• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Love to travel and meet new people. Love College Football and many other sports. Enjoy time with family and training my dog!

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

So happy you solved the issue! nothing worse than your pup not doing well! Hope the healing continues!

#22 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1671 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

I use food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth) in Coffey's food from time to time - especially if he starts to eat other dog poop at dog park.

I tried using it in with Tayamni's food last time she ate too much sheep poop but she has a sensitive balance so I don't use it for her.  It made her intestinal grumbling worse instead of better (gas pockets).

Coffey does get some smelly farts when I give it to him.  I use once a day and just less than half his recommended ratio.  I was splitting the ratio over both feedings but had to put up with worse than bully stick farts ALOT.  He was like a gas leak! (no stuck gas pockets in him!)

I use it now and then for about a week on the less than half ratio once a day when he starts to be interested in another dogs poop.  That seems to do the trick.  This one dog has spleen issues and is on meds on and off and special food and that's what Coffey likes - it seems when the dog needs meds so something different is excreted in the poