Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Shiloh Update: Southwest And California

We went on a great adventure with Shiloh out West and visited AZ, UT, and CA and the Grand Canyon, Zion (better in Utah out of the park for dogs), Yosemite, Big Sur and San Francisco! There are a number of photos/videos on his instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/shiloh_the_ai_dog/ , but I particularly loved this shot of him at Glacier Point in Yosemite. Also, we talk about how smart these dogs are, and it was just so cool to see him just look out in awe at some of the place that we went to. It was pretty obvious that there was quite a bit going on in that head of his, and he just looked out in what can really only be described as awe.

shiloh-glacier-point_sm.jpg

Edited by jasonparkin
  • Like 5

And one more from the Grand Canyon

desert-dog_sm.jpg

• Like 2

Thnx for sharing all the great Natl Park pics. I'll be doing the same late summer/early fall this year. I was just out to see Kim and Arlene at the ranch in OR last weekend. I visited with Choco and saw Raven. Both are doing well. Kim and Arlene too. Greg stopped by too, his daily routine. WAKA' stayed behind here in MI at her "spa" with 20 of her favorite 4-legged's.

post-89548-0-94439900-1463833299_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice. Just know that there isn't as much that you can do with dogs in the National Parks—they aren't really allowed on trails etc.; especially in Zion.

I had wondered about dog friendliness. We are going out in mid to late october. We did learn that you can have dogs at Devil's garden and Deadhorse campground and you can leave them in your trailer to hike but it's difficult to get a camp site there due to intense competition. I think both have no electricity so that could limit your ability to leave your K9 "at home". I did find this video for the Grand Canyon

It sort of reminds me of the The Addams Family movie, summer camp for some odd reason. I also had no problem booking Trailer Village in the South Rim. You can hike with your dog on the Arizona Trail, just not on the south rim section (section 37 at the Grandview Look out tower onward is ok for dogs). We might do that but with several miles of rim paved trail open to dogs probably not. Why look at dirt and pinion? Would be interested to hear of other dog gems. For example we are camping at Grand junction RV in Colorado because you can leave on the air conditioning and let the pooches chill in the camper and no one will have an aneurysm. We are also only staying one night by lake Powell because the only camping we could find was run by the same group and they were dog anal and super unfriendly on the phone, on the other hand we found a blog for people camping with their dog and they had a great experience at Lake Powell so maybe it's ok.

Yeah, we walked along the paved Southern Rim trail for about a mile (after trying to hike the South Kaibab trail only to see the "No Dogs" sign on the way down), and then ran into to someone who lived there that said "Just go into the woods." which we did. It wasn't the canyon, but it was still nice to be out and Shiloh had a blast: https://www.instagram.com/p/BE5Aw8UvaOA/

• Like 3

Great photos. Shiloh definitely has that intelligent look. That pic from the Grand Canyon (funny, I awoke thinking about the G. Canyon), you can see how he could be invisible in that terrain.

• Like 1

Great Salt Plains in Oklahoma has some dog friendly trails.

I haven't gotten there yet. I am going to visit an elder in Oklahoma during my journey in a few weeks but don't think I'll make it this year to the Salt Plains. :(

Hey - I've heard of this yearly AI Dog gathering that's VERY 4 legged friendly!!!!!!!! :P

• Like 2
Hey - I've heard of this yearly AI Dog gathering that's VERY 4 legged friendly!!!!!!!! :P

You know, now that we know that we can bring him on the plane we may just have to do that :)

• Like 2