Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Felicity And Saluations From Cookie Land

IMG_4347.jpg Today's greeting is brought to you by the letter C and the color Brown. Happy Spring. Although I'm not sure I believe it. It's been faux spring 5 times already. Sure the robins are back and last night about 30 sand hill cranes flew over head but I'm still suspicious. IMG_4344 (1).jpg Although Cake is looking Brown and that's the color of dirt so maybe, just maybe it's time.

We are waiting for a glass kiln. IMGP1336 (1).jpg I made this "ornament" in class and I have the materials to make my own here in the studio. Hopefully the kiln will get here and I'll work out the firing schedule and the decal printing process so that we can consider making some keep sakes for this year's micro gathering. The studio elves are certainly ready to appear from nowhere and help. IMGP1471.jpgIMGP1553 (1).jpgIMGP1546 (1).jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 7
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's greeting is brought to you by the letter C and the color Brown. Happy Spring. Although I'm not sure I believe it. It's been faux spring 5 times already. Sure the robins are back and last night

Today's guest story tellers are River Otter and Tree Stump. The seasons have changed but not much else at Cookie Land. There was wood cut season. Quite right. Not a bad way to go, for us dead trees

Spring, a time when the birds are singing and chocolate squirrels are falling from trees in front of little black and white dogs. Warm sun shines causes reptiles to sun themselves only to be kicked of

Posted Images

I want one,...or two.

• Like 1

I don't want to be greedy; one house elf would be plenty.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

oh how cool is that!

• Like 2

C, it looks like Lilli on a white or light background with not too much detail in the background or Kona on a uniformly dark background - think school photos - works best.

• Like 1

Uhhh school photos?????

Your work is excellent - no comparison :wub:

• Like 1

A few spring pictures. Not quiet uploading like in the past. Will have to try again when I have more time.

IMG_4687 (3).jpgIMG_4699 (1).jpgIMG_4718 (1).jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 3

IMG_4685 (2).jpgNot sure why my photos are uploading as either little - same size as thumb print so don't bother to click on them or Ginormous but I'll have to solve that another day. Right now they are uploaded as ginormous in case you wish to view the flowers. The leaves have unfurled here. It's glorious spring. The little dogs favorite place is not the wee bridge Scott built. Its outside the fence so still slightly forbidden. Hope your spring is likewise glorious.IMG_4707 (2).jpgIMG_4740 (2).jpgIMG_4754.jpgIMG_4757.jpgIMG_4759 (1).jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

I want a bridge, now, too.

That photo with the two of them tugging on the frisbee is such a familiar site in my world.

Lovely.

• 1 month later...

IMG_0672.jpgIMG_0694 (1).jpgIMG_0676 (1).jpgIMG_0680 (1).jpg Well summer is just flying by, isn't it. We had a historic flood in Mid Michigan in June which has resulted in epic mosquitoes like the kind I haven't seen since leaving the Gulf Coast of Texas. Thankfully we can excape to the Upper Peninsula where the bugs seem like noting in comparison (go figure).IMG_0673 (1).jpg

Looks like we have found a new K9 family member. A year old Belgian Shepherd. We are going out to meet him on Friday with the little dogs. I have loved having this year with just the little guys but my husband misses having a big working dog. I also miss having a dog that scares off the coyotes by mere existence. I also think the little dogs miss just being nuts together. It's nice for them when someone else is on patrol and they don't have to be bothered with serious business. I think the little dogs miss having a big dog too. Since this thread is already quite long I will close on this note and open a new adventure thread with new stories.

• Like 3

Oh Are you getting a Terv? My last dog was a female terv. Sweetest dog ever--so easy to train! Good luck.

Looks like we have found a new K9 family member. A year old Belgian Shepherd. We are going out to meet him on Friday with the little dogs. I have loved having this year with just the little guys but my husband misses having a big working dog. I also miss having a dog that scares off the coyotes by mere existence. I also think the little dogs miss just being nuts together. It's nice for them when someone else is on patrol and they don't have to be bothered with serious business. I think the little dogs miss having a big dog too. Since this thread is already quite long I will close on this note and open a new adventure thread with new stories.

