Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody up for a game of Whack-A-Mole?

Hi everyone! It's been an absolutely amazing first week with our little fuzz-ball! He is very easy to train and is probably the most hyper and feistiest puppy I have ever seen! When he plays fetch in

A friend of mine is learning how to use photo editing software; and he made this for me. I am going to have this printed onto a shirt! I love it! Nakoma truly is a colorful soul! And this creation

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

3 Rare Breeds.JPG

An American Indian Dog, A North American Dingo, and a Jerusalem (Canaan) Dog walk onto the beach....

How incredible is it to have these three "primitive" pups in the same place?

• Like 3

He's gorgeous! Kiss that nose! My Noquisi sings to commercials. He sings softly to soft jingles and loudly to more rambunctious jingles. He knows the word "sing," now and will sing when asked. I sing with him at times so he feels he has a pack to sing with. He's a hoot. If it doesn't bother you, I would encourage him to sing. It's in their blood to sing.

• Like 2

Thank you! Yes, vlkea, I love hearing him sing. He sings (and barks, lol) when I play my flute. He used to howl when my daughter played the piano, but no more. He lays there and listens. And hearing him just be very vocal... all of his expressions... I just love it. He greets people (though those who don't know him think he's barking), and we know what he's saying by his whole range of sounds, from chirps, yips, high barks, low barks, almost howls, howls (and the occasional growl when something isn't right).

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

On site job...... Tolinka has brought two children out of the river. One was 4 years old and the other was 1 1/2 years old. Whew! That was close.

GREAT photo.

• Like 3

My sister's dog Coffey stood between our bedrooms and high pitch alerted until we all woke up. I tried to get him to go outside but he kept running back down the hall.

It turned out that a part on Kelli's bipap machine had come unhooked.

He was alerting her.

That's the best saving story we have so far. LOL!

• Like 3

Waki has been afraid to poop in the woods and has been a bit barky - turns out there's a bear in the neighborhood. Dose that count?

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

HI Everyone! Hoping all are well. I know it's been over a year since last posting. It's been one heck of a year, as I'm sure everyone can attest to!

I have a question... My Nakoma is only 5 years old (can't believe he's 5 already, wow, but 5 is still so young). He has been my running buddy since day 1, lol. It was around 18 months that I started adding distance to his runs. And we've been fine... we run 5 to 7 days a week and all different distances (most being 18 miles, but we haven't done that distance since I was pregnant for my now 22 month-old) and he is just always so super duper fast! Faster in the winter than the summers (me too), but always just so full of energy and agility and if he was a comic, he'd be a superhero for sure. But all of a sudden, he just doesn't want to run that much anymore for about the past three weeks. He stays behind me where I have to tug on the leash and almost "gives me attitude" when trying to get him to stay with me (and I am NOT fast by any means, trust me). I've cut my runs short by a lot for him. He doesn't seem to be in pain. He was at the vet at the beginning of the month for a checkup and such, and there was nothing concerning to the vet. And when home, he still does his crazy silly and funny little antics with his toys and playfulness. Is it normal for a dog to just say "hey, don't like running anymore?" One of the main reasons for me getting Nakoma instead of "some other dog" was for the breed's endurance and love of running so that he could be my running partner. (That didn't come out right, not getting rid of him, just heartbroken). Nothing has happened that would have traumatized him (though I have noticed that he seems to be a bit of a "bully" towards other dogs that we pass on our runs, which is pretty weird for my once super-submissive pup) - he barks and pulls to them, but only when we're running, not walking, and stops with a quick correction. His paws are fine. I give him waterbreaks on the hot mornings or longer runs. And with the way he plays and jumps at home doesn't indicate any kind of injury.

Has any one here experienced where their AI just quit doing something they once loved? 5 is way tooooo young to be quitting, I think. I plan on running him for at least another ten years or so. He's my pupadoo, and I just want him to be puapadoo-ish again.

Hey NyteBiker and Komi! Your post resonates. Komi's litter mate, our Kaposia, is slowing down a bit too. We also just had a vet visit and everything is A-OK! she is still bright eyed, loving, plays ball and frisbee, goes on walks. We're senior citizens, so her walks are and have always been WALKS, but she doesn't zoom around the back yard as often as she used to as a pup, and has just generally mellowed out a lot in the last year. As a (now senior) human, I remember when middle age hit. The energy begins to flag. Much as we would like our most beloved fur babies to stay young forever, remember their life span is about 12-15 years....anything more is a bonus. When I was a young early 30's something human, I remember our Golden Retriever slowing down too. The long, long walks got shorter, and then the day came when we got to the corner and she sat down and looked at me as if to say, "This is it Mom, I'm an old lady, let's go home." She was with us a little over 12 years. Treasure every day.

If you had a mild injury how long would you lay off running? Give Nakoma a break for about that long and see if it makes a difference. Do you massage your dog? If you do you will become familiar with what muscles are tight and if there is any tenderness in a paw or a leg. Look closely at the feet / pads for a split nail or sliver. If you do find a soft tissue injury or even a joint issue laser therapy can work wonders.

They can slow up at 5 but I would have picked 8 ish as more of an inflection point. Especially since your dog looks plenty lean.

RE: trauma - it could have happened w/o you noticing - for example a dump truck on the road too close by emptying a dumpster. You may not even have noticed. Try running some place completely new and preferably very quiet.

Are you running on pavement? Gravel? Has that surface been hot? See if a softer surface or cooler surface makes a difference and always touch pavement or sand with your bare hand to see if your dog can stand it. If a dog burns a paw on pavement it can be quite tender w/o it being particularly noticeable to the human eye. It might just look like your dog's normal paw color is lighter.

Good luck

Edited by Sherab