Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Say Hello To Boone

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday! We were severely sleep deprived and getting Boone settled in.

We got to airport Friday night and had a really hard time finding Delta cargo so I was glad we got there really early. Turned out that Delta shared with another airline and there were no signs. He arrived around 11:30 pm. When they brought him out in the crate he was cowering in the back corner and shaking. He was the only animal on that leg of the flight. We talked to him while they finished the paperwork and then we took him to the van and didn't even try doing a potty break outside. (He'd been in the crate for 14 hours or so by that point and had already used the shredded newspaper in his crate for that anyway)

I took him out of the crate once we were in the van and he totally avoided any eye contact or interaction. I held him for the ride home and he hid his face under my arm for a good share of that time. Once we got him home he slowly interacted with us a bit but was still really nervous and scared. We stayed up til about 2:30 am to give him some time to get acquainted. He seemed more comfortable with my husband Nick than with me so we let him go with that. He never made a peep all night long in his big crate. I think he was too scared to make any noise. He woke up about 7:30 and whined a bit. Took him outside and he's been doing great with the potty training. We have a bell on the door and he's already getting the idea to ring it, By the end of the day yesterday he was totally recovered from his ordeal and his personality is coming out big time. He has figured out I'm his playmate and Nick is the one to cuddle with when he's tired. His favorite nap spot is under Nick's wheelchair. He is quite the character and just has a ton of personality. Last night he whined and cried and howled for about 30 min when he had to go into the crate for the night. He woke us up twice to go out during the night and thought he should get to stay outside to play. He wasn't happy with me bringing him back in. It was about 30 more min of whining and howling each time before he settled down and went to sleep.

He has a ton of energy and LOVES being outdoors. He doesn't get the whole "house living" thing yet. He throws a royal fit when he has to come inside...barking whining howling and throwing himself down...reminds me of a toddler lol He is just so darn happy to get outside. He rolls in the grass, chases bees, carries sticks, tromps through the flowerbeds and loves to lay in the Mexican Heather and under the tall grasses. It's a beautiful weekend in Texas so he's got to spend plenty of time out there in the yard. I'm not so sure we'll be outside as much when it drops to the 30s and 40s this week!

I forgot to mention that Boone is from the Azteca X Jay litter. He had a sibling who is white and gray. We had a stuffed bear and a stuffed husky type dog in his crate the first night. He has shown absolutely no interest in the bear, it's in the same exact spot as I put it. However, from the first night he has loved on and played with the white and gray dog. He wrestles with it, carries it around, sleeps with it and has even carried a bone over to it and pushed it to him. Very cute!!

He hasn't had an appetite at all. This concerns me, so I'll be keeping a close eye on that. I've offered him Kim's food, a blend of Kim's and Taste of the Wild Puppy Prarieland with and without goat's milk. Just not too interested at all. He has no food motivation so treats aren't working well yet. He doesn't act sick and he has a ton of energy. He's pooping normal stools, multiple times per day. He's drinking some water and always drinks the goats milk off the food. Hoping it's just the stress of travel and he will have an appetite soon. He is scheduled for his first vet check on Friday but they said I can bring him in sooner if I want to.

I haven't had time to look at the forums to figure out who has his siblings yet. I'll be anxious to find out and re read or hear about their experiences.

All in all, Boone is a bundle of energy and personality. He's come out of his shell and is making himself at home. Now he just has to figure out that living in a house is the "good life"!

PB081551.JPG

10415724_10205179597754709_2325294739463144557_n.jpg

10403468_10205179592194570_1989386852109188051_n.jpg

1476176_10205179594874637_3905310344635125398_n.jpg

20141108_091324.jpg

20141108_093433.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like we have made huge progress in the last 12 hours. Boone has willing come into the house 4 times now. Now I'm not saying he was happy about it, but I didn't have to carry him across the th

I know that feeling of losing them in the garden, on the chairs etc. Walking right past them wondering where the heck they are..... Both Tolinka and Two Step are the color of fall leaves... Rain

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday! We were severely sleep deprived and getting Boone settled in.   We got to airport Friday night and had a really hard time finding Delta cargo so

Posted Images

I think your the first to note on the forum of one of Azteca X Jay pups.

I hope Boone starts eating soon. Toddler reference - so appropriate from what you described! :lol:

His name looks fitting :)

Thanks for the update and pics!!!!!!! My sister likes the Mexican heather one and I think the tall grass one is great! :D

Oh and that's precious about him giving a bone to the "puppy". He's already a care giver!!!! :)

Edited by Denise E.

What a sweet and good looking boy! Love the one in the heather. BTW dogs LOVE cold air. It makes them zoomie.

