisses and was very sweet. The other 2 puppies that were still there had their last bit of playtime with her while I walked around the property taking some pictures of the kennels. These two have first Little Bird with pups, Then Rowdy in the second. After that its some photos of the different kennels and beautiful dogs you can see out there. Mommalittlebird.jpgRowdy.jpgprettyeyes.jpgpretty.jpgsittingpretty.jpgyoungsters.jpgextra2.jpggirls.jpggirlss.jpgextra1.jpgextra.jpgboys.jpg

She slept almost the whole way except for stops where I took her to go piddle and wiped her paws off just in case. Very sweet to anyone she came in contact with. chepicar.jpg

Alright so after all that here is where I got a little nervous. When you are flying a pup in the cabin with you to go back home as a carry on, you get the pup and one other bag. You should make the reservation right when you are booking your tickets to make sure there is enough room for the pup. Airlines have a max amount of animals that can board on one flight. I flew with Amercian Airlines and it was 125$ for her to fly back with me which covered both flights. San Fran- Dallas - Pensacola I suggest you book flights with a longer layover so that you have time to take the puppy to a designated pet relief area. (And bring wipes to make sure you can keep their little puppy feet clean so they don't get sick)

The list of things I had with me goes as follows

Puppy Pads

Chew Toys

Wipes

Flushable bags

Leash

Collar

Tag

Towel to put over kennel

Sherpa Carrier Medium ( http://www.amazon.com/Sherpa-Original-Deluxe-Carrier-Medium/dp/B000FLETX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463188414&sr=8-1&keywords=sherpa+dog+carrier+medium)

Bag of Puppy Food

Container to put food and water

Guaranteed On Board Sheet (This can be found online @ http://www.flygob.com in association with Sherpa Kennels to make it easier at check in. They will help you figure out what size limitations each airline has and will insure you if you are denied boarding because of your carrier)

When I was checking in the clerk told me if she got too loud and people complained they may deny my boarding. While puppies at this age do sleep a lot, it would be good to have the puppy out of the carrier until you board. I played with her for about 20 minutes then she fell asleep. I had already let her go #1 and 2 before we came to the airport, so I knew she was pretty good there. When she was asleep I put her in the carrier and set it on my lap so she knew I was close. Thankfully she slept through both flights until landing, (they're supposed to stay in the carrier the whole time, but once the plane had landed I took her out to comfort her and they didn't seem to mind) The only thing I would have changed was to have checked where the pet relief areas were beforehand and made a plan accordingly.

"Chepi is a ghost or fairy in the mythology of the Narragansett tribe of Native Americans from the Narragansett Bay region of Rhode Island, Connecticut, and eastern Massachusetts. Chepi is a spirit of the dead who shared knowledge with medicine people in dreams or visions. Chepi could be called upon by the "pawwaw" or medicine person, to destroy an enemy: An avenging entity." This name has a few variations on meaning, but our intention was to give her a native born name, and that this would be the equivalent of "fairy"

chepi lay.jpg

chepi lay.jpg

chepi lay.jpg

chepi lay.jpg

chepi lay.jpg

PicsPlay_1462929541948.jpg

Edited by Felix
  • Like 15
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after a long long journey we are finally home and settling in. As I type this little Chep is sleeping in her crate after a long day of snuggles, piddles, naps and playing.     It was really

Bonus, a cute photo my husband took today

just wanted to post a few recent photos of chepi and kind of respond to your question finally.   Chepi has has grown so much, though she is still a baby. She is 1yr 5 months at this point and 29lbs

Posted Images

Sorry about the multiple photos at the bottom, it wouldn't let me delete them!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the photos and the write up! I know we appriciated it. I should do a photo Montage and write up of my Ai. Please keep us updated. I think she was the most beautiful of the litter when I was obsessed with the photos.

• Like 3

Congratulations! Loved your most thorough preparations. Your post and photos are like a guide for prospective owners! Chepi is very lucky to be loved by you, and vice-versa! Thank you for sharing with us!

• Like 4

Love the name. Is the "CH" hard as in cheese, or soft like in chamois?

You know if she wasn't so cute, we wouldn't need multiple photos.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing your travel experiences and showing us your new addition to the family!!! So beautiful, so precious...and we don't mind extra pictures, lol!!! As far as I am concerned, I can keep looking and looking and looking! It looks gorgeous there, and all the dogs in the kennels are beautiful, and they look so happy.

So glad the forum is here, so we can learn from one another and ask questions...it really is so helpful.

I feel the love and wonder for this amazing breed of dogs.

Welcome home, Chep!

• Like 2

Great pictures. Saving your post for morning coffee. So is your pup like the most mellow of the mellow or did you just wait for her to tire out? Usually people are posting O. M. G. this puppy has so much energy! When will it sleep at my feet or sleep at all or at least stop eating my socks by the bushel?

