Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Starghoti Gets A Chicken Coop

Holding up fine...

Another day another pile of new stuff learned!

Again had a blast, still loving it.

Also- we got our coop and chicks today! Whee

Garage peepers... lol

Ameraucana 4 hens 1 roostlet. (tho he might be christmas dinner if he can't keep his mouth shut. lol)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How fun! Soon you'll be the forum expert on our dogs and chickens. Gotta teach them they are part of the pack.

I just love the way you just move "forward." I want chickens, but I'm not ready as far as their safety....What have you done? 4 hens and a rooster. What kind of coop do you have? Perfect! Tell me your steps.

LOLOL

MizM- I didnt' just "move forward" we have been considering having a 'meat-garden' for years. We contemplated rabbits, for manure, meat, their quietness, and reproductive productivity- but I feared that I would find them too cute to be tasty.. lol

So we went with chickens, for their eggs, social nature, manure (tho it needs composting, and we have that covered with a tumbler), and ease of care. And *sorry Allison* their eventual retirement from egg laying to roaster pan. Tho hopefully they can raise their own replacement generations. :lol:

We live in a neighborhood that is 'up to 5 chickens' friendly and our local feed-farm store knows us really well, so they gave us a great deal on the coop.

The coop + 5 chicks + feed + all the little accessories = less $ than the advertised coop price! yay.

And the coop is modifiable and upgradeable as we go.

It will work for them while they are little pullets and it will give us time to add on a larger 'yard'

I am jokingly thinking of them as Greensleeves. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. And the Cock can be Henry. LOL

(thank you SCA for folkmusic humor...)

Anyway, here's a few pics of the babes- sorry for the condition of the background, but they are poultry, and they do what poultry do... lol

They are Ameraucana So there is a lot of variety in their coloring and patterning. It will be kind of like christmas to see what they turn out like. I chose them as a mixed bag.

100_1293.jpg

The little grey guy in this pic- on the far left is the cockrel

100_1294.jpg

100_1295.jpg

And our little Coop is currently about 4x5 and about 5' high.

100_1296.jpg

100_1297.jpg

It has an exterior door to the 'yard' that we can add on to. And has handles so we can move it around :lol:

You're chicken coop looks really cool...easy to move and clean. I saw one similar to it at "my" feed store just up the road. (that's my favorite store hang out place of all time). AND I thought about it. However, I am a bit worried about attracting the attention of coyotes and other critters that would destroy the flock, let alone bring an element of danger to the dogs. In the mean time.......and in past time.........My grand father built a "chicken house" back in the 20's down by the veggie garden. (It would be perfect after it is secured). They used to have lots of chickens there when I was really little......that was a loooooooong time ago, when the population was 105, and surrounding towns were equally as small, thus not crowding out the wild life as much. Some how over the course of the years the chickens went away, and the chicken house turned into a tool / storage ...... funky old shed. I decided to turn it back into what it originally was.....a chicken house. I have been cleaning it out, taking what feels like 60 years of old paint cans, ladders, tools, automotive paraphernalia, and other crapola out of there, (well that needed to be done) to make room for these little peepers. (I'm finding some neat stuff too). I still have to decide if this is going to bring/attract an unsafe element, visiting more than usual, to the property. My guess is that it will. Sooooo, I am still on the fence as far as the chicks go...Hey I could get a chicken watch dog. Another great excuse to get another AID, but uh oh, the pup would end up sleeping on my bed, not with the chicks.

OOOps, gotta run. We are under flash flood warnings and the river is raging, and I mean raging....lights are flickering, and the wind is high. Just a little excitement here in my little valley. Have a great day, I'll get back when I can. Have to do a bit of "water watch." :lol:

I understand your trepidation-

You could get a handfull of Guineas too- they would put up a hell of a ruckus if something predatory came around. They are good watchbirds and they eat bugs and ticks and such, without scratching the heck out of your yard/garden. And they can fly over a tall fence, if you put a perch near the top. Look them up if you are unfamiliar. They are pretty kewl. If we were rural I would be ALL OVER guineas, but they are too loud for our neighborhood. lol

Star, that is so cool. I love it! You probably don't want to repost everything. Can I move this thread out to the squirrel room, and let the others see. I know they would all love it, as I do. Those little chicks.... We'll see if they end up in the roaster.

Star, that is so cool. I love it! You probably don't want to repost everything. Can I move this thread out to the squirrel room, and let the others see. I know they would all love it, as I do. Those little chicks.... We'll see if they end up in the roaster.

No problem. I leave it to you FearlessLeader! :lol:

How's Jasper doing with the chicks? I love them, already.

Odd- they work fine for me..

Dunno Judy.

Me too. Anyone else having trouble?

Me too. Anyone else having trouble?

no problem here with the photos......I'm envious that you have your chicks this early in the year......I guess I have to get to work and catch up. :lol:

I'm envious that you have your chicks this early in the year......I guess I have to get to work and catch up. :lol:

LOL- Oh MizM, don't feel that way- It's just because you are further south, it's the Time Zone difference. :lol:

Okay Judy. Let me look into it.

Update-

Chicklets are doing fine. Moved them to a larger (read more comfortable for them, harder for me to clean..lol) cage.

Really looking forward to not having to monitor them so closely.

Also looking forward to them having feathers and getting to move outside. Dang that cage takes up a lot of space in our garage. :lol: But they are worth it.

Soon another picture (hopefully visible to you all) once they get a little older.

Judy, try to open these pictures, now, and let me know how it goes.

Update-

Chicklets are doing fine. Moved them to a larger (read more comfortable for them, harder for me to clean..lol) cage.

Really looking forward to not having to monitor them so closely.

Also looking forward to them having feathers and getting to move outside. Dang that cage takes up a lot of space in our garage. :lol: But they are worth it.

Soon another picture (hopefully visible to you all) once they get a little older.

Thank you, Ms. Allison!!! I can see the chicks and the coop! WOW! I have never seen such an upscale coop - really makes me want to have chicks. We get our eggs fresh from the farm around the corner but it would be even handier if they were right here at home. Fresh eggs make such a difference in cooking and baking. The taste is great!!!

Yes. We get eggs as fresh as possible, from our butcher, and even though they are not truly fresh, there is a noticeable difference from the eggs at the grocery store.

I envy you both.

Sometimes we get double yolks. It seems like such a prize!

Allison- We will save up some right before the Gathering, and Make Breakfast!! woooooo!

We have "Easter Eggers" so the shells are pretty too! No two the same.

I knew someone who had those, when I was growing up. They are beautiful.

Have you introduced Jasper yet? What's he think?

Puckmonkey, what kind of hens are yours? Love that pic with them bunched on the ramp.

Birds are so fun.