You are probably right about the eating. Keep an eye on that and how much he drinks, pees and poops. Waki was originally picky and then he wasn't in a rocks are yummy too kind of way.

When Shiva has an upset tummy we will give him goat yogert and cooked chicken breast or hamburger. The cooked meat is easy on his stomach. And yes, he's a German Shepherd and he is emotional - sometimes but not very often there will be something going on and it will get him upset/ worked up and he'll get an upset stomach. For example one of us might be on a business trip or there might be a worker at the house and he has to stay in the fenced area while we are -gasp- on the other side where the worker is. Don't worry you won't spoil Boone for any other food. Once the growth kicks in he'll eat!

I'd also make a play date with Bandit and bro. Sounds like your boy is missing his dog family and could benefit from knowing he's not in a strange new dogless universe. You can ask the vet about timing but I bet that as long as the other dogs have all their shots and you know/trust them it's going to be fine.

• Like 3

Thanks Sherab, good advice and always nice to hear from someone who has been through it. He actually ate his bowl of puppy kibble for the first time tonight so maybe he just needed a little time to settle in. If he doesn't eat tomorrow I'll try the cooked chicken breast. I just gave him a bath. I'm wore out and he's taking a nap too lol He really needed a bath when he got out of that airline crate Friday night but he was so upset I didn't want to stress him out any more. I would love to get together with mommom and her AIDs. He will get his second set of shots on Friday so hopefully we can do that soon. I think he would love it. We had a neighbor lady come over tonight to see him. She was very calm and did a good job of letting him check her out... But he shook all over and buried his head in her arm --so we'll have some work to do with socialization. She also has a dog so when Boone has his shots we'll get them together too.

Denise, I wish you could see him playing outside. He is so darn happy! It just makes you laugh to see him so blissful. Guess we'll be spending a lot more time outside, which is good for us too. He's going to love our parks and walking trails around the lake!

• Like 3

Welcome Boone! Thanks for the update and welcome to the madness!

• Like 2

long flight and wondering if pup went through some turbulence during flight(s). That freaks people out - can't imagine being a young animal and being bumped around while all alone in a strange place.

Alas, I need pup shipped also. Learning from you all that have had shipments first -_-^_^

Hello Boone! Yes, very good-looking,

• Like 1

what a beauty and mooka was the same when i picked him up in buffalo it was then a 7 hour drive back to toronto but when home he fit in the first night

and with going outside he does the same when time to come in he acts as if he is deaf and then when i have to go out and get him he charges in the house

like a wild animal and lays down and i get this look as if to say what i did what i was told lol,enjoy him they grow up so fast and mooka will be 2 in dec and has

hit the terrible 2s and boy i thought i was done with that but i guess the four legged ppl have them to,

• Like 2

Congratulations DR and welcome to Boone. I really like the picture of him in the grass. Looks like he was using the grass to camouflage himself.

• Like 2

Such a sweetie!! So glad to hear he is home.

Ditto in agreeance on the chicken breast. Can also do some rice cooked with chicken or beef broth and stir in some chicken (breast or canned works too). That always seems to be a hit, and reheats well, easy to make larger portions at once and put in the fridge if you think you might need over the course of several days or a week.

Loooove the purple flowers picture. Precious!

• Like 2

P.S. - we have all shots and have been playing like crazy, tearing up momma's yard, chewing everything in sight, and just generally having a good time. We can't wait to meet you!!

Love, Bandit and Kito

• Like 3

I feel like we have made huge progress in the last 12 hours. Boone has willing come into the house 4 times now. Now I'm not saying he was happy about it, but I didn't have to carry him across the threshold! He still whines and howls for awhile once the door closes and he's stuck inside.

Boone attacked his puppy kibble this morning like he hadn't eaten in days...because he hadn't. I think he has recovered from the rough transport. Kim described him as sensitive and shy and I think that had a lot to do with his reaction.

We had a rough night with the crate on Saturday--lots of crying, howling, and sounding like someone was committing murder. I was actually worried that the neighbors might be able to hear it, it was soooo loud! It lasted about 30 minutes each time he went back into the crate (three potty breaks in 7 hours). I have to say the thought of giving up and letting him out did cross our minds. But hey we survived teenagers, we can handle this right?! Well last night he started to carry on and Nick gave him the famous Cesar chsst noise we've been working on. He immediately laid down and went to sleep. We were sure it was a fluke. Woke up at 3:30 for a potty break and we repeated the Cesar thing with the same results. Everyone got some good sleep last night :D The best part is that while I cleaning the house this morning he went and got in the crate on his own and went to sleep. He got up twice to come and check on me, decided cleaning was boring, then went right back to the crate and more puppy nap time. Yes! Tough love works!!

