Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Sitka Shadow Singer

http://www.zsql.com/images/cutenesssm.jpg

Oh boy this guy looks like he could create a little trouble now and then!!!

"That wasn't me it was Coyo, I swear"

Edited by Todd
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've had a breakthrough, too. Coyo and Sitka have started playing. We will try to catch it with the camera. There is nothing better to wear out a dog than another dog.

http://www.zsql.com/images/cutenesssm.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahaha hoho hahah. Great pic.

"Ahhhhhhh you wanta make a bet?"

Here are some new photos. He is doing well on the "wait" command (thank you Todd), and yesterday we started up, down, in, out. He's such a cutie:

Allison, what a handsome guy he is! And he seems to know it! Hey, can you expand on the up, down, in, and out? Forgive me if it's some obvious agility thing, I've been contemplating when to teach Miko "up" and also what that consists of, b/c I am still working hard on the "no jumping" with Miko and my toddler. I thought about doing "up" as one paw at a time slowly, so there's that distinction between jumping up and being asked to go up. Miko's good at down, but then in and out? How do you train and use those?

Perhaps we'll meet at a Gathering. I hope so. I meant to add that like Soul, our shoes are to be attacked at all times. I've been tying my shoes about 100 times a day.

I had to chuckle at this - and you thought it was soooooo cute when Soul followed you around untying your shoes...payback!! Bwahahaha

And the pictures...LMAO...the one of him in the blue tube...and that smile...oh I so recognize that! Can't wait for the gathering...our little guys are going to go off in the back and plot...I can see it!

Edited by Debi

First of all, just like the hunting books say, having one dog watch the other, is an excellent way to teach. So don't be discouraged if it takes a little longer.

We do about 5-10 minutes twice a day. That afternoon time when they get bitey, is great for treat training. It channels that energy. We start with the sit, then I hold my forearm down low, pup height, and wave that treat under his nose, then tap it on my forearm, saying "up". So he has to put his forelegs on my arm to get the treat. Then the opposite command is already set up for you, "down".

I learned this with Coyo, to teach opposite commands, and also that it is much easier to train a dog to do something, than it is to train them not to do something.

It works with all sorts of things, and the beauty is, that they get to do that thing you have asked them, a hundred times, not to do. Down becomes the opposite of up, out is only the opposite of in, no barking is only the opposite of bark!

It has saved me much frustration. I always start with the fun one first "bark" before "no bark".

"In" and "out" trail along as the opportunity presents itself.

Hey you guys, I keep thinking of things to tell you, and then when I get on here, forget them all.

One thing is that since Sitka has learned stairs, he is much more reliable. The first day, a couple days ago, he must of gone up and down the stairs a hundred times. Then yesterday, he'd sit at the top of the stairs and pee. I finally figured out he was sore from all the new exercise. So the latter part of yesterday, and today, I've been picking him up again, and carrying him.

We will see what another couple days bring.

The other thing, that I've been dying to tell you, and this may sound strange to those of you that don't have birds, but let me just preface it by saying that you have to think of it from a bird's perspective.

Birds regurgitate food for their young. Our Amazon, Gummie, did this for us, for a short while, once she was settled in and at home. She does it happily. But over these twelve years, she has not done it again, UNTIL, little Sitka arrived. I think she thinks he's our baby! So she has been happily giving up some food for the young one. It is a gift! She chuckles away, and offers up a little food.....literally. She is quite small, and mostly swallows it back down, but it is the thought that counts.

Anyway, I know it sounds weird, but you bird owners will know it is really a high compliment.

Another interesting thing that has been happening, has to do with Coyo and his strange low singing. My husband gets up very early for work, and Sitka always wakes up. So we make a quick trip to the kennel, and then I put him back in the crate for a couple extra hours, until the light breaks.

Recently Sitka is too wiggly and wants to get up. It will be light that early, very soon, but until then, I want a couple more hours. So while he can hear my husband moving around, he is crying to be let out of the crate. Coyo has started this low register singing, like one of those Monks. I thought at first he was growling, and I suppose you could make a case for that, but he hangs on his low notes, and keeps it going, and it really is resonant and more like singing.

Life with animals is strange and wonderful.

oh I agree when Snake and Malachi play outside it great to see but do not look at them snake still doesnt want you to know he likes the little guy haha but he is also a little pretective of him Snake has to go out with everytime he goes its cute and tiring

We've had a breakthrough, too. Coyo and Sitka have started playing. We will try to catch it with the camera. There is nothing better to wear out a dog than another dog.
OH! I know that look very well

Hahahahahahahahahaha hoho hahah. Great pic.

"Ahhhhhhh you wanta make a bet?"

MAlachi has been going up stair since the first weekend we got him but is still to scared to go down so he waits for me to pic him up and carry him his signals are still alittle confusing to go pee because they keep changing

BIRDS haha My macaw finally stop munilating herself I do not trust malachi with her on the floor when he can learn to be calm I will try again because all of our aniamls get along and can walk around on the floor even the cat wich Malachi thinks is a toy he has been swated at number of times but swats back thinking its play time malalchi will trhink its play time when he has his 5am potty trip if he acts up to much I will put him on the bed with the other dogs he lays down until 7 good for me I think he just want to be near them used to his litter mate i geuss

Hey you guys, I keep thinking of things to tell you, and then when I get on here, forget them all.

One thing is that since Sitka has learned stairs, he is much more reliable. The first day, a couple days ago, he must of gone up and down the stairs a hundred times. Then yesterday, he'd sit at the top of the stairs and pee. I finally figured out he was sore from all the new exercise. So the latter part of yesterday, and today, I've been picking him up again, and carrying him.

We will see what another couple days bring.