Oh Tervuren's are beautiful. I was in decision between Groenendael's and Vizslas before I found A.I.D.s

Which breed is it though? When you google Belgian Shepards, there are four breeds that fall into this category. The Tervurens, Groenendaels, Malinois, and the Lakenois.

I think he's a Goofusinois. We were talking to a trainer about good kennels that breed sound GSDs and this big goofy guy plopped down on my lap. He IS obedience trained, though. Malinois. He does kind of look like a giant AID and he does the butt rub and between the legs kitty thing AIDs do. We did research the breed after meeting Sir G0ofus. I don't think we'd consider the breed at all if he weren't older, obedience trained and so well thought of by his foster. I do also like that he is well constructed. I was dreading trying to find that well built, smart GSD (which certainly means looking at working lines) with that Show Line go anywhere temperament. We had looked at 2 older GSDs and even though they were great dogs from working lines there is just this wobbliness in the hind legs that has crept in.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Well the Goofusinois was beautifully trained. Best dog on leash ever. Yet soon we learned that he needed to put on pants and go to a real job every day. Long walks and yard play + an event on week ends wasn't going to cut it. Since, and I mean this with all sincerity vs my usual jokiness: I did not want to look for a job in law enforcement or airport bomb sniffing or buy a working ranch we re homed him. In his new home he is presently trained and fully capable of going into police or military or serious civilian work and employed as a dog trainer - working with large breed dogs that are dog aggressive. Apparently he has a gift for teaching them to learn to be dogs with other dogs. It probably also helps that he was 80 lbs on his way to possibly 120. Also demonstrating to new service dogs in training the correct way to be a working dog.

We now have a Fenris. He's a GSD from a sire that has consistently thrown healthy, well constructed dogs with good temperaments. One of his much older brothers or half brother did movie work this year. It was not easy finding him. We hired a service and they evaluated 17 GSDs before fining this one. I marvel at Kim for keeping his AID breed well constructed, smart and healthy. It's tragic when a breed is nearly ruined to the point that one seriously considers a substitute breed and doubts finding just the basics - temperament, health and intelligence. Cake and Waki are adjusting very well. Waki is mr responsible papa beetle bug. Showing the baby how to be off leash, how to be good in the car, how to be good in the house, etc. Cake is seriously mothering this pup too. Both of them had not really recovered from the death of our GSD Shiva over 1 year ago. Neither would play very long and both still spent too much time as mopey floor flounders. They are now back to hair on fire playing.

IMG_1069.png

IMG_1084 (1).png

IMG_4337.png

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the new family member! Your comment on Kim's ability to keep his bloodlines healthy is so true. After struggling with recurrent tape worms all summer (Ms. K just kept finding bunnies to eat) we were finally able to submit that last stool sample proving to be parasite free...yay! The vet wanted to actually see Kaposia for an exam also at this point. Whenever we bring her in, we can hear the vet mumbling under her breath about "fantastic genetics, muscle tone, joints." She smiles as she examines Kaposia, and I can tell she appreciates the ease with which she can conduct the exam, checking the mouth, ears, eyes, abdomen, anus, listening to the heart, checking along the spine...none of it is a struggle as Kaposia has such a fantastic nature. This time her final comment was "Whatever he's doing with these dogs is absolutely wonderful!"

• Like 1

Thanks Lakegirl. I will be holding my breath until Fen is 2 on his hips and joints. He moves well and his relatives are reasonably solid but still one worries...Had him out to an ability trial (just held him and walked around) for socialization and also heard about how it's nearly impossible to find a good Irish Setter any more.

• Like 1

Y'know...it absolutely breaks my heart to hear things like that. It is all not only unnecessary, but WRONG. We humans have been given a sacred trust when it comes to domesticated animals, and they suffer for our sense of "aesthetics." But really, what's not to like about how AID's look? Kaposia still stops people in their tracks when they see her for the first time and ask, "What kind of a dog is THAT!?" People just can't get over what a beauty she is, and then they pet her and talk to her and are impressed all over again. Hoping Fen won the gene pool lottery.

• Like 1