Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Retired Breeders For Adoption

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it is long past time to update this. Nova has been adopted out to a home in southern Oregon. Ice Blue and Peyote are still available. We can also add Chawa and Fawn to the list. A picture of

I have Blue Bird (Blue), a retired breeder who is eight years old. At SDK, Blue was in a compound with seven in the pack and she was not the top dog. When I brought her home, she only had Anoki here.

Posted Images

I have resigned myself to the fact that Coffey needs to settle a bit before we can add to the pack and so we just continue with his consistent training.

He is great - I love Coffey and everything he is. It is just a shock to go from training a smart and independent minded Therapy Dog personality to smart STUBBORN head strong one!

The acupuncture is working well (for his shoulder and also for his focus) - or he's just reached a stage where he's maturing - I don't care which is working for his focus as long as something is working and he is not as reactive and is starting to come back to front brain and check in with us.

Persistance and Patience ..... B)

Back to Adopting a Retired Breeder:

I DID make note of Greg's post in another topic about shedding brushes ...... his grooming the dogs with different tools and made a mental note of the time he puts in and gives us clues about life at SDK.

We have also seen pictures of Kim hiking with packs and other things.

Even though the breeders may be outside in large kennels, they seem to definitely be socialized and handled well by humans. It's not like a wild pack of feral dogs.

I realize all dogs have their own personalities and energy level. Hence why we are to call Kim and discuss with him if interested .... he would have a very good idea which dog may work out best for an adopter & the new pack. Of course we need to communicate our current dogs temperaments, etc.

Allison you've been to SDK enough and know Kim, I've never been out there and don't know, but this is what I piece together .... would this be pretty accurate?

• Like 2

My original thoughts on this were not that the retired breeders would in any way be wild or feral, it's obvious that Kim loves each one of them and I'm sure they're better trained than what we have accomplished with Kaposia. My concern was that the dog would be happy with a change in lifestyle.

• Like 1

I have Blue Bird (Blue), a retired breeder who is eight years old. At SDK, Blue was in a compound with seven in the pack and she was not the top dog. When I brought her home, she only had Anoki here. By choice, she remained an outside dog but she does well inside too. Maddie has since been added to the pack and we often have visiting AIDogs which stay for a few days to months at a time. Blue loves the smaller pack where there is no real competition and she is very happy.

The dogs that Kim has offered up for adoption are dogs he feels will be able to adjust well with a family. There are a few dogs which will always remain at SDK and would not do well away form their current pack. Kim recognizes this and would never even try to adopt them out, not that they are vicious or anything, they just would not do well with change. Each dog at SDK has a special place in Kim's heart but he knows that he must retire dogs and adopt them out in order keep younger breeders to keep the bloodlines fresh. A majority of these retired dogs will do well with other dogs and there are a couple that are more independent and would not need another dog . If interested, or if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Edited by Greg
  • Like 5