• Like 3

Thank you so much for the photos and the write up! I know we appriciated it. I should do a photo Montage and write up of my Ai. Please keep us updated. I think she was the most beautiful of the litter when I was obsessed with the photos.

Thank you! My husband was leaning towards another puppy and I honestly just wanted Kim to pick the best puppy for us. I am really happy with how things turned out. Everyone is always gawking at her pretty eyes :)

Edited by Felix
  • Like 2
Love the name. Is the "CH" hard as in cheese, or soft like in chamois? You know if she wasn't so cute, we wouldn't need multiple photos.

It's a "ch" as in cheese. I read it is normally pronounced "cheepee" but for the sake of making it easier to call her we say it "chepee"

She is such a sweetie, she makes it easy to take pictures :)

Thank you for sharing your travel experiences and showing us your new addition to the family!!! So beautiful, so precious...and we don't mind extra pictures, lol!!! As far as I am concerned, I can keep looking and looking and looking! It looks gorgeous there, and all the dogs in the kennels are beautiful, and they look so happy. So glad the forum is here, so we can learn from one another and ask questions...it really is so helpful. I feel the love and wonder for this amazing breed of dogs. Welcome home, Chep!

I honestly was just blown away by the whole area. It's like a fairy tale with all the mountains and greenery. I wish i would have stayed longer to talk to Greg and Kim but I am so awkward hahaha.
Thank you

Great pictures. Saving your post for morning coffee. So is your pup like the most mellow of the mellow or did you just wait for her to tire out? Usually people are posting O. M. G. this puppy has so much energy! When will it sleep at my feet or sleep at all or at least stop eating my socks by the bushel?

She is really an interesting little thing. I really feel like she matches my energy. If I am active and get her excited, she will have lots of energy. If I sit on the couch after a little while of play to relax she will beg to sit next to me and nap.
I am trying to make sure I tie in some obedience training. I require her to sit before I allow her up.

When she wakes up in the morning she will go potty, eat, go potty and play with my husband, then beg to be up on the bed and nap with me until I am up for the day!
  • Like 2

A red truck and a puppy. Life is good.

Don't you love how they can have that completely innocent baby look in their eyes? I think she will be quite a head turner all her life.

Good story and great list. Two words: First Class. If you can swing it now is the time. Cash in those miles, points, etc. They are a lot nicer to first class passengers and much more flexible about things. The Nurse Ratchets of the flight attendant world are not loosed on you.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 4
A red truck and a puppy. Life is good. Don't you love how they can have that completely innocent baby look in their eyes? I think she will be quite a head turner all her life. Good story and great list. Two words: First Class. If you can swing it now is the time. Cash in those miles, points, etc. They are a lot nicer to first class passengers and much more flexible about things. The Nurse Ratchets of the flight attendant world are not loosed on you.

I would have loved to fly first class, but I wasn't able to prepare far enough ahead of time.

Thankfully though people are really forgiving when it comes to tiny big eyed adorable puppies whimpering once they get to take a look at it and see how cute.
I pulled her out of the kennel once we landed and the whole cabin melted hahaha.

• Like 3
I absolutely love her. Great pup. Can't wait to meet her!!

Ditto! Hope I get the chance to - on my travel through - almost could meet Willow too!

THANK YOU FELIX!!! :D for the pics of SDK and for your adventures so far!

• Like 1

Picture of her from today. Ill be taking some nice ones on Tuesday when she turns 9 weeks.

Her ears have popped up and her vision seems to be better. She is listening more and getting better at the "sit" and "come" commands.

Lots of mouthing! But getting a lot better about not nipping too hard when she does. (I still tell her no)

I can believe how big she has gotten in just a week and a half.

Kennel training is going fairly well. We have gotten her to associate the kennel with sleepy time so we just move her in there when she falls asleep. We have a pretty regular schedule, she goes in around the same time every day. She sleeps pretty good through the night, gets up about once to pee and then back to bed.

Potty training is going pretty good. We still get little piddle accidents when the cats scare her. She was trying to piddle on he downstairs rug and I wasn't sure why until I realized it smelled like the previous owners dogs, so I just chucked it. Otherwise she is good about going in her little area under the tree.

13260034_1218176381549255_486465972727686543_n.jpg

Edited by Felix
  • Like 5

Good work! What a cutie.

• Like 2

Two new photos from today, she'll be 10 weeks this next Tuesday when I take her to the first vet appointment.
She's such a beauty, everyone sighs and awes when they see her. I am excited for her to have all of her shots so we can go on adventures together!

20160527100634_IMG_0523.jpg20160527095758_IMG_0445.jpg

• Like 4

Is she growing as fast as it looks like she is???? she is adorable!

• Like 1

I and sure you are enjoying her very much. Hang on to these memories and take plenty of pictures because she will grow up fast.

• Like 2