Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Spirit Dog Phenomenon.......

Quote Kim laFlamme:

SPIRIT DOG PHENOMENON

Does your dog seem too much like a previous dog? Does he or she seem strangely perceptive? Is it just a primitive brain-center connection or is that your spirit dog?

Oct 2015 update | TheDogPress.com
Barbara J. Andrews, Editor-In-Chief

“Can a dog you’ve had a long time come back in the form of a new dog?” I was talking to the CEO of a major (human) supplement company about doing a line of pet products, when he suddenly blurted out a question that was heavy on his mind.

In the awkward silence that followed, I quickly said “Absolutely. Many dog handlers, judges, and breeders say exactly that.” Putting his question on a professional level made it acceptable to venture forward. He went into more detail about his old dog and the eerily familiar behavior of his new dog.

Some people, like that man of science, try to shrug it off as just a “silly” feeling. For others, it can be unsettling, even frightening. Our ancestors knew the spirit world but we don’t expect to encounter it in the 21st century!

Depending on religious convictions or heritage, many people who experience “spirit dog” contact will go online, privately seeking information and reassurance. We here at TheDogPress.com believe it is not an uncommon phenomenon and we want people to be comforted with what they find here.

Animal spirit contact is not to be confused with séance or religious experience. A spirit guide experience can happen to anyone, almost always unexpectedly. Such contact may happen only once in a lifetime, or as a person’s mind is opened, the phenomenon can expand to include a very keen perception of Signs and Symbols. image001.jpg

The executive confided that he was still uneasy about his new dog so I told him about my first experience with a heart-dog.

Sachmo (Ch. Okii Yubi’s Sachmo Of Makoto, ROMXP) was bought as a puppy. >From the very beginning, he was different. He seemed to be scrutinizing us and making some kind of decision. This is not to be confused with shyness or being in a strange place. Not at all. He was totally confident. It was the highest flattery when finally, he accepted our love.

Bill was an independent trucker. When he finally agreed to take me on the road for a few trips, we parked the kids with his parents but they refused the 5 months old pup.

image002.jpg

So Sachmo rode shotgun and I learned to drive. In that time there were real truck stops and the CBs soon spread the story of “the bear in the Peterbilt.” The legend began one night in Abilene when two drivers came running into the restaurant yelling “Who’s got the red Peterbilt with a bear in it?” We ran to the truck where a crowd had gathered. A would-be thief had opened the driver's door. He was long gone but his blood was still there and no one else had dared come close enough to shut the door. Sachmo sat calmly in the driver’s seat, figuratively and literally.

The dog was different and everyone sensed it. There were very few judges who denied him in the breed ring. In the group ring he stood behind only the German Shepherd Dog, Doberman, and Dane. Some judges were annoyed at that, some smiled, but not one ever ordered him back to the end of the line where new breeds went. Sachmo exuded a “presence” that most people (and all dogs) recognized. It had nothing to do with show standards but ask any group judge of the 70s. They will remember him.

Sachmo was barely 7 years when he suddenly bled out from an unsuspected hemangiosarcoma. We buried him in his favorite winter-sun “resting place” and I went into deep depression.

Two weeks later, Cheryl Garren, the only person other than Bill who had known Sachmo’s affection, screeched into our driveway and burst in to the den. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Shut up and listen” was her agitated reply. “I’m on my lunch break. Here, take these” and she handed me a dozen yellow roses. Before I could respond she said “Sachmo sent them. I had to go way out of the way to the florist, I’ll be late getting back…”

She stopped, took a deep breath and then said “BJ that damned dog kept me awake all night. Every time I dozed off he jabbed me.” I felt the tears finally come as she continued “Finally I might have dozed off, maybe I dreamed this, I don’t know but I saw him. BJ, he was magnificent, standing on a ledge. I could see the wind ruffle his coat. He never looked my way, just said to bring you yellow roses, that you would know what it meant, and to tell you that he was okay and he would always watch over you.”

She sat down next to my desk and our tears flowed together. Finally she said “He didn’t say it in words but I heard them. Oh BJ, it was awful. I sat up in bed and I went over and over it. I wanted to call you but I knew that wasn’t what he wanted. I went to work but couldn’t concentrate. Finally I gave up, no matter how crazy it was, I had to go get the roses and come here.”

She nodded at the bouquet I held, forgotten. “Does it mean anything to you?”

I glanced down at the tiny buds unfolding into new life. I couldn’t talk about my grandmother, couldn't say what they meant to her. I just nodded.

“Ok, later. I have to get back to work…” I made no move to walk out with her. I sat quietly, waiting for Sachmo to come to me. He didn’t. I was hurt, confused. I must have sat there for hours until my husband came home. I told him what happened. He said nothing but when he put his arms around me, I could swear, my dog was suddenly there with us.

Kim La Flamme ~ founder/trustee of the AIDog breed for over 45 years -- www.indiandogs.com

• Like 7
  • 1 year later...

WOW, get your Kleenex out......

This should have been stated before the posting - lol! with tears running down my face :wub:

• Like 2

IMGP0031.jpgSachmo sounds like my kind of being or he had me at blood all over the truck...

