Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Labradoodle Creator: "i've Done A Lot Of Damage,"

Thought you all may appreciate an interesting article in our local paper this morning:

http://seattletimes.com/html/pets/2022850338_apxlabradoodlelament.html

From the article:

"He's deemed the man who unleashed the designer dog craze, this wave of Maltipoos, puggles and shorkies.

A Doberhuahua? Not quite.

But from that new Super Bowl ad to Hollywood boulevards and nearly to the White House, these pooches with cute names are pretty popular.

Hardly what Wally Conron expected -- or ever wanted -- back in the late 1980s when he first bred a pair of prize canines and called the result a Labradoodle.

"I've done a lot of damage," Conron told The Associated Press this week by phone from his home in Australia. "I've created a lot of problems."

"Marvelous thing? My foot," he said. "There are a lot of unhealthy and abandoned dogs out there.""

Interesting article Gib.

Here's the problem that troubles him.

Wally Conron said there are far too many unscrupulous people eager to make a buck at a dog's expense. Rather than check the history and science, he said "horrific" puppy mills are springing up and producing unstable dogs that go unwanted and eventually are euthanized.

"Instead of breeding out the problems, they're breeding them in," he said. "For every perfect one, you're going to find a lot of crazy ones."

That's a concern Conron has echoed in the past, blaming himself for opening a "Pandora's box" and creating a "Frankenstein."

What a nightmare.

Labradoodles were on our short list of breeds to look in to.

We had met a mostly Lab and only a little oodle..... but we could never find another one like it. So, we found out, like the guy said, "check the geneology". The real goods just weren't there ..... for us.

Met a couple the other day on a walk that just totally Got It. They said that from a distance, when they saw us coming, that they loved these dogs. The lady said something that stuck with me. I'm not sure I understand what she meant but I like the way she said it. "They look smarter than feral."

Very interesting. Makes me really appreciate Kim's knowledge.