Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

New Pup Zephyr Home In Texas

Hi everyone!

I am still getting a hang of the forum (navigating and figuring out where to post), so I hope I am posting this in the right place! I picked up Zephyr last Friday and then traveled around Oregon with him for a few days - then finally flew him home with me to Texas! I am an experienced dog owner (growing up with dogs and raising two Huskies on my own) and own a Doggie Daycare/Boarding facility, so I thought I was prepared for everything this little guy could throw at me...but even so he is the feistiest pup I have ever raised! We are working on crate training, which is a battle let me tell you :( -- he screams...not cries, but screams! He is slowly improving, but he has to sleep in bed with me every night to be a happy pup - I normally only allow bed privileges when dogs are older, but seeing as I am in an apartment, I don't want my neighbors to be upset with me haha....and I have to say, he is really sweet when he sleeps with me, just cuddles up next to me and will sometimes sleep the whole night through! I have to crate him at the business, since he doesn't have all his shots yet, but once he is old enough, he will be playing and socializing all day with other doggies :D

Anyways - to the good stuff - he did awesome while traveling, took everything like a champ! We did some light walking trails, etc. and he just trucks along the whole trail! He loves exploring and drew a crowd of people everywhere we went. He is SO smart, already knows his name and learned sit in about two attempts. I have been using some positive reinforcement to teach him "no" since he tries to get into everything...he caught on really quick, I say no and he immediately stops what he is doing and looks at me, then I praise him. He still gets some "tough love" too when he is being too persistent about something. My female husky gets along great with him! - he is a little confident guy, so she is careful to keep him in his place (low end of the totem pole ;) )

He is very sweet though and has such an expressive little face, my Dad is smitten with him! He has learned to stalk which is hilarious since he is so tiny! Potty training is still hit or miss, I live on the 5th floor of an apartment, so when we aren't at my business, it's a little more tricky to get him out every 30min-1hour.

Overall I think he is a great pup! I am learning from him everyday and am excited to see him grow!

And I forgot to mention, it blows my mind how attached to me he is already. I really feel as though he is in tune with me! Even at Kim's I have a video I took where all the pups were playing and he was laying off on the other side of the pen. I made a kissing noise and he was the only one who perked up and came trotting over...I think he already knew he would be coming home with me :D

DSC_0006_cr.jpg

DSC_0011_cr.jpg

DSC_0035_cr.jpg

DSC_0065_cr.jpg

DSC_0090_cr.jpg

DSC_0096_cr.jpg

DSC_0124_cr.jpg

DSC_0178_cr.jpg

DSC_0166_cr.jpg

Edited by nrrosque
  • Like 8
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite pic so far - shows how happy...and silly they are together!

Hi everyone!   I am still getting a hang of the forum (navigating and figuring out where to post), so I hope I am posting this in the right place! I picked up Zephyr last Friday and then traveled a

Zephyr has so much personality! If you ever want to have a mini AID reunion let me know. We're in Little Elm and have a big fenced in yard where they could get to know each other. There are 2 more

Posted Images

Those are some great pictures! Zephyr is a beautiful puppy. Love his coloring and his eyes! It's awesome that you can take him to work with you and that he'll have plenty of playmates too. These little guys really are different than other puppies. Ours has been quite the challenge, but he also has the most loving gentle soul! There are a couple of us with AIDs in the DFW area. You can check the forum for Boone, Kito and Bandit. We try to get them together to play. Boone is an "only child" so he especially loves the play dates where he can play with other AIDs that understand how he plays. So happy to see another of these special dogs coming to this area.

• Like 2

Those are some great pictures! Zephyr is a beautiful puppy. Love his coloring and his eyes! It's awesome that you can take him to work with you and that he'll have plenty of playmates too. These little guys really are different than other puppies. Ours has been quite the challenge, but he also has the most loving gentle soul! There are a couple of us with AIDs in the DFW area. You can check the forum for Boone, Kito and Bandit. We try to get them together to play. Boone is an "only child" so he especially loves the play dates where he can play with other AIDs that understand how he plays. So happy to see another of these special dogs coming to this area.

That would be fantastic! Once he's of age, I would love to get him together with some other AIDs!! Thanks!

• Like 1

Wow he's got amazing eyes and the puppy fuzz is just killing me. Get use to the crowd it doesn't go away. It's unlike anything you have ever experienced with any other dog. Many of us have business cards made up for our dogs to make things easier. Keep an eye on him more than you might otherwise (take care not to make an opportunity for someone to walk off with him). It's odd but it's like walking a unicorn.

Don't fret over the bed sleeping. We've done that with our 2 with zero potty problems. Waki slept at our feet like a cat until Cake. Then he decided he was a "big boy" and let her have his spot. She's almost 2 and still sleeps on our feet. It's nice in winter.

There are some threads on crate training - some AID dogs take to it and others are much more challenging. Miz Molly put the crate on the bed and stuck her arm in. Some like blankets and toys and others eat same. Some like a Kong toy with food inside others not so much. Since you work with dogs it's probably no surprise - nothing works 100% - you have to keep trying until you figure out what works for This Dog. The key is never give up. These little guys are quirky but sooner or later you'll find something that works.