The other thing, that I've been dying to tell you, and this may sound strange to those of you that don't have birds, but let me just preface it by saying that you have to think of it from a bird's perspective.

Birds regurgitate food for their young. Our Amazon, Gummie, did this for us, for a short while, once she was settled in and at home. She does it happily. But over these twelve years, she has not done it again, UNTIL, little Sitka arrived. I think she thinks he's our baby! So she has been happily giving up some food for the young one. It is a gift! She chuckles away, and offers up a little food.....literally. She is quite small, and mostly swallows it back down, but it is the thought that counts.

Anyway, I know it sounds weird, but you bird owners will know it is really a high compliment.

Another interesting thing that has been happening, has to do with Coyo and his strange low singing. My husband gets up very early for work, and Sitka always wakes up. So we make a quick trip to the kennel, and then I put him back in the crate for a couple extra hours, until the light breaks.

Recently Sitka is too wiggly and wants to get up. It will be light that early, very soon, but until then, I want a couple more hours. So while he can hear my husband moving around, he is crying to be let out of the crate. Coyo has started this low register singing, like one of those Monks. I thought at first he was growling, and I suppose you could make a case for that, but he hangs on his low notes, and keeps it going, and it really is resonant and more like singing.

Life with animals is strange and wonderful.

this is too funny I never thought of bird toys I have a few Holly will not use NEW PUPPY TOY nothing like your though

Here are some new photos. He is doing well on the "wait" command (thank you Todd), and yesterday we started up, down, in, out. He's such a cutie:

cutie.JPG

This is a Parrot toy, that she never liked. Sitka makes no distinction:

tunnel5.JPG

tunnel3.JPG

He is getting silly already:

tunnel2.JPG

tunnel4.JPG

tunnel1.JPG

MAlachi has been going up stair since the first weekend we got him but is still to scared to go down so he waits for me to pic him up and carry him his signals are still alittle confusing to go pee because they keep changing

BIRDS haha My macaw finally stop munilating herself I do not trust malachi with her on the floor when he can learn to be calm I will try again because all of our aniamls get along and can walk around on the floor even the cat wich Malachi thinks is a toy he has been swated at number of times but swats back thinking its play time malalchi will trhink its play time when he has his 5am potty trip if he acts up to much I will put him on the bed with the other dogs he lays down until 7 good for me I think he just want to be near them used to his litter mate i geuss. I forgot My Macaw will throw her food on th e grown for the dogs malachi is always eating pumkin and sunflower seed even if it s the shells

Yeah, Linda, it is always a revelation when the dog figures out that the parrot throws food. Then their relationship can begin.

We had another breakthrough this morning. Sitka went to the door, and asked to go out. Hooray!!!

His ears are growing. I hope the rest of him catches up.

sitkasitting3.JPGsitkasitting2.jpg

Oh wow! He is so gorgeous!

Linnea

Allison,

He is such a handsome boy! isnt it just such a great breakthrough when they start asking to go outside to pee, and do it by standing at the front door with a little cry. Mica is great at that now! i'm going to start doing the 'up' 'down' training you spoke of. I have been doing the down one, and Mica is figuring it out pretty fast, but not thought about the up command. thanks for the tip.

Sitka's ears are so much bigger than Mica's!!

D

what a beauty, and I love his dots (beauty marks?).

one thing I regret not doing with Ursula was taking a picture of the bottoms of her feet. She had the most adorable little pink and black polka-dotted pads. they're still cute, but now calloused and more of a peach colour.

Yeah, those ears just started growing--all the better to ignore me with.

Thanks for the tip, Andrea. I will do that.

This morning, Sitka did the sit, stay and come, to hand signals, only. Smart little bugger.

This morning, Sitka did the sit, stay and come, to hand signals, only. Smart little bugger.

...only after a spirited and loud rendition of Slim Whitman's greatest hits at 5:00am.

We should named him "Karoke".

coyositka.jpg

AWWWWWWWW littlr brother big brother .here one of Malachi he like to wait at the door to come in he look so big look at his legs and feet

he constintly has the hick ups I look at pic from when I first got him and he looked so small and sweet hahaha

first_snow_of_2009_006.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thought I'd give you an update on our little monster.

Sitka is growing, getting that curly dog hair along the spine, and learning to be part of the household. He is getting through the biting stage, and is good about staying in the yard.

Here is a picture of all my boys:

alltheboys.JPG

My husband has really taken to the little guy, and it's a new phase of life for all of us. If you look closely, you will see that Sitka has hold of his beard:

sitkabbeard.JPG

Coyo and he are still working out some kinks, but are getting closer all the time. It is interesting how they are alike, and how they are different. Sitka worships Coyo:

bones.JPG

He is smart and beautiful and headstrong as are all of your pups.

kitchenshot.JPG

I know there was more I've been meaning to tell you, but I can't think of it, now, and he's been quiet, too long.

standingfeb.JPG

Little Monster is what my husband calls Chhaya too!!!! She has sure kept us hoppin!!! Those teeth can get interesting at times.....the raw bones help keep her busy though!

Love the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, thought I'd give you an update on our little monster.

Sitka is growing, getting that curly dog hair along the spine, and learning to be part of the household. He is getting through the biting stage, and is good about staying in the yard.

Here is a picture of all my boys:

alltheboys.JPG

My husband has really taken to the little guy, and it's a new phase of life for all of us. If you look closely, you will see that Sitka has hold of his beard:

sitkabbeard.JPG

Coyo and he are still working out some kinks, but are getting closer all the time. It is interesting how they are alike, and how they are different. Sitka worships Coyo:

bones.JPG

He is smart and beautiful and headstrong as are all of your pups.

kitchenshot.JPG

I know there was more I've been meaning to tell you, but I can't think of it, now, and he's been quiet, too long.

standingfeb.JPG