Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Good Bye Ida Linda

It is with a heavy heart that I convey the news that we lost the OLP® this evening.

She developed an internal bleeding problem today which progressed to the point where she required emergency exploratory surgery and that was the tipping point. She was of advanced age and of declining health with a history of medical problems (thyroid, liver...etc.) and I felt that this would be unfair to my sweet OLP® after a lifetime of problems. I did not want her to suffer.

I made the difficult choice to put her down with the help of my lovely bride of 27 years, Julie. I couldn't have gotten through this without her.

Liliko'i knew there was something terribly wrong this morning when Ida did not respond in her normal growly/playful self. Ida didn't eat at all today and from about 9 AM on she continued to decline visibly hour over hour. Very, very tough day for all of us but especially my poor sweet OLP®. By 8 O'Clock she had declined to the point where she was having trouble keeping her balance and was breathing very heavily and with great trouble. At that point we went to the emergency vet which is luckily 5 minutes from the house.

X-rays were taken and it was discovered that she was bleeding internally and that she needed to be opened up to determine where the source of the bleeding was. I was shaken but knew this was the moment that we'd all been dreading as she's been on a slow downward spiral all year, I just didn't know what the problem was until today. I had a frank conversation with the vet and got the word that there was a 40% to 50% chance of long term survival...depending on the source of the bleeding. With her history the odds were stacked against her. Considering the high likelihood of bleeding from the liver and her history of liver problems I knew in my heart that this was the source of the trouble and that it was inoperable.

I couldn't put her through a potentially fruitless recovery only to be forced to put her down in a few weeks or months anyway.

Heartwrenching.

She passed peacefully with her head in my hands and her heart firmly entrenched in mine.

She will be missed terribly.

Ida Linda.jpeg

Edited by Chinatola

China, (this is hard) take a deep breath, be thankful in knowing that Ida Linda gave you and your family the most special gift one can possibly give ......unconditional love.

RIP Ida Linda.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it's really great having my virtual 'family' here for support. You're all the best.

Lili is thoroughly confused. Sad little pup today....can't find big sis anywhere.... :(

I realize it might be a little soon for some but.....

We're on the list!! (once our amazingly efficient and world-class postal service delivers the paperwork to Kim).

CT- you are all in our thoughts. Having recently been in a similar place, we are very familiar with the pain and loss.

From what I have read, it sounds like Ida was a Good Dog. And the world will be a smaller place without her heart.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it's really great having my virtual 'family' here for support. You're all the best.

Lili is thoroughly confused. Sad little pup today....can't find big sis anywhere.... :(

I realize it might be a little soon for some but.....

We're on the list!! (once our amazingly efficient and world-class postal service delivers the paperwork to Kim).

Way to go China. :)

• Like 1

Are you guys kiddin' me Mol? How could I not get back on the list what with watching all you fine peoples practically changing the rotation of the Earth with your vibrating excitement of anticipation!!!

:P

Hurts like hell though....I'm not over Elsy yet, July 18, 2011....or Corky for that matter who passed over the bridge in 1986.

My Mom still talks lovingly about Tippy....her wonder mutt from the mid 50's. 'I swear it was like yesterday' she always says.

• Like 1

sorry for you loss i went through the same with my gsd last october and missed her so much i had to make sure i got on kims list it will never replace her but helps fill the hole in my heart ,it is like having to make the choice of putting one of your kids down,

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss yesterday. I too lost someone very dear to me, my mom passed away with me at her side last evening. She is at peace and no longer in pain. Hey, maybe they met on their way up to heaven.

• Like 2

Chinatola, I am so sorry to hear the news. When I read your post earlier tonight, I had tears streaming down my face. I realized that I was crying for a dog, whom I had never met and for an owner I hadn't met either. I think I was crying more for my past loss and my fear of losing again. What is remarkable is this forum. Because of everyone's willingness to share, I am so dialed in to everyone's joys and fears, and thats why I feel your loss deeply. As people often say with parenting, "it takes a village." I'm grateful for your post tonight and for this A.I.D. village.

• Like 5

I realized that I was crying for a dog, whom I had never met and for an owner I hadn't met either.

... I'm grateful for your post tonight and for this A.I.D. village.

I feel very sorry for the AIDog owners that just want the dog.

Those that choose to not join the forum. They do not know the wonder, the joys, and the sorrows of this amazing resource.

