Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Moment Of Realization: Cat-Like Dog

All,

So I had a moment of realization yesterday. My boyfriend and I were talking about our views on dogs. He has the perspective of they should be a loyal companion and do what is required. I have more of the perspective they should have an individual and unique personality and it should be a relationship.

Now, it is well know to all my friends that I am totally a cat person, but I love dogs as well. So what did I do? Went out and found the most cat like temperament of a dog I could find lol. Seriously, I have an extremely playful cat that is full of personality. From everything I've read about these dogs on the forum, it sounds like I'm getting another animal like my cat except I can take this one out for walks.

Does this seem true? Let me know what y'all think?

• Like 6

Wyot certainly loves his cuddles, and noses his way under our arms and hands, making sure we keep petting him. Outside, I swear the way he jumps is totally bob-cat like! Amazing intuition, too...

• Like 4

Kooskie will take 40 minutes, to creep 15 yards, as she stalks the squirrels. She sneaks along just like a cat, just one paw at a time. Slowly, slowly...

Is she moving? They don't know.

I am astounded at her diligence, and her patience. She is very cat-like.

However, her choice of prey is very dog.

• Like 5

My boys don't behave like cats but they do adore their kitties, Opal and Hazel; they snuggle with them any time the cats are willing!

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

I was amazed yesterday as Noquisi was on his back and suddenly left the floor and landed on all fours! He also slowly stalks squirrels and birds. He never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 2

Zuni is cat like in a few ways but the strong streak of independence is the biggest part for me. Definitely not a labrador!

• Like 2

So now that I have Haru, I can say with confidence that I did indeed pick the most cat-like dog I could find. She does all the between the foot with the legs rubs and brushes and the weird contorted sleeping positions. As well as that independence streak. Also, first thing after she wakes up she gets super cuddly and lays down in my lap :wub:

• Like 1

Nakoma is part cat and part fox. ... and part human (he's gotta be).

I will second the part human. My fiance says she's like having a conversation with a 3 year old that has just grasped the meaning of language. "Haru, it's time to go to bed" "No Mom, no bedtime." :lol:

• Like 4

Haru doesn't like bedtime either? LOL!!! Kitchee knows the drill...he's got a towel as his sleep mat (doesn't rip it apart, and it's warm for him). It is disheveled, so works like a snuffle mat- last walk of the night, his harness comes off, and he runs circles all the way to his crate...because he knows he gets 3 tiny kibbles that I throw in there, and he has to search for them...and it's time for sleep, as the door to the crate closes, and I keep repeating "sleep" and "goodnight, Kitchee". Sometimes he settles right away after finding the kibble pieces, other times there are cries of protest for a minute or two (yes, they almost sound human, lol!), and when he finally realizes everyone else has gone to bed...finally, SLEEP.- with an audible sigh, of course!

• Like 2