• Like 9

That's awesome to hear! no - I know housework is boring .... I mean the part that he's going into his crate on his own! Good work!

When my neighbors were crate training their pup, she cried for over two weeks (loudly). My sister's dog was upset about it which made my sister unhappy, but it was a good teaching for her that you've got to start young to pre-empt a lot of issues later. :)

• Like 1

When we brought Kito home the first few nights he whined a bit. mommom and I would stick our hands into the carrier he was in while at the hotel and scratch his neck until he fell asleep. Since then he's been fine. Once or twice since coming home he whined but if I laid down next to his crate he was fine. He just wanted some reassurance I'm sure. After the first week at home he's been an angel, at least as far as sleeping is concerned. :D

• Like 1

Welcome Boone....glad to hear the travel is over and he is home safe and sound. I can just hear his thoughts in the photo of him in the grass...."I'm hiding and you can't you see me now," He is a great looking pup. Have fun ya all. :D

• Like 1

He is very handsome! Glad to hear he adjusting to his new home and I'm so happy for you!

• Like 2

Wow are we tired! Boone is already growing like crazy. He's getting too big to hide under Nick's wheelchair and he doesn't like that. He often just wiggles half way under now. He is so smart. He still prefers to be an outside dog. Our door is glass and he can see the backyard, which doesn't help. Now he has figured out a way to get let out to play in the yard whenever he want. We used bells on the door for house training him. Sat & Sun went really well, he got the idea and began to ring the bells when he needed to go out. Monday something clicked in his head and he realized that ringing the bell would get him outside. The first time he rang it, I opened the door & he ran for the heather, instead of the yard. And I swear he was looking back at me and laughing. We played outside awhile and brought him back inside. Repeat above scenario. The bell ringing was nonstop. He would come inside, turn around and ring the bells. They rang all day...sounded like Christmas in here! Changed them to a cow bell today. Hoping he doesn't like the sound quite as much and will only ring when he needs to go out. Somehow I doubt that is going to work lol

• Like 5

LOL. We had to craft an industrial-strength bell out of strong wire cable and heavy-duty crimps from the Home improvement store, then shrink-wrapped to cover sharp edges because someone liked to play with his bell too, but got over the initial excitement after a couple weeks. :)

• Like 1

I got a bell, but I'm not sure I'm going to use it until a couple weeks or so after pup arrives....

maybe give the pup a little time to mature before she goes off bell ringing! :blink:

Although Christmas is coming and maybe I can time it so she is Bell happy over the holidays!!!!!! :lol:

I think you're on the right track there. I left Boone in the kitchen alone ( with the gates up) for 5 minutes while I was in another room. The ENTIRE time I was gone he was ringing the cow bell. When I came back he laid down and tried to look all innocent lol

• Like 2

We're amazed at how fast Boone is growing! He has his first vet appointment today, so it will interesting to see how much he weighs now. He is so sweet and very smart. He's learning new things every day, doing well with basic commands and sleeping through the night. He has decided that our house is a pretty sweet place to be now that it's in the low 30s and windy outside. He has to be persuaded to leave the nice warm house for potty breaks and often beats me back to the door. I wouldn't have believed it seeing as how he hated being in the house a week ago!

For those of you who are waiting and might be wondering about allergies: I am allergic to most dogs and cats, I also have asthma and they can trigger really bad asthma attacks. I have seasonal allergies and am still struggling with that but my allergy symptoms have not gotten any worse since Boone arrived. He has not triggered my asthma either. I do feel that he has a dog smell. I know that many people would disagree. Even my husband says he doesn't. But I have severe allergies to most dogs and I can smell a dog a block away. It isn't bad, but there is just a mild dog smell. He's a blessing for us because we didn't think we'd ever be able to have the dog we wanted with my allergies. I couldn't be happier.

He isn't very cooperative when the camera comes out but here's a few from today. We're still working on getting good pictures for his registration papers. I can't thank everyone enough for all the support we received during the long wait. He was worth waiting for!

PB141565.JPG

PB141574.JPG

PB141571.JPG

PB141567 2.jpg

PB141570 2.jpg

• Like 5

I can't believe how much he is a twin to my grandog Chief. It's like looking at him all over again as a pup.

I do see the resemblance with Boone and Tayamni. There are differences but I bet they do make similar expressions! :P

You, Angela and I have potential therapy dogs all sired by Jay. So Ash is a half brother? I like that we all have fall pups and they were born less than two weeks apart. :wub:

• Like 2