Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Life Expectancy

My dog is three, if that helps. :D

Hahahaha.

They have a longer life expectancy than most breeds their size, and are closer to the life expectancy of the smaller breeds. Being overweight is one of the most common causes of shorter life expectancy. Keep them lean.

Kim's older dogs are still very active, although his oldest is starting to show a few symptoms of age, but she still rules the female kennel.

How is Shadow Dancer doing at 13, Judy? Does she still run with the pups?

Happy Birthday Shadow Dancer!!!!

Hahahaha.

They have a longer life expectancy than most breeds their size, and are closer to the life expectancy of the smaller breeds. Being overweight is one of the most common causes of shorter life expectancy. Keep them lean.

Kim's older dogs are still very active, although his oldest is starting to show a few symptoms of age, but she still rules the female kennel.

Shadow is still spry and runs with the pup (even though they all drive her nuts!!) I still remember when Larry brought her home -- she was a little munchkin!!! She is very active -- does her six miles a day with no problem!!

Shadow is still spry and runs with the pup (even though they all drive her nuts!!) I still remember when Larry brought her home -- she was a little munchkin!!! She is very active -- does her six miles a day with no problem!!

Six miles a day....that's impressive! You go Shadow.

Six miles a day....that's impressive! You go Shadow.

Yep, rain or shine, we all go three miles in the morning and three miles in the evening! It's great for us and keeps Shadow limber and the other guys need the exercise too!!!

JudyK

I can't even do six miles...

Sure ya can!!! Start practicing now -- that way YOU will be ready when you get to raise a pup!!! They do need lots of exercise so prepare!!! (But then, so do we!)

JudyK

I'll ask Kim, for you.

I'll ask Kim, for you.

Didn't you say not too long ago that his oldest is 18. I think that is Dusty Roads. She just happens to be Hawk's great grandma. Kim told me at one time that he knows of one that lived up to 23. Maybe I misunderstood.

Lisa

Didn't you say not too long ago that his oldest is 18. I think that is Dusty Roads. She just happens to be Hawk's great grandma. Kim told me at one time that he knows of one that lived up to 23. Maybe I misunderstood.

Lisa

Seems to me I heard the same thing about "Queen Dusty Roads." Isn't she the only one that climbs to the top pier of the structure that Kim built in the female pen?

Seems to me I heard the same thing about "Queen Dusty Roads." Isn't she the only one that climbs to the top pier of the structure that Kim built in the female pen?

Yep, that's her. You'd never guess she's 18.

So, what is the age of the oldest one on file? And, do you think 13 is about an average lifespan for these dogs.

No, 13 certainly isn't average!! Kim has a couple that are a lot older.

No, 13 certainly isn't average!! Kim has a couple that are a lot older.

Yeah, but knowing that there are dogs who have lived considerably longer than 13 doesn't say anything about the average. Those long-lived dogs get balanced out by the ones who die too young. 18 is exceptional.

I did read on the SDK web site that AIDs are generally very healthy, and have long lives. But I never asked Kim if he had data to back that up. To me it wasn't important - knowing the general information was enough. Longevity was one of the primary considerations for me.

Karen

Yeah, but knowing that there are dogs who have lived considerably longer than 13 doesn't say anything about the average. Those long-lived dogs get balanced out by the ones who die too young. 18 is exceptional.

I did read on the SDK web site that AIDs are generally very healthy, and have long lives. But I never asked Kim if he had data to back that up. To me it wasn't important - knowing the general information was enough. Longevity was one of the primary considerations for me.

Karen

Speaking of getting old, Lil Chief turns 10 months old today. I know of one of his siblings out in Utah - does anyone else have any relatives of him??? He was born from Sonoma and Rowdy (stud muffin!!!)

JudyK

The oldest I ever heard of was 22 ... I would say between 14 & 18 ... so

16 - 17 average (if they are not over weight).

Hooray Li'l Chief!

Each and every time I get worried about Soul's size, I re-read Kim's email to me about weight problems and I sigh a breath of relief...he's so dang skinny compared to some others!

But he eats like a pig now that we are mixing his Candidae with (don't anyone yell at me! LOL - he loves it and it works to get him to eat) RR Nutrish. Kim explained to me that Soul's high metabolism and our ability to keep him active leads to a good bet that he'll live a long and healthy life. I think the key is balancing it all - food, activity, and love.

No one can "predict" how long a dog will live. My son's dog, Buster, is the perfect example. Nick found Buster, who is a long haired dachshund, on the railroad tracks about 4 years ago. Buster had tags from a local vet, so he took him over there to see if someone was missing him. The vet explained that Buster's owner had moved about 8 months before and couldn't take the dog with him...someone who had agreed to take Buster had "dumped" him. Well, of course, Nick felt sorry for the little guy and decided to keep him. When he asked the vet how old Bust was - and a check of the records showed it to be true - he said 12. That was 4 years ago. Buster has gone partially blind and has some skin issues, but once in my son's care, he thrived. He wags his tail constantly, runs and plays in the yard, eats like a small horse, and other than sleeping more - keeps up with Nick's other dachshund - who is 3. Average life span for a dachshund? 12-14 years...so! The vet says its amazing that Buster is still alive due to the life he led before Nick got him...but, he also said that a dog lives to please and be loved and any dog who is healthy will live a long life if properly given that...

Sure ya can!!! Start practicing now -- that way YOU will be ready when you get to raise a pup!!! They do need lots of exercise so prepare!!! (But then, so do we!)

JudyK

i WOULD LOVE TO WALK 3 MILES EXCEPT i DONT KNOW WHERE TO WALK AND GET BORED WITH THE SAME path every day

• 1 month later...

I know of another sibling in the East named Flossie but have not been in touch since they were all a few months old. She also had blue eyes.

Speaking of getting old, Lil Chief turns 10 months old today. I know of one of his siblings out in Utah - does anyone else have any relatives of him??? He was born from Sonoma and Rowdy (stud muffin!!!)

JudyK

Here's some life expectancy news for you, Sarah Harrison, from England, who used to work with Kim, but has retired from breeding her dogs, wrote Kim and mentioned her dogs are now 18 and 19. A little hard of hearing, but otherwise, healthy and going strong.

Hahahaha.

Allison isnt Kim alpha female 19 now

JudyK

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIL CHIEF

FROM ME AND THE BOYS