Take lots of pictures - they grow fast. Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

I see a future "dog of the month" picture.

He is just so handsome! If you think you get lots of oohs and awhsssss just wait, more on the way as he matures.

Congrats.

• Like 2

Oh geez, you've taken some great photos!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I have been reading a lot more on the forum, which has been really encouraging me and helping me - I am so glad for this forum and for all of you and your support!

Update: His ears are now both up and he is still picking things up so fast - he is so attentive to me. My Husky girl Remi and him are really hitting it off now, just wrestling all the time, they LOVE each other! The potty training is going well, we still have our messes, but I am getting the hang of his schedule and when he needs to go.

@Sherab, thanks so much for the advice! The crate training is still rough, I have one crate set up at the apartment, just open and treat treat treat whenever he goes in there. I haven't closed him in the apartment crate yet. He is getting slightly better with the crate at the business, screams about 10 minutes, quiet for 30 minutes, then screaming again...I just bought a treat dispenser toy, we will see if that helps - I thought about the kong, but he is so smart, I wanted to give him something a little more challenging - I have noticed that he gravitates towards the more mentally stimulating toys when at home. He has been doing great sleeping in bed with me still (hopefully he will be like your Waki and just naturally gravitate to the floor), which I have become fine with, I'll just wean him out of it as he gets older and more trustworthy when not being watched on the floor. He is pretty good about not getting into stuff now though.

Again, thanks everyone! I will have to get some updated pics of him with ears up - I also need to set up a YouTube, I have some cute videos of him with his sister.

- Side note, does anyone have a dog Instagram? I follow Tamarack on Instagram, but haven't been able to find any more AI Dogs : my dog account is @sing.me.a.rhapsody

• Like 2

I print my own "business" cards. On the back I usually put:

American Indian Dogs -- SongDog Kennel -- http://www.indiandogs.com/

Puppy Page -- http://www.indiandogs.com/pups1.html (My new cards will have this page. Thanks, Kim, Allison & all)

~~~~

Positive Training

Soundbyte overview: Ian Dunbar's TED Talk at: http://www.ted.com/talks/ian_dunbar_on_dog_friendly_dog_training

Practical Application: 3LostDogs at http://3lostdogs.com

Advanced Philosophy: Michael Ellis at http://michaelellisschool.com/videos.htm

~~~~

I handed out my last two cards at the dog park this week to separate individuals who recently lost their eldest dog and now they are looking for a puppy for their surviving dog.

Time to reprint..... Oh, and by the way, I got the training references from one of the young elders here -- Thanks again, and as always, Starghotti.

~~~~

And,nrrosque, welcome to the family and the community. Truly is priceless. As they say, valuable and invaluable.

OMG, could we tell you stories! And, if you've been reading the Forum, you've heard some of the heart-opening and heart-rending highs and lows that we -- as individuals and as a family -- have been through.

You got involved in more than you bargained for!! :)

• Like 4

I print my own "business" cards. On the back I usually put:

American Indian Dogs -- SongDog Kennel -- http://www.indiandogs.com/%C3%82%C2%A0]http://www.indiandogs.com/ [/url]

Puppy Page -- http://www.indiandogs.com/pups1.html]http://www.indiandogs.com/pups1.html[/url] (My new cards will have this page. Thanks, Kim, Allison & all)

~~~~

Positive Training

Soundbyte overview: Ian Dunbar's TED Talk at: http://www.ted.com/talks/ian_dunbar_on_dog_friendly_dog_training]http://www.ted.com/talks/ian_dunbar_on_dog_friendly_dog_training[/url]

Practical Application: 3LostDogs at http://3lostdogs.com/]http://3lostdogs.com[/url]

Advanced Philosophy: Michael Ellis at http://michaelellisschool.com/videos.htm%C3%82%C2%A0]http://michaelellisschool.com/videos.htm [/url]

~~~~

I handed out my last two cards at the dog park this week to separate individuals who recently lost their eldest dog and now they are looking for a puppy for their surviving dog.

Time to reprint..... Oh, and by the way, I got the training references from one of the young elders here -- Thanks again, and as always, Starghotti.

~~~~

And,nrrosque, welcome to the family and the community. Truly is priceless. As they say, valuable and invaluable.

OMG, could we tell you stories! And, if you've been reading the Forum, you've heard some of the heart-opening and heart-rending highs and lows that we -- as individuals and as a family -- have been through.

You got involved in more than you bargained for!! :)

----------------------------------------

@ Gib thanks so much, the business card thing sounds great! Also Michael Ellis is my idol, I own a ton of his DVDs and one day hope to make it out to one of his workshops! His technique is just amazing and so well thought out :D

Edited by nrrosque
Updated pics - Look, both my ears are up! :D

He's pretty much potty trained now, yay. The crate is still a nightmare for him, tried peanut butter kongs, but he is more concerned about the fact that he is separated from me (this is all at the business, I haven't crated him at my apartment yet)...will try crating him in apartment while I am there, where he can see me and give him little puppy chews (bullysticks) see if that helps.

He is doing awesome on everything else though! Here are some pics of him playing with his sister - love his tiny little snarls haha

DSC_0225_cr.jpg

DSC_0232_cr.jpg

DSC_0262_cr.jpg

DSC_0282_Cr.jpg

DSC_0290_cr.jpg

DSC_0316_cr.jpg

DSC_0320_Cr.jpg

DSC_0367_crop.jpg

DSC_0371_crop.jpg

DSC_0372_crop.jpg

• Like 4

Crated pups right by the bed, so that you can roll over and stick your fingers through the grate and touch them.....that is what has worked for us, with all the pups that we've had through here on their way to their homes. Sometimes I have to fall asleep touching them through the grate, but it's okay.

I have to do this so I don't keep every one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

So today we worked on trying to get Zephyr to like swimming...he absolutely hates the water :blink: - he is especially pathetic when I have to take him potty out in the rain haha...anyways, he did okay. The water is still freezing right now, but I may have to brave it one of these weekends and go in with him to help him (I taught all my dogs by getting in with them and by having another dog around who loves to swim that they could watch) - he has been watching his sister Remi and I can tell he wants to try it but is scared. I worked on getting him to stand on the first step which he liked, but then took one step to far and dumped in the water (no worries, I was right there to grab him)...alas he can swim though haha, I helped get him to the step and then he wanted no more of the whole pool-time thing! He does look like such a little mangy mongrel when wet :rolleyes:

Potty training is going awesome! I am teaching him some little tricks - he almost has "play dead" down and we are still working on his crate training...it's a slow progression.

Some naughty behaviors that leave me laughing - if I happen to leave my shoes out, he loves stealing them and then running off, it's probably the cutest thing I have ever seen...I do go find him to give him a stern no...but I honestly can't help laughing the whole time I am chasing him - the shoes are as big as he is and he just prances away with them all proud! I also love when he gets the zoomies (which this one of course isn't a naughty behavior), one minute he's calm and then he's off like a little rabbit - so funny!

We have had so much rain here, so I only have a couple pics of the wet little mongrel...and yes that is his sisters fur hanging out of his mouth in one of the pics ^_^ -- oh yeah and check out his little "lazy ear" - that one just refuses to stand fully up, I am wondering if it will stay that way? I think it's endearing!

ps. My Dad who was very adamant about not wanting another dog after their current 3 dogs pass away, is now obsessed with Zephyr and plans on getting an AIdog in a few years. The extra pups left over that Kim posted about was really tempting for my parents...my Dad is just so infatuated with Zephyr and both my parents are amazed at how smart and mature he is for his age :lol::lol:

DSC_0456_cr.jpg

DSC_0484_cr.jpg

Edited by nrrosque
  • Like 3

Lili is not a big fan of water...doesn't like rain or damp dew in the morning...sometimes walking on it like it's a lake of lava! Kona though would give Diana Nyad a run for her money! (obscure enough reference everybody?)

We got caught in a down pour at the dog park day before yesterday. All of us were thoroughly soaked. Lili was beside herself, I had to ask who that was standing next to her...nerf nerf (thanks Hal Roach...& the obscure references continue). She was not amused at the sudden weather change and bolted under a rather busted up picnic table that left very little protection. Kona on the other hand just lit up! She went ultra-zoomy when the rain started and didn't calm down for an hour after we got back home. Nutcase.

• Like 4

That little wet pup has got to be the cutest ever. What a shot. :D love the lazy ear, and the tuft of fur coming out of his mouth. He looks like he gives you one belly laugh after another...... :lol: Mr Personality.

• Like 2

With those eyes and that coat you could put him through college if you save a quarter every time someone asks "is that a fox?". And yes he is foxie.

Lili is not a big fan of water...doesn't like rain or damp dew in the morning...sometimes walking on it like it's a lake of lava! Kona though would give Diana Nyad a run for her money! (obscure enough reference everybody?)

We got caught in a down pour at the dog park day before yesterday. All of us were thoroughly soaked. Lili was beside herself, I had to ask who that was standing next to her...nerf nerf (thanks Hal Roach...& the obscure references continue). She was not amused at the sudden weather change and bolted under a rather busted up picnic table that left very little protection. Kona on the other hand just lit up! She went ultra-zoomy when the rain started and didn't calm down for an hour after we got back home. Nutcase.

Haha yea Zephyr just stands there looking super pathetic when we get caught in the rain - hopefully he will warm up to it like Kona and get the happy zoomies!!

• Like 1

That little wet pup has got to be the cutest ever. What a shot. :D love the lazy ear, and the tuft of fur coming out of his mouth. He looks like he gives you one belly laugh after another...... :lol: Mr Personality.

With those eyes and that coat you could put him through college if you save a quarter every time someone asks "is that a fox?". And yes he is foxie.

Thanks @miz molly and @sherab ! He really does look like a fox, I just love his coat :wub: and yes, he does have SO much personality, keeps me laughing all the time!!

Edited by nrrosque
  • Like 1

Awesome pic. Definitely look happy together.

• Like 2

Now that shot gave me my first morning giggle with coffee. A great way to start the day...thanks

• Like 3

That is really funny.

• Like 2