Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

There are a ton of food threads on this board - we really should gather them up and give them their own little home. All of this has been covered in one place or another already.

I can't believe a web site is telling you not to give your dog egg, meat, or bone. What do they think dogs lived on for tens of thousands of years before food came in the magic bag? The meat and bones are the last thing the dogs go for after the organs are gone, but still, they do eat them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts too. Dog food started in the 50s.

There is parrot kibble, too. I often hear that I am not supposed to feed my Parrot fruits and vegetables.

I just read that Innova was bought out by Proctor and Gamble and this disheartens me completely as they are well known for their cruelty to animals. It p**ses me off when something like this happens. It won't be long before (although they claim they won't)they start using inferior products in the Natura/Innova products. I'm going to buy Soul a BIG bag today and it looks like I'll be driving the 49 miles to get Candidae soon! ARGH

There is parrot kibble, too. I often hear that I am not supposed to feed my Parrot fruits and vegetables.

ROFLMAO

*gasping for breath*

How DID animals survive without humans to take care of them and Feed them??

More ROFL

Bless you Allison- you Made My Day!

Not sure why this struck me as SO funny, but Thank you!

I'm going to buy Soul a BIG bag today and it looks like I'll be driving the 49 miles to get Candidae soon! ARGH

Debi, won't it be better to have it delivered? Maybe a little more expensive, but not when you consider the time and environmental impact. The UPS truck is coming by your house anyway. B)

I've heard the same with the parrot food. My African Grey gets a little Harrison's kibble and Missing Link to cover the bases, like a multivitamin, but his main staple is fresh "real" food daily. On the back of the kibble, and the website, it says not to supplement with other food. It's ridiculous.

For years I worked for a veterinary surgeon, and in the course of visiting clinics throughout western Washington I got to know a lot of veterinarians and hear their take on nutrition. There were two general attitudes regarding feeding. The first is that processed food is best, and this comes about because vets don't learn much about nutrition in vet school but hear about it from pet food representatives. It's just like physicians and drug manufacturers....physicians don't do the research into the drugs, they hear what the drug reps have to say, which is incredibly biased of course. The second is that whole food is best but people can't be responsible to feed animals everything they need so it's better to recommend they pour X into a bowl twice a day. I only met two veterinarians who recommended raw food, and both practiced holistic medicine. Fortunately, as natural and raw food is becoming more popular, vets are changing their tune. But as a consumer, if you want to really know what's best for your pet you have to do much of your own research.

Was telling a friend about our discussion of kibble/raw/appropriate foods.

She laughed and said (with Huge dose of sarcasm in her voice)

"Oh, no, I don't feed my children anything but kibble. That way I know they are getting all the nutrition they need, and it is easy for me- and Far superior to that Meat and Produce stuff you buy in the grocery store. My son likes his crunchy, but Michaela won't eat hers unless I pour some warm water over it."

(yes she feeds her dog 'real food' as well, not kibble)

Haha.. Very good, and so to the point. I was raised on "Space Food Sticks" , and chocolate "Instant Breakfast " drink. Not too much different, except less fiber.

Stacia, another bird in the community! Very fun for us. Harrison's, that's the one the vets around here are pushing. And it's okay, but not very fun, and as all parrot owners know, the more fun the food, the more engaged is the bird.

Corn on the cob, now that is a very funny vegetable. Ask any parrot.

One of the things about parrots is that they love, and I mean it is important to them on a very basic level, to share food. I can give her apple, but to give her some bites of my apple, is even better. She will laugh and giggle while we eat together. It seems she relishes every bite.

Perhaps it is less important to the dogs, but I do see that sharing some of what we are having makes them extremely happy, and has a binding effect on the pack.

With all my animal friends, if they are eating badly, then so am I. They keep me on the better path.

Debi, won't it be better to have it delivered? Maybe a little more expensive, but not when you consider the time and environmental impact. The UPS truck is coming by your house anyway. :P

Bwahahaha, yes the UPS man is a regular at our house and Soul is his best friend (he brings him treats all the time...he's addicted, wouldn't be surprised if he gets one of his own...)! I went to our local feed store to pick up the last large bag of "real" Innova and he informed me he is not going to carry it once P & G takes over the packaging. He wrote a very nasty letter to P & G and was as disappointed as I was. He replaced Innova with....Candiae!!! YES! And he gave me 5 lbs of free samples of the GF and regular mixed so I could wean Soul into it.

