• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NorCal

NorCal

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:travel yoga hiking gardens family DOGS and water and my new buddy Zuni Blue

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

I know some of you owners do agility with your dogs-and they are very good at it- I have been doing it with Zuni for a year and a half and as far as i can tell he LOVES it - he is extremely enthusiastic and smart as a whip and fast. We are having one issue and i was wondering if anyone else encountered this and how you solved it. He is really fast and when he gets a bit ahead he barks ..like "hey hey hey come on" and jumps on me as i am running which is not normal (the jumping up) . He kind of barks or talks more than I'd like in general---like loud alerts to everything just 1-3 barks "hey look at that" or "hey you forgot me " Zuni always has something to sayIMG_9501.jpeg ... anyway all ideas are appreciated!

#2 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:52 PM

Sorry, no suggestions or solutions...we call it "Bossy Barking." LOVE the photo!

Edited by LakeGirl, 31 October 2018 - 05:53 PM.

"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#3 sschenck

sschenck

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, horses, chickens, goats, primates, every other animal, nature, music, books, my family and my Lord Christ Jesus!

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

My Kai is also a bossy barker. Sometimes quite piercing I might add.

#4 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:01 AM

Tolinka is a bossy barker as well. I've been experimenting on how to tone it down. Basically, I talk to him more, respond faster, and whisper my requests to him.....it's a slow process, but it seems to be working. It seems that when he wants something...he wants it NOW! The loud bark is to remind me that I am not paying attention and not listening to HIM fast enough. It's that communication thing again. I realize that when it all started, I wasn't listening and his bark grew louder and more piercing until I did listen. It is his way to get my attention, and it became a habit. His bark can be so piercing that it make spiders jump....something I witnessed. ha ha. So now I try to respond immediately and his bark is becoming a gentle request rather than a loud demand. It looks like my work with him is successful ......most of the time. Life is good and full of lessons to be learned.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#5 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:30 PM

Hahahahahaha!!! The piercing bark...that's Kitchee...it's "I WANT ATTENTION NOW- THROW THE FRISBEE...NOW...CAN'T YOU SEE IT AT YOUR FEET? I THREW IT THERE"......and he does a hippyety hop dance in front of me...or the "PET ME NOW" sharp bark/whine.... Wyot, in the meantime, sounds like a tire losing air....LOLOLOLOL!!!! He looks at me with those eyes...and just does a subtle but annoying whine...if I look at him- into his eyes, and just stare, and then say NO. Go sit. He tries again, and then finally sits.

#6 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

Kooskie has a high pitched, piercing bark.  I solved the problem by working on the quiet "woof".

Hand signal and voice command "BARK", then treat.  Yes, the bark.  Now, the woof...  Small version of the bark hand signal, and quiet command ...woof.

As soon as she made any quiet sound, I rewarded her.  She is pretty good at it, now.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users