Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

So, now Wyot has become comfortable in his surroundings.He is SO playful, so funny, chasing his tail, rolling around on the floor, and tossing his toys in the air and catching them! I still cannot believe he is so incredibly smart at this young age....he SITS when I tell him to. He looks up when I call his name. He is in full teething mode, and of course, tries to nip at my boots, my pants, and pretty much anything. Here comes tough love! :):wub:

I read through the subject on here, and as Kim advises, I am trying to nip it in the bud. I tried baring my teeth at him like momma would do, and he all of a sudden backed down, and all he wanted to do after that was please me, and I praised him, after that. He has a look of forgive me, please?! I redirect, but now he is getting it a bit more. I clap my hands and say NO emphatically, and he backs off whatever piece of furniture or rug he tries to chew...I say TOY, and he is starting to redirect himself to the proper chewing and playthings. Pigs ears work well to keep him busy...doesn't like the Nylabone, so I think I will get him some Greenies (good for keeping teeth clean, too!)

I've tried putting my finger down his throat a bit, and that works, but not as well. It's just persistence. He knows when I turn my back, then he tries it again, but as soon as he knows I'm on it, he backs off and guiltily slinks off to his toys, lol!! Amazing how smart these guys are, and what personalities!

He has met Mr. vacuum cleaner today...jumped back when he heard it go on, then tilted his head, trying to figure it out. Moved to the kitchen to watch it go back and forth over the rug, then wanted to play with it. Glad he has no issues with the noise!

If anyone has any other ideas or tips on teething, please bring it on- I'm always willing to keep trying other things!

• Like 3

I'm sure we have some threads out there but i couldn't locate them on a quick search. Greatest hits from the past: freeze a wet wash cloth, antlers, real bones - like marrow bones or raw chicken wings or turkey necks, kong toy stuffed with cheese, peanut butter on hoof. I'm sure there are more. Denise wasn't there a coconut thing? like a real coconut? or something?

Also there are some good threads on pirahna pups. Try Mr. Chips and squirt bottle or water bottle in the search field. Sounds like your guy is less persistent than some. A good thing. Probably some of the gentler techniques (like a stern NO!) will work. Happy data mining.

• Like 3

When mooka would bite at me I took his paw and pretended to bit him back and used squit bottle of water on him and that was that for him,took about 3 days then I figure he decided this is no fun and stopped bitting and nipping

• Like 2

When mooka would bite at me I took his paw and pretended to bit him back and used squit bottle of water on him and that was that for him,took about 3 days then I figure he decided this is no fun and stopped bitting and nipping

Going shopping today for more toys...Kong is on the list, as it made for endless hours of trying to get to the treats when I had my black lab. I forgot about a squirt bottle, harmless but effective technique for sure....and, actually, I remember my son in his teething stage, kept trying to bite my hand whenever he was in the shopping cart at the supermarket, never interested in his teethers...instinct made me gently lean forward and nip him on his little fist...what a puzzled and surprised look he had, didn't cry (obviously I didn't hurt him), but it was enough that he didn't do it again.

I'm sure we have some threads out there but i couldn't locate them on a quick search. Greatest hits from the past: freeze a wet wash cloth, antlers, real bones - like marrow bones or raw chicken wings or turkey necks, kong toy stuffed with cheese, peanut butter on hoof. I'm sure there are more. Denise wasn't there a coconut thing? like a real coconut? or something? Also there are some good threads on pirahna pups. Try Mr. Chips and squirt bottle or water bottle in the search field. Sounds like your guy is less persistent than some. A good thing. Probably some of the gentler techniques (like a stern NO!) will work. Happy data mining.

He's got his antler, and I tied a natural leather shoelace that I knotted up several times, so he's got two different things to chew on in one- he chews it and then loves to drag it around! He does respond and back off now when I say NO loudly, or clap once or twice. He's tried to get up on a stool, and now I'm training him with the OFF command, and he actually backs down, puts his head between his paws and looks at me guilitly, then puts a paw up on me, sits at my feet, then wants forgiveness, which is when I tell him Wyot is a good boy! I will also buy a small coconut today, and he LOVED his pig ear, but that only lasts one day, now maybe a half a day, lol!

Kaposia loved her coconut during the teething phase. A small, whole, brown "hairy" coconut...doubles as a toy they can roll around and chase on the floor. Only one of the great ideas we picked up here on the forum.

Love the coconut idea, as he loves pouncing on things that roll...I have a football shaped rubber toy, with a light that goes on and strobes- I kick it around while I cook in the kitchen, and it keeps him out of the living room, which is trouble...we have a rug that he loves to try and bite at the fringes of, and then he rolls back the carpet a quarter of the way, and when he gets caught, it's the guilty look, and back to his red stuffed animal squeaky toy. Funny aside, Wyot took his pig's ear and apparently "buried" it under the carpet! I couldn't understand why he was so persistent, until I saw the bulge in the carpet, and lo and behold, there was the rest of the ear. :D So smart and entertaining they are!

