Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

speakin of... richie PM me a list of books if you would please. I need to freshin up. I just always did the monks of new skeet-art of raising a puppy and the other one. When I eventually get an AIDog I would like to know how to draw out the very best of his intelligence.

I used the Monks for training Coyo from the start, and the only problem was, he was so far ahead of the class, that we were bored stiff.

I loved that book and it's approach to training from day 1 of your relationship.

Unfortunately my Buddy (bender) a doberman passed away on Thanksgiving as well... odd coincidence.

I just adopted a Very smart breed this weekend (Dutch Shepherd) so I enjoy a good working dog as well. Obedience classes start next Wednesday and go for 8 weeks, hopefully He'll be well trained and ready to meet his new little brother by the end :D

I'm open to all training methods, so if you can point me in a direction that you've used to train your Ovcharka and other dogs I'd love to read up. I've read up on everything from Ian Dunbar to Cesar Milan and everything in between (Schutzhund, compulsion etc.)

Hi T.R.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it is a very sad day to lose such wonderful companions.

So you have adopted a Dutchie eh? Well very good for you! They are great working dogs. Training my CO was a completely different "creature" as they are not like other breeds, they are very Intelligent/Independent and sometimes believe they know better. CO's are a dominate dog breed but as far as Rank drive nothing like a GSD or Mal (dutchies can also fit in w/rank too). Once Badur and I were on the same page though he was my best bud (I often refered to him as the "Baby" while others often called us LumberJack Rich and his Big Badur Dog in reference to Paul Bunyon and Babe the Big Blue Ox - Bwahahaha)

As for your training all I can say is consistency, consistency, consistency! Here is a link to FalaWoods in IL that explains some training philosohy

http://falawoods.com/philosophy.phtml

Jon is a mentor and close personal friend of mine as well as the best dog trainer I have ever met

Richard

speakin of... richie PM me a list of books if you would please. I need to freshin up. I just always did the monks of new skeet-art of raising a puppy and the other one. When I eventually get an AIDog I would like to know how to draw out the very best of his intelligence.

Hey Jason,

got an error message when I tried to send to PM you. Not sure what I did???

As for a list of books, I'm not sure I have books good for the breed :D most books i have are geared towards protection/decoy work. Though I know Leerburg has DVD's on pack structure and OB. You could look there. Sorry if this doesnt help you.

Richard

We have had some evil spammers who use the pm system from your position as non-iidoba member. So the rights have been rescinded for now.

Thanks for the links.

Here is a nice quote from Falawoods in reference to training with a loose leash:

"So remember, the leash is used for correction, not control."

It is all a bit too aggressive for me. And yes, I feel that is the accurate word. Of course I understand, fully, the need for this type of training in a police dog. However, I also see the Canine Units, with the warnings to stand clear.

I don't have too many books I could recommend... I love Merles Door, not for training, but for a great story, with a lot of fact on Canids. For Training I have read Cesar's Books, not that I agree with his methods, but he's spot on with the psychology. I'm going to pick up the Monks Book, I've heard good things. My personal approach is read as much as you can, and find a balance between methods. I don't believe in the 100% positive reinforcement method, but I'm also totally against a dedicated Yank and Crank (compulsion) training method. Leerburg.com (Ed Frawley) has some great ideas on training and great methods, but I think he's crazy. He has some very different views on things, like Only 1 Trainer per dog PERIOD. Every member of his family has their own dog, and no member of the family can play with, or command another members dog. (weird) And also NO STRANGERS can pet his dogs... PERIOD not just his GSD working dogs but his family Pets as well. But I think his Marker training is a great method! and very positive.

A few ideas I like from Leerburg: "We never correct a dog for a command he doesn't know 100%" , "We set our dogs up to succeed, not fail"

My best advice is know your dog, and train in a method that works for you both.

T.R.

Excellent post!!! Yes know your dog and what goals you have for your dog. Asking and reading as much as possible, then using techniques that work best for you.

I agree Mr Frawley is a bit out there. Though he does have some good ideas, you just have to look though every thing.

Richard

yea but how well can you know your dog when they are 4mo.'s old and you start w/ the training...some may be smarter than others but they are still goofy silly lil pups.

This topic however is spanning two different threads so I started a new one we can move to in the training and tips section...I would love to continue this discussion there please so all this good info doesn't get glanced over b/c its in diff threads.

Real good stuff guys

My best advice is know your dog, and train in a method that works for you both.

Here, here. Especially the know your dog part. This dog is not large, and a smart, thinking breed.