Some of my friends call this our earth walk. I think that's a great way to describe being in this hard, tactile physical plane. Others in other planes of existence can sometimes communicate with us but through subtile means, like dreams, visions and so on. This can be disturbing to us because it's not easy to know if we just had an ordinary dream or something more. If we are interpreting a coincidence as a sign because it's what we want. Because of this some Lamas won't take something seriously unless someone else has a corroborating independent dream or vision. Two points - It's nice when we can be hit over the head properly and there is a reality to this phenomena. OK 3 points - you have to be both open and not too open, which is why it's hard for some people to talk about it or believe especially depending on the belief system one is raised in. Many people don't believe in anything else beyond what current science can measure and what they can touch. Many don't believe in continuity of consciousness after death. In Tibetan Buddhism (which I talk about not because it's best but because I know it) we not only believe in continuity of consciousness but we believe you have ultimate control over how and what is next. If you don't know you have control you go like a seed on the wind. If you do know I suspect it's going to be easier to show up in someone's dreams.

In the beginning of the post above I thought they were going to talk about people feeling like another dog "came back" in a new dog's body. It's not exactly where they went in the story but I absolutely believe a being in your life can have unfinished karma with you and re-enter your life in a different body. Some of the most credible western investigations into the phenomena have been done out of the University of Virginia https://www.amazon.com/Life-Before-Childrens-Memories-Previous/dp/031237674X much of the data clusters around individuals with lives cut short but not all. Some of the stories are around individuals that had a good family life and wanted to come back to the community and had been told it was within the realm of possibility before they died. My story is around a cat that got hit by a car. We adored this cat and it was a great blow to lose him. To this day we haven't had another cat. However a dog entered our life many months later. During the time this dog was in the womb it was winter. We had hard frosts and all our plants were dormant except one rose that was blooming with perfect unscathed blooms. When our pup came to us he took up all the cat's old spots, did things the cat did and he dug out every cat toy in the house, yard and barn (hidden stuff - I thought I'd picked up all of it and put it away). We were amazed there were so many. He preferred these to the dog toys we got him. On his first walk to the mail box he pointed out where he died. I mentioned this to my husband and he told me the pup had done the same with him. The vet put our dead cat's photo on our pup's file. After a while we decided there was a non-random pattern.

We have a death practice called Powa (transfer of conciousness) which is intended to help beings go to a good destination upon death. The thinking is maybe you can do it on your own but maybe not and so why not a little help such as it is. There's pith powa anyone can do of any belief system and there's detailed powa for a specific timing in the death process. When Shiva passed I did the detailed powa (called rainbow powa). There's no movie camera or watching the pot boil to know how it all went and it's easy to fret after - how did it go? Is he well? In the evening the setting western sun found it's way through the trees, bounded off an open window glass and illuminated a statue of Mahakala just as I was in a place to see it. Still I did fret and later at a significant time there was a double rainbow over his resting place. We live in the woods so it had to be a very obvious and located over the driveway sort of rainbow. I give you these stories for what it is worth, and hope you find some comfort and hope in them.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 4

We have our ways and prayers in Lakota also to help the ones who have dropped their robes to get where they need to go.

We check for confirmations of "signs" to. Don't believe in coincidences but still need to make sure we are not putting meaning on something because we want to.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

"A Dogs Purpose," by Bruce Cameron...a great story of the spirit dog phenomenon....

• Like 1
"A Dogs Purpose," by Bruce Cameron...a great story of the spirit dog phenomenon....

I may just read the book.

Wanted to see the movie, but after seeing that video released to TMZ not happy with the way that dog was treated.

It's a trained dog (and had practiced before from reports), the dog clearly did not want to go in the water that day to perform.

The Shepard latches onto the handler's arm to not go in, and then the video cuts to the actor swimming to the dog (seemingly to save the dog) that we see submerge under water.

With the video that has audio you can hear the actor in the water (or someone) is very concerned.

I don't like the timing of this video - it should have been brought to light sooner. <_ i think that person waited to make money.>

I sincerely hope the handler learned from this and there haven't been any similar incidents again.

It seems the dog knew he/she wasn't up to swimming in that water that day.

I'm glad it is being investigated but wish it was able o be investigated at the time.

When I saw the commercials and trailer for this movie I was really revved up to see it!

I'm glad the actor that did the voice over is asking about this.

People do care :wub:

• Like 4

It looks like a tear jerker. Ole' Yeller? I almost died from dehydration.

I did see the TMZ video. Maybe not the best choices, but it did look like everyone was invested in making sure the dog was okay. Not sure if it was cruelty, or just pushing him beyond his comfort zone. He was definitely saying "NO". I blame the handler. Take 5, do a test run, anything to help the dog. I know minutes= money on the set. Courts will decide.

Makes me wonder about "The Incredible Journey". That filming could not have been easy for those animals.

Did you guys know Kim did some work with the film industry? I will wrestle up a story from him.

• Like 5

I have doubt that Cameron was involved with this part of the production. He wrote a great story. If this truly went on, I'm sure he was disappointed in the way things were portrayed. Its a shame that this happened. On the other hand, it seems like people like to produce and jump on the drama of things. Sometimes things really aren't what they seem....but what do I know.? NOTHING! :ph34r:

• Like 3

I was taught believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Old New England saying?

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Quote Kim laFlamme:

Kim La Flamme ~ founder/trustee of the AIDog breed for over 45 years -- www.indiandogs.com