Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Some Newbie Research Question - Aids Working Drive

Hi!

First off - i am not looking to get a dog any time soon. I am currently studying for a degree in canine behaviour and training and working partime as any number of things (Mostly a groomer, training assistant, kennel hand or dog walker :S )

But i am always about looking forward and trying to find out as much as i can to make informed decissions and plan ahead!

I have seen AIDS used in many capacities but mostly they seem to be companions. One thing that has always fascinated me, and the reason i like the more 'naturalistic' dog breeds is that they generally have the intelligence and drive to handle many different tasks whereas modern dog breeds (And i know the AID, whilst close to the original is still a modern take on it...) can usually only handle the job they were created for, if they can even do that thanks to looks based breeding.

I was wondering what are some 'jobs' which the AID have done and can excell at. I am not so much talking about therapy dogs and such, but herding, retrieving, drafting, sled pulling, tracking etc. etc.

Thanking you in advance,

Sineadmcdos

I like to spend time in the woods, so, my dogs are both great trackers/hunters. My older dog, in particular, will take direction across a field, by hand signal. It was easy to teach him, by taking advantage of his prey drive. He loves a good chase, and will work with me to arrange one.

He quarters, and flushes pheasant, like a champ, but is not limited to birds. He will tell me what animal he is tracking. Or rather, I go down the list, and he lets me know when I've hit the right one.

He is also a natural herder, although we have not taken the time to develop that skill.

More recently, I have taught them both the mushing signals, and they are excellent at pulling me on a scooter. In this activity, prey drive can cause serious accidents, so they have to put it aside. It is quite excellent to see their versatility, and willingness to work with me.

Good luck with your studies.

Hi! I've been working my 3month old on search and find things, like sticks rocks and he will bring the same one back that I throw for him...He has a great nose on him I just let him run in the woods and watch him he can shiff out anything.... Favorite thing is deer droppings funny! But I love watching him run and climb down trees... Training him for Search and Rescue.... He will be the best:)

That is so cool.

I have been very impressed that my dogs have figured out which birds are game and which birds are off limits.

It shows me, in yet another way, that they are sight hounds as well as scent hounds.

I would love to see a picture of your dog with your chickens, when you have the opportunity.

I am working with Jasper- teaching him the preliminaries for Disc Dog work.

At about 6 mo old, I can get a good 20 min of fun "training" out of him most days.

We got his basic obedience fairly reliable, and now I work him on a 15-20' loose cotton line.

He gets very excited when I bring out his Fribbee's and has a whole vocabulary of words associated with them.

Get, Take, Drop, That One (point), Bring (to me), Give (to my hand), Leap, Wait, Go

We are having a blast learning, and I did a bunch of research online for training info.

Speaking of which Natalie, you also want to get your pup to be 'fanatical' about a toy, like a tennis ball, or squeaky toy. It is apparently an integral part of SaR work. We had looked into that as well, but Jas was way more interested in Fribbee than search work. You might want to look into it and coordinate with your local groups/trainers.

I use Fribbee so I am not infringing on That Company's ™ :blink:

Hi and greetings from Finland,

Our Eyota is now almoust 2 years old. She has been very easy to train for anything. We tried agility she was good -me- I was was too busy in a Autum to really put my heart into it.

I thougt her to find wounded birds and she got it after one session. She is not alout to chase birds on a jard and she can just sit beside a baby bird and look how it is doing. when we get into the forest it is a different story. We do a little thing all the time. At summer she learnt to clim up a latter. And she was really showing it off in any possible opportunity

Her main job is to watch out for our daughters. She has taken this job by herself. My daughters are 4 and 6yrs old. If they have a trouble she alarming like a wolf. She brings them toys if the are crying and gives me the looks that makes me feel very guilty. She is by their side when they slide down to hill in a snow.

She is exellent in search, her favorite training thing specially when the girls are involed.

Only thig I haved get been succesful with her is how to open the bin door and how to put rubbish in- This is something we are working with.