Over the years, I have gotten to know so many good folks here.

I have always thought of this forum as my AIDog Tribe.

Like the AmIndians, we may live in family groups spread over the land, but we are all related through blood. This time though, it is our dog's blood that binds us.

Where else could you type a few words of grief into the ether and find that somewhere on the other end, someone reads it and earnestly reaches out with their heart and soul and tries to comfort a total stranger?

• Like 2

Lisa I like that- "maybe they met on the way up to heaven." :) I'm glad you were able to be there for her.

"Where else could you type a few words of grief into the ether and find that somewhere on the other end, someone reads it and earnestly reaches out with their heart and soul and tries to comfort a total stranger?" - Star

Isn't that the truth.

• Like 2

Chinatola, I am so sorry to hear the news. When I read your post earlier tonight, I had tears streaming down my face. I realized that I was crying for a dog, whom I had never met and for an owner I hadn't met either. I think I was crying more for my past loss and my fear of losing again. What is remarkable is this forum. Because of everyone's willingness to share, I am so dialed in to everyone's joys and fears, and thats why I feel your loss deeply. As people often say with parenting, "it takes a village." I'm grateful for your post tonight and for this A.I.D. village.

Kim, with our increasingly conscious participation, is weaving a dog-hair blanket we all are wrapped in.

With a warp and a woof, we are woven into family.

Woof means that which is woven. The woof is usually the cross-threads that hold the whole length together.

That certainly describes our dogs holding us all together in this village blanket.

And none of this lessens the discomfort and pain; only strengthens & supports us while we walk together.

To me, these dogs and this forum aren't just nice. To me, they are vital -- part of my nourishment; closer than breathing; nearer than hands & feet.

Take care, family. Know you are loved. Your pain and your joy are shared.

• Like 4

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

The loss of a cherished fur-kid is one thing (a pretty big one thing actually) but the loss of a parent is millions of orders of magnitude greater and infinitely harder to bear. I am fortunate that both my parents are still with us and still in a state of good health but they are in their late 70's now and it is obvious that they are slowing down and nearing the end of their time here with us. The mere thought of losing them creates a dread in me that I cannot effectively put into words. I can only imagine what torturous emotions that you're going through at this time and my heart goes out to you and your family. Thank you so much for your kinds words of comfort they are graciously and warmly accepted and acknowledged.

If they did meet on the path over the bridge rest assured that Ida provided a safe and guarded path for your mother to travel and in that case I would like to think that your Mom would help my old girl along that path as well by tossing her ball for her to retrieve along the way.

Thank you too to Ooca and Joyous and everyone else...I appreciate the kind words.

I am constantly amazed by this community....

• Like 1

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. I'm sure this was a blessing. I can't imagine anything better on the journey over the Rainbow Bridge than to have all those wonderful canines in my life greeting me there to see me across. May her passing be a grateful one.

Thanks to all of you for your lovely condolences. My mom is at peace and no longer suffering. Her funeral mass is this coming Tuesday. We got a chance to see her today, she looks so great. I know that she will always watch over us and I feel comforted knowing that. My mom lived 93 great years!

Lisa and family

• Like 1

China, Star, Lisa, and any others (active or lurking) experiencing loss: We are sorry for your loss, and welcome your sharing of memories. Thank you for sharing; you honor us by offering the chance to let us share in your loss, past joys, and anticipation of future joys. Sleeping puppy snuggles is highly therapeutic. Abaiya's family

thanks Nash...thanks everybody...it's been a difficult week for us here but we're getting along okay now...

• Like 1

I'm among the ranks of the mouning, too. The sense of loss still overwhelms me sometimes, but we'll all eventually get to the point where the thought of our loved one will make us smile rather than cry.

• Like 1

I do oftimes smile at their memories, but..

It has been about 8 months since we lost Mina. While we were at work recently, Isis (Opal's mom, and one of my bestest friends) showed me a video from our February trip to the beach... All it took was hearing Mina's voice in the background, clearly saying "Hey you kids, be careful.." It was all I could do not to break down and cry at work.

mina.jpg

And yes, I still occasionally cry for Gypsy. My first dog, back in the mid-late '80s. Who we suspect may have been one of Kim's unsanctioned outcrosses from decades ago. Jasper reminds me So much of her.. I agree with Kim. Dog souls do reincarnate :)

GypsJas.jpg

• Like 1