Funniest thing...mixed 1/4 of the Candiae with Soul's food yesterday. He stopped, sniffed, took a mouthful and ran to living room. He ate all the Innova and left the Candaie! Did this three times. I left the Can. lying on the floor. About an hour later, he went and scarfed it up!! I swear, that dog is more human than I am!

Edited by Debi
I swear, that dog is more human than I am!

Hahahaha..

He ate all the Innova and left the Candaie! Did this three times. I left the Can. lying on the floor. About an hour later, he went and scarfed it up!!

Wow, I've never had a fussy dog. That's impressive.

:P:):o:) mine haven't been fussy either :lol: unless one pees :lol: in the other bowl :lol: :lol:

ROFL!!!

Well, it's good to know they have SOME standards.. :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :P

I just read that Innova was bought out by Proctor and Gamble and this disheartens me completely as they are well known for their cruelty to animals. It p**ses me off when something like this happens. It won't be long before (although they claim they won't)they start using inferior products in the Natura/Innova products. I'm going to buy Soul a BIG bag today and it looks like I'll be driving the 49 miles to get Candidae soon! ARGH

I am an Innova user and share your sentiments re P&G. I was recently introduced to Acana dog food made by Champion Petfoods in Alberta, Canada. No grain and everything is fished or grown in their region and delivered to the factory fresh each day and Canada's pet food industry is more closely regulated than those in the U.S. Check out their website where you can find stores that carry Acana. Sorry if I sound like a commercial. I'm just very impressed with their pet food.

This is a pet food that I have recently been introduced to. Thanks Jeep, for bringing it to our attention:

Champion Foods

Where do y'all get your bullies and antlers and such?

Any favorite brands? Online stores?

Just planning ahead :lol: --Kidlet (puppy) will need chewies, and Mina loves them too of course (tho some of her 'chew' is satisfied at breakfast on her chickenbones)

Thanks everyone!

OOO maybe one of you moderators can start a Food/Treats Source thread?

Edited by Starghoti
Where do y'all get your bullies and antlers and such?

Any favorite brands? Online stores?

Just planning ahead B) --Kidlet (puppy) will need chewies, and Mina loves them too of course (tho some of her 'chew' is satisfied at breakfast on her chickenbones)

Thanks everyone!

OOO maybe one of you moderators can start a Food/Treats Source thread?

Here is the website which we get Soul's chews from. Amazon has them at competitive prices. http://www.freerangedogchews.com/

• 3 months later...

I had a St. Bernard that got Addisons Disease. I started doing research on it and found that food is a factor in it. When I was readind about it, I came across the same info that they were putting euthanized animals in dog food and that would cause medical issues to flair up. Well I didn't know what else to do from then on because he had to be on certain ingredients by then so I had to read labels and be picky. I had done so much reading and research and was about to give up hope until I found Halo Spots Stew. It was everything that he needed and up to my standards too. He ended up living for three more years after his diagnosis at the ripe old age of 11 (which is old for that breed). So, this would be the food of my choice.

Hummm....every dog is different. I've tried Danza on two different Canidae blends, and neither of them sat well with her. We're trying to find a lower protein food to help with her urinary system, and it would have fit the bill if it hadn't gone right through her. So, continuing with food trials. :(

Yeah- even the Canidae Grain Free didn't work for my kids. I am sticking with the 'Limited Ingredient' formulas from now on. Saves on Yard Debris, if you know what I mean.. :(

My guys really like and their bodies process well- Natural Balance, Potato and Duck formula.

link to manufacturer

between that for dinner and raw breakfast, they both seem to be thriving.

(vet did full blood panel before Jas's elective surgery, and it came back fantabulous!)

Just my 2¢

• 1 year later...

Aha! I knew fantabulous was a word. Waki loves dairy. He likes goat yogurt, kefir, goat milk, and any kind of cheese. He also will eat blue berries - it's really cute to watch. Freeze dried liver is also a great training treat. I like it better than hot dogs because I don't end up with hot dog fingers for the whole walk.