Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

A Second Ai Dog

We have decided that we would like to have another AI dog although we haven't yet made the request. Sophie just turned a year old and we love her! Does anyone have input as to whether it would be best to request another female or get a male. We were wondering if 2 females would get along more cohesively.

• Like 1

I have 2 boys and they are about 2 years apart. Took awhile for the older one to completely accept his little brother but now they are totally bonded, touching each other constantly. I call them the twindians. I wasn't sure if I wanted a male or female when I decided on a second one and I don't think it makes a difference with this breed, they are all fabulous!

• Like 4

Hah. I can still say these things about dogs....We've always gotten an instant connection with boy girl (GSDs and AIDs). When Cake came home Waki played with her until the wee hours and they both fell asleep mid play. Boy-girl chemistry will work in your favor. That said personality is important since the pack dynamic will change over 18 months. As hormones come in, there can be a testing and possibly a flip of pack order, especially with same sex dogs but also with dogs of opposite sex and similar ambition. Same sex dogs have drives that put them in natural competition particularly when close in age. Also same sex dogs are more likely to fight seriously if there is conflict and this can be both expensive and tough to work through (different drivers and rules for passing on genes). Be aware, let them work it out if there is some testing but make sure you have set fair & consistent rules for everyone and know when to step in. If both dogs are too similar in where they expect to be in the pack order you can have problems for a period of time until order is decided.

You can do 2 same sex with the right personalities. Try to describe your dog's personality in your application and also give your dogs parents so Kim knows what lines. How is it with other dogs? Very submissive, very dominant, neither one nor the other but nobody's fool? How is your dog overall? Sweet and easily trained? A terror with respect to crating, etc? Any guarding behaviors with food or toys or you? etc. Give Kim some data to help match your dog's personalities. Most of the time things go very well but if you look through the forum there have been some difficult cases. From what I recall reading - 2 boys that took a very long time to integrate and 2 girls that were eventually split up. Difficult integrations don't happen often and it's good you are thinking about it. I'd bet for most people a second AID was one of the best decisions they ever made. I think the more information about your lifestyle and your current animals you provide, the better. Pack chemistry is a funny thing. It can be love at first sight -like you've never seen, it can be initially stormy but giving way to friendship equal to or exceeding the difficulty, it can be great initially then with a little teen big for britches. Rarely it can be difficult for an extended period that makes you question your choice. Also I can say that the bear dogs are little habaneros. Good luck and congratulations. As always the forum is here for your joys and your trials.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 7

Great Review Sherab! I second providing Kim with all that info. I totally agree about the habanero!

For me personally, I like the plains type, hey I might be a little biased. Coffey, my sister's dog, is more from the Talhtan lines. He is a lovebug and cuddler, (which Tayamni isn't as much) but man 'little habanero' describes him EXTREMELY well!

That said the two dogs get along great, I think age was more of an issue. The older is a girl and the younger a boy. Tayamni was not quite 1 1/2 years when we got Coffey. I wish she was a little older to be able to help teach Coffey instead of becoming a sibling competitiveness (compete for treats, that 'twindian' thing sschenck described). Her personality is very independent thinking and yet submissive. Once bonded they take turns being the leader with each other. Still, I would have waited another year and let Tayamni mature a little more.

Kadar, don't know if this narrative helps. It's just my view about my girl. I know people who got a second AI dog with their first the same age as mine and it helped calm or mature the first dog. Different personalities????

The one thing I can say is if it is if/when the stars align I will definitely get a third!!!!!!!

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 2
I have 2 boys and they are about 2 years apart. Took awhile for the older one to completely accept his little brother but now they are totally bonded, touching each other constantly. I call them the twindians. I wasn't sure if I wanted a male or female when I decided on a second one and I don't think it makes a difference with this breed, they are all fabulous!

I so hope Tehay will except and be happy to have a new baby sister !

• Like 1

We were focused on getting a girl as we have mostly had girls previously in other breeds. We have a female Belgian Tervuren that was 3 at the time...in discussions with Kim regarding Ripley’s (the Belgian) personality & age, he suggested we go with a boy in order to prevent causing Ripley to become a more dominant “bitch” with another female in the house. We decided to go with a boy and they couldn’t be more bonded. He respects her whole heartedly and she treats him like her pup.

Once again...Kim has provided a perfect match for both us and for Ripley.

Talk with Kim...he will not steer you wrong.

• Like 2

Thank you for the help everyone! Great information that will help in our decision.

• Like 3

Without a doubt, trust Kim. He is magical in choosing what's best for you and the pups. These dogs are so awesome. It's hard saying no to the first one, and the next one, and the one after that. I've got two males, and one female. She has the boys wrapped around her little paws. They "work" together, are polite and take turns with each other, watch out for each other, make up "play games and rules" together, etc. Each one has their own areas of expertise where by that dog is the alpha in that situation. Watching their dynamics is fascinating. Have a grand time with your decision when #2 arrives. What fun you are going to have.

• Like 2