Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Dog Electrocuted On Seattle Sidewalk

Dog electrocuted from Seattle sidewalk power plate

Lisa McKibbin had never heard of the term "contact voltage" until her German shorthair pointer was electrocuted Thanksgiving.

By Erik Lacitis

Seattle Times staff report

Lisa McKibbin had never heard of the term "contact voltage" until her German shorthair pointer was electrocuted Thanksgiving when he stepped on a metal plate by a lamppost.

"He was totally healthy, at the height of his career. It's a bizarre death. It was noon on Thanksgiving, and me and my dog were doing our daily walk," she says about Sammy, the 6-year-old, 68-pound dog.

"Then he just started screeching and yelping in pain. I thought he had stepped on something sharp. Then he just started convulsing and collapsed.

"I reached out to help him, and he was in so much pain that he bit my thumb. I was screaming, 'Somebody help me! Oh, my God, I don't know what's happening with my dog!' "

A man performed CPR on the dog's chest, says McKibbin, and someone else opened Sammy's mouth to try and help.

There was enough electricity still in Sammy that the person got a shock from inside the dog's mouth.

The same thing happened to McKibbin.

"It was a good shock, like when you plug something into the wall and you get jolted," she says.

More Here

Oh my Gosh!

That would be horrifying!

The poor woman, the poor Dog!

AIDogs tells me that Seattle streets ar notorious for not grounding correctly, lamp lights and such.

This will change our walking habits. I will definitely keep the dogs off the metal bits. Can you imagine?

My friend, who alerted me to the story, wrote:

I'm not particularly amused by the reporter's archly smug tone, nor the fact that they chose to feature the amount of the total damage claim ($60,000) and bury the fact that the city has an opportunity to reduce their liability by taking steps to protect other pets from electrocution.

Frankly, even 60K seems like a pretty moderate compensation request for losing a family member.

Further on in the article:

Asked how such contact voltage would affect a human toddler who touched an electrified metal plate, Hartman says, "I can't speculate."

You would think that the results might be the same, dog vs toddler. (Maybe shoes are the protective and grounding item vs bare paws). Wow this is horrible. Seattle is such a beautiful city, one would think they would correct the problem FAST!!!

I guess this is a "WATCH YOUR STEP" City. Be careful everyone, no matter which city you are in.