We have bears here and when the bears are out and about it - she is informing us. She simply won't allow us to walk to the forrest .I never thought it as a job- just a natural protection thing cause she is not trained for it, but we do take it very seriously and appreciet it.

Just yesterday she was pulling a sled at the very first time. She was a little scared at first and then she just pulled for about a kilometer so we got all the old news papers for the box of recycling. After this she was so happy that I could not stop her jumping wildly ofout of the happines-so she was trained for a job:-)

I think most of the things we do together is somekind of training ,but it is very different way than for example with the german shepards, I have had before. With Eyota is more like communication- she reads me so well and I feel I can hear what she is telling me. It is kind of a talk and the learning comes on a side of it or as a resault of it. I can see she has relatively strong instincs for hunting and herding and baby sitting :blink: but I don't see anything that she would not learn if the relation works. She is very much loved by us and she loves us even more

with all the best Eyota and the reynolds family

Hi And happy holidays,

I have beed teaching my 1year old to do service work Ihave had back problem s from past injury so I have him picking up after me when I drop things sometime I dont relize Ihave done it he learn this in less then 5 minutes . my 3yrs old is a therapy dog and is great comfort for me both dogs.very nurtering . both dog are also hunters they love to hunt deer at the park we go to especially the younger of the two theold will hang by me most of the time but like Allison said they know the differnce whats hunting ok and whats off limits. even to the piont where they can chase them to and where they cant go do to danger .

Hi!

First off - i am not looking to get a dog any time soon. I am currently studying for a degree in canine behaviour and training and working partime as any number of things (Mostly a groomer, training assistant, kennel hand or dog walker :S )

But i am always about looking forward and trying to find out as much as i can to make informed decissions and plan ahead!

I have seen AIDS used in many capacities but mostly they seem to be companions. One thing that has always fascinated me, and the reason i like the more 'naturalistic' dog breeds is that they generally have the intelligence and drive to handle many different tasks whereas modern dog breeds (And i know the AID, whilst close to the original is still a modern take on it...) can usually only handle the job they were created for, if they can even do that thanks to looks based breeding.

I was wondering what are some 'jobs' which the AID have done and can excell at. I am not so much talking about therapy dogs and such, but herding, retrieving, drafting, sled pulling, tracking etc. etc.

Thanking you in advance,

Sineadmcdos

Wow, thank you all for these great replys!

I'm sorry i haven't been able to get back and respond sooner.

These dogs just keep sounding more and more interesting, it is very cool to hear all the different things you have both trained your dogs and that they have picked up on.

It really does seem that because they lack a specilisation that they think and work more naturally, there are very few breeds who can handle such an array of jobs as livestock protection (I second the need for pictures of that, i bet it's adorable!), child minder, tracker, hunter and, from the sounds of it, they could herd if trained.

I have no doubt these guys would be amazing at agility, i work the agility club regularly and the best dogs are usually the ones with higher working drives (Collies and terriers are good examples)

Are there any videos of these dogs working or doing any of the dog sports? I would love to see them, i think the movement, gait and form of a dog can speaks wonders about the breed and it's hard to think about them without visual aids to give you a better idea.

Also, thank you for putting up with these questions, i'm sure it's quite annoying but dogs are essentially my life, i think they're fascinating and i like to learn as much as possible.

I am currently studying for a degree in canine behaviour and training

I think it is fair to say that most, if not all AID owners, have read or are at least familiar with the books by the Monks of New Skete, and the training / teaching of Cesar Millan which has been really helpful to us (me) in understanding these magnificent canines...I hope you keep in touch with us and let us know your findings. Happily, there is always room for more information. Oh the other thing, when you read through this forum, you will find that the people that own AID's are also in training teaching themselves to be "sharp eyed/eared" in understanding the communication between human and canine. It is fascinating how much communication there is, not only in reading body language, the tones of different barks and tones of our words etc., but to the point of reading each others minds.

It has been fun to read the replies to your questions. I'm glad you asked. :ph34r:

I wish you the best of luck to you in your endeavors, and do keep in touch and let us know your findings.

Happy holidays to you and your canine friends and family. :lol: