Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody up for a game of Whack-A-Mole?

Hi everyone! It's been an absolutely amazing first week with our little fuzz-ball! He is very easy to train and is probably the most hyper and feistiest puppy I have ever seen! When he plays fetch in

A friend of mine is learning how to use photo editing software; and he made this for me. I am going to have this printed onto a shirt! I love it! Nakoma truly is a colorful soul! And this creation

Posted Images

Hi NRRosque!

Two weeks ago we went to the vet for his dewormer, and he weighed in at 14 lbs. And just yesterday he went back for the distemper, and he weighed in at 18!!!! I was actually alarmed but the vet said he's good... doesn't have the sausage shaped body and can feel his ribs and not to worry.

I am curious now too to see how the other sibs are doing. Seems like we have opposite ends of the spectrum here. How tall is Zephyr? Komi comes to where my shins meet my kneecaps (I don't know how tall that is... I an only 4'11" myself... but that seems tall to me).

Maybe we should post in the Raven x Choco topic instead and get responses there?

Puppies are like human babies... everyone grows and develops at different rates. My siblings and cousins all tower over me... I guess that happens in animal families too. Lol.

• Like 1

Yea, we could definitely post a RavenxChoco topic, that way we can all keep in touch :)

Wow, Komi is growing! That's great though, Zephyr is still such a petite little thing lol, he goes back to the Vet on the 20th for his last round of puppy shots, so I will get to weigh him in again there -- but I don't think he has put on much weight. He is very lean, everyone comments on how he has the body of a big dog, but he is miniature haha.

I would guess he is about the same height, his little legs are SO long!

• Like 1

Aren't these last days before their final round of shots so agonizing? Lol. I can't WAIT to take him everywhere!!! It's killing me! ...Just two more weeks... just two more weeks... (one for you.. LUCKY... lol).

Zephyr just looks so handsome! But it's funny... I was looking at pictures you put up of Zephyr, and my daughter saw them and thought they were of Komi, but was confused because, aside from the beach, did not recognize any of the backgrounds and wondered where and when they were taken. (She's 7). It was cute. But I understand. They look just so much alike (except for the eyes). ^_^

I am excited for your next appointment to see how much Zephyr has grown. I know that they all grow at different rates. I swear when I come home on lunchbreaks to see Komi, he looks bigger than when I left in the morning. Lol. I'm sure that Zephyr will surprise you!! Oooh, I can't wait!!! :D

I wish the siblings could all get together soon. Possibly at one of the future gatherings, if I ever make it over there. I wonder though... would the siblings remember each other when that happens? Hmmmm....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy Moly, I am EXHAUSTED! But all in a fantastic and awesome way! My little “Wiley Coyote” here has been so great! He is learning so many commands already, and I can’t wait to teach him more. He’s so full of energy which makes playing with him fun (and funny)! He has the most hilarious little antics (like, talking back to me when I give him a stern “no!,” or throwing his paw at me as if he’s slapping me [without actually hitting me], or his super sonic sprints around the apartment, or his decision to change the game of fetch into “catch me if you can to get my toy” as he runs and hides behind the couch).

It’s hard to believe that tomorrow he will only be 14 weeks old. It’s hard to believe that he’s only been with us for a month and a half.

He’s getting better with the biting. He’s not attacking my daughter’s toes (as much) and so she is starting to get more confident around him, which is HUGE! Last night, they were actually playing fetch together (this is the first time), and I was so thrilled! Komi was definitely smiling when he and her were playing. Their bond is finally being built! Now it just needs some strengthening, which, after last night, doesn’t seem like it will take long. Woo Hoo!

One thing I find very interesting (out of a myriad of interesting things) is that he is sooooo friendly with people, and then there are those he tends to not like. And with good reason, as they are the same people I avoid (just up the block from me, and I’m talking about only a few hundred feet here, there are not-so-nice people and there have been shootings [two just last week] and drug deals and burglaries). I just wonder how my little Ranger here knows to keep a weary eye on them, yet invite others to pet him and fuss over him. He’s only a baby, and already has this keen sense. Even if he’s still a little “pup-squeak,” I feel a little safer having him with us.

Later today, he is scheduled to get his last set of shots. I know there’s a waiting period of several days, but once those days are up, I am psyched to take Komi and my daughter to the dog run and to the state parks. If only there was a way I can sneak him onto the beach to teach him to swim without getting caught (no dogs allowed here…but I’ll be teaching my daughter that some rules are meant to be broken, and then punish her for breaking my rules, lol). And most importantly, I totally cannot wait to train him to be my running partner. I know I need to start at short distances with him and blah blah blah but seeing that my long runs won’t be lonely anymore (in about a year) is psyching me out!

In the beginning of the month, he was 18 pounds. I am looking forward to seeing how much he has grown already!