He is now going into his crate with barely a yelp or a cry, perhaps a second or two before he settles. An hour later, he whines to want out, and we go, he does his business, and back in the crate he goes. As long as I talk gently to him for a moment, caress his nose, and leave my boots near his crate, he whines for a moment when I walk away, and then he's quiet. I have actually slept through the night, from around 11- 6 without him stirring.

Love the education we get with these wonderful dogs!!!

Thank you for the suggestions, and keep them coming!

• Like 4

Sounds like a really good boy!

Soup bones can be tricky. I liked the beef ones for helping the baby teeth come out but you have to be careful with any weight baring bone of a large beasties. These can crack adult teeth. We stopped giving bones after the teeth came out. Now I will throw them in a crock pot with some water to make a nice broth but they don't get stout bones for chewing any more.

• Like 2

Looking back, teething went by very quickly--One of the advantages of my being "puppy challenged" I guess. The big bone thing hits close to home though. About a month ago I noticed a golf ball sized bump on Ayita's jaw. Come to find out, I am also dog bone challenged. I gave her a too big, too hard bone and she sheared off part of her molar. The bump was the abscess, leading to the lancing, then the extraction and the antibiotics etc. I still feel awful about that even though she recovered quickly and doesn't seem to miss the tooth.

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

Edited by Carolyn
  • Like 3

marrow bones are a great investment because you can restuff them and freeze and use over and over . i mix wet food. cooked rice. pumpkin, kibble , real ground meat, yogurt in any combos refill- put it on a cookie sheet and freeze ! Zuni also likes bison tendons and they used to last a while when he was a pup...no longer but we need them less also knotted rope chews were good. I've heard good things about the benebone but have not tried yet. x pen time out works too. Good luck!!

• Like 2

Thank you so much-many great suggestions! Carolyn, so sorry you went through the tooth abcess with Ayita!

Wyot seems to love a red sqeaky toy the best, and that goes in the car with us when we go places. Bought a bully horn, and he tears around with that...forgot the coconut..another day perhaps, and the rope sounds good. Like the stuffing ideas for the bone- I can fill the kong with those. I DO need to get the squirt bottle, and try that. He went nuts because I couldn't go with him on his regular walk, where he gets a lot of energy out. Talk about a tasmanian devil, lol!!! My fault, totally. :huh: Won't miss that walk again...

• Like 2
Sounds like a really good boy! Soup bones can be tricky. I liked the beef ones for helping the baby teeth come out but you have to be careful with any weight baring bone of a large beasties. These can crack adult teeth. We stopped giving bones after the teeth came out. Now I will throw them in a crock pot with some water to make a nice broth but they don't get stout bones for chewing any more.

RE: Note on coconuts, make sure for adult teeth that the coconuts have full husks, like they fell off the tree - not just the hard brown shell. The hard brown shell can break adult teeth as their bite gets stronger.

Also, it is the coconut husks that make it really fun for the puppy/dog to shred and two dogs will even make it a tug toy!

I used bully sticks for initial teething (makes nasty puppy farts though), Please make sure pig ears didn't come from China. Have been reading up and there has been kidney problems reported with dogs (NOT AI Dogs) from pig ears and stuff sourced from China.

(Well, there's been lead in people toothpaste from China in the past, so what why would there be quality control for animal products!)

Himalayan milk bones were popular too! They lasted well when during milk teeth teething but gotten eaten pretty quick with second teething.

Can't believe Wyot is burying things already, that's soooo cute!

Tayamni tries in the house but I make her bury things outside. Then I still find something in my bed covers every now and then!

Good luck!

• Like 2
Thank you so much-many great suggestions! Carolyn, so sorry you went through the tooth abcess with Ayita! Wyot seems to love a red sqeaky toy the best, and that goes in the car with us when we go places. Bought a bully horn, and he tears around with that...forgot the coconut..another day perhaps, and the rope sounds good. Like the stuffing ideas for the bone- I can fill the kong with those. I DO need to get the squirt bottle, and try that. He went nuts because I couldn't go with him on his regular walk, where he gets a lot of energy out. Talk about a tasmanian devil, lol!!! My fault, totally. :huh: Won't miss that walk again...

Ditto Carolyn, sorry about Ayita. Glad she is healing! ^_^

Ha ha Tasmanian Devils!

Oh, I still remember that! I had one, too. She now gets so many compliments on how calm she is. In fact she sleeps in until I make her breakfast. Hard to believe. What a difference puppy to adult makes!

• Like 2