Recent Bot Attack

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

Members,

We have recently been hit by a new type of attack. It is a bot (computer generated) attack, that tries to break in through member accounts. It has not succeeded, but several accounts were locked out automatically--a safety feature.

It has primarily hit those people who have allowed their email addresses to become public.

If you experience trouble logging on, or get a notice that your account has been locked, rest assured we will fix it asap, and you should then notify the Admins, as I want to know what you experience.

Please use the PM system to exchange private information, such as, email addresses, and phone numbers.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#2 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

We believe it originates from Europe, and came in through an email group. Email groups display email addresses, and as such lend themselves to this kind of attack.

If anyone wishes information on this bot, write the admins. Happy to disclose what we have learned. Always good to share info that stops these creeps.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#3 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

We have had no further problems. However, if you experience any disruption, please let us know.

Again, it has been primarily people attached to an email group.

--David Dunning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users