Oh, and I’ve been trying SO hard to get the correct pictures for his registration. Bottom line: Getting a good, let alone three, picture of him is like trying to get a picture of lightening!!!! I might be able to use one of the ones below…. I will see what it looks like when printed. How did you guys manage to get the registration pictures taken? Holy Cow!

I Fetched.png

I'm Staying - I'm Staying - I'm Staying -.png

Komi Ears.png

Possible Registration Picture.png

Throw The Ball Already.png

• Like 3

Oh, and I’ve been trying SO hard to get the correct pictures for his registration. Bottom line: Getting a good, let alone three, picture of him is like trying to get a picture of lightening!!!! I might be able to use one of the ones below…. I will see what it looks like when printed. How did you guys manage to get the registration pictures taken? Holy Cow!

Have you looked at the registration instructions and example of the registration pictures pinned at the top of the "New Pups" section? It will be a challenge for most, especially while they are young pups. Just remember that you have time to send in the registration. The cost of registering your dog was included in the cost of your pup, provided the pup is registered prior to six months of age.

As your pup gets older, it will get easier. Just remember to keep your camera handy and you will eventually get the "good registration photo". I found a good time for registration photos is while we were going through training time. Your pup will be a little more focused when he is in the zone and paying attention to you, maybe with another person using the camera. Digital cameras allow for thousands of photos until you find the appropriate picture to print.

Don't rush it, you have time.

PS - He is a handsome pup.

• Like 1

Thank you, Greg!!! Yes, I read the instructions. The six month deadline is just two and a half months away! Lol! I have to remember to carry my phone with me more often so that I can get a shot. I like your suggestion about trying to get a shot while in a training session. I will try that! :-)

Oh... And he gained 7 pounds this month! I can't believe it! My fuzball, who is 14 weeks tomorrow, is 25.2 lbs! Aye Caramba! How big are his parents?!?! (I'm NOT complaining... Just baffled), Lol!

• Like 1
Lol. I tried to post to edit to fix the spacing... And it ended up posting again... And I don't know how to delete it! Aye Caramba!!

I don't know if you have the option from the phone, but -

I click "more reply options" in Internet Explorer and that allows me to have separate paragraphs.

If I leave it on regular editor even when I put hard returns I get one LONG paragraph.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

If he has a favorite food, wait until he's really hungry and get a helper. Have the helper stand out of your frame (or use crop to edit the photo later). The helper will have a closed fist with this delicious food inside and the pup should be laser locked on where that closed fist is. If he knows sit, put him in sit and you should be able to get your head shot. You dan also have your helper hold him in a pose. Good luck! Some of my best pictures have come by way of liver treats :).

• Like 1

Oh forgot to add ....

Your pup is sooooo cute and LOVE reading the stories!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of my first months and the wonder of Tayamni.

Please keep posting your narratives and pics!!!! :)

• Like 2

With those tipi ears, a pointy nose and a graceful stature.... LOL... and they still think ...LOL....chocolate lab? ...LOL....that's really hilarious. :lol:

• Like 2

Lol! Yes! I live in snobville where if you don't have a rescue dog or an adopted dog, then you're worthless and a puppymill supporter. (nevermind the fact the each and every animal I've ever owned and loved has been adopted and/or rescued). Oh... And if it's brown, it's a chocolate lab. ... and Heaven forbid you should try to get a word in about anything... LOL. One guy asked me yesterday what kind of a dog he is (at least he didn't say he was a chocolate lab), but I just said he was a coyote and kept on walking because I didn't feel like trying to explain anything anymore. LOL

• Like 3

Seriously? How bout a sideways head tilt along with - you might need to go see the optometrist - or have you never seen a lab? C'mob Night B you should be able to out snob them all. You have a RARE breed- one breeder on planet earth - a historical genetic conservation dog with pre-Columbian DNA - bread by a Native American (although I believe Kim has said he's old enough to prefer American Indian - which probably also makes him an ELDER). Gotta get your elevator speech down. Or just thrust a business card at em - along with a "Poor dear" look.

Oh Oh how about a Dog Trans Coyote? Sorry couldn't help myself.

• Like 3

Night B......Makes me wonder what kind of Lab breeders you have in your neck of the woods....... :ph34r:

Sherab......I really like how you wrote the short version of what an American Indian dog is....perfect. May I use this?

• Like 2

Sure. Which one? Thank you for being sensitive to my Coyote trans Dog? He really is a lab born in an unfortunate body? or the other one?

• Like 2

Lol! You guys are cracking me up! I got another "chocolate lab" question today... Maybe because we were swimming in the bay? Brown dog in the water MUST be a lab!! And then after I told him what he is, the guy asked, "are you sure? He looks so much like a lab." So I just calmly said that if he looks closely, he'll see many differences. Ha... "Am I sure?" People are funny.

• Like 1

Sherab that's great.

you could always show them this picture too...

lab.jpg

Or this one....(this is my Ida Linda from many a moon ago...good old OLP©)

phenom.jpg

• Like 2