Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Interesting Tick/flea Remedy

So excited to try a tick/flea remedy I stumbled across while shopping online for matching mom & baby amber necklaces for our daughter in law and new granddaughter! I've purchaced amber teething necklaces for each of our grandchildren. They are supposed to soothe the baby during teething ( not via chewing! ) just via contact with the skin. As the amber warms against the skin, it gives off succinic (sp?) acid which has a mild analgesic effect. Amber is fossilized pine resin found all over the world, but is most commonly known from the baltic area of Europe. There are fakes out there, and the way to tell if your amber is genuine is to heat a pin and press it gently into the amber in an inconspicupus spot. It will smoke briefly and give off a really wonderful pine smell. (Don't try this on very expensive pieces of amber, as they may crack.) Well! It turns out amber supposedly is also repellent to fleas and ticks! If interested do a search. Lots of sites carry them. I ordered from ambertick.com (not an endorsement, haven't received or tried it yet.) If it works, what a great alternative to neurotoxic stuff!

• Like 3

1st... CONGRATULATIONS on your precious baby granddaughter!!!! How sweet!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I didn't check out the website yet (I only JUST read this), but already I'm wondering if it's anything at all like those "flea and tick" collars that we used to use on my cat and dog when I was growing up. I don't know if they worked or not... I think they were made by Hartz, if I remember correctly. ... Just my random memory. Time to check out the net! (My boss will be SO happy... not...)...

You HAVE to post a picture of your puppy with your granddaughter!!!!

• Like 1

^I just looked up the collar/website. So not like what we used to use (thankfully). I might actually give this a shot. Even if it doesn't work, I still like the smell of pine, and the collar is gorgeous! :-D :D

• Like 1

Thank you for the congrats, Nytebiker. Our little girl is quite the little honey! (Of course I'm a bit biased!) As to the amber collars, from what I read they become fully effective after being worn for a few weeks, they will not clear an established infestation, they are preventive. I guess the most convincing testimonial was from a gentleman who had been on some kind of mission to China in an area heavily infested with fleas. They were advised to wear raw amber bracelets on their wrists and ankles, and also a raw amber necklace, which he did. He had no flea problems, but those who didn't heed the advice were very miserable. Anyway, I've ordered two collars for Kaposia, one with a buckle and one with a clip to see which fits and is comfortable for her....we'll see...

• Like 3

LakeGirl, (or anyone)

Have these amber necklaces been working? I'd love to know, I'm interested in ordering if they work. I like that it's real amber.

Hmmm, I wonder if amber will work for me against chiggers! Ohhhh the chiggers really get me when camping ,,,,,

My dogs play rough around the neck and collar. I would like to know how the collar last. If they seem to be strong enough not to break apart.

Seems well made, but don't know if it would stand up to rough play...Kaposia's an only child.

Mine two are always rough housing and grabbing each other's necks.\

Glad you got the collar! Let us know how it works and if your dog plays with others.

Is it on one long string or amber attached to a strap collar?

The collars are amber discs strung on nylon cord and hand knotted between each bead so if it breaks there won't be beads flying all over the place. They come either with a clip or buckle closure. I ordered one of each because the clip one is not adjustable...the length they state is exactly the length you get and you have to measure carefully. The buckle one has more leeway for adjustment. There is a short piece of leather connector between the amber beads and the clip or buckle. It turned out the clip collar at 35 cm. (14 inches) fit perfectly...Kaposia weighs 30.6 pounds. So far it's been 3 days and she's worn the collar 24/7, so far no chipped beads even with the clanking tags. I'm still looking into purchasing a collar with a riveted on information plate...less to catch on things anyway. (She once caught her tags on the dishwasher posts of the lower dish rack, panicked, and pulled the whole tray out across the kitchen floor.) Apparently they've used these in Europe for years...mine came from Lithuania. The jury is still out on effectiveness and I guess I'm kind of going out on a limb with this, but Kaposia sleeps with us, so she gets a good once over bug check every night. I know tick bourne disease is no joke, but the neurotoxic chemical treatments creep me out just about as much.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Denise, as to playing with other dogs, Kaposia is still a bit skittish. We had one play date with another AI dog that went very well, but there was no rough play, they seemed happy to just run together and chase after balls and frisbees for two plus hours.

• Like 1

I am also very curious if this works -I don't like those chemicals but fleas even less..

• 2 years later...

LakeGirl,

How did this Ambertick collar work out?

Senior moments.... :o I just thought about this now.

• Like 1

Didn't work well at all. Fleas actually seemed to congregate around Kaposia's neck. Back to the Nexgard. The amber collars look kind of boho neat, are durable, and Kaposia seems to like her "necklace" so she still wears it sometimes, but tick and flea protection, no.

• Like 2

Oh Dognamit! That's too bad.

Sorry to hear. Sounded like it could be a good thing.

We don't get a lot of ticks in the tropics. More fleas, sand fleas and no see-ums, along with the mosquitoes.

I'll let you know if I ever try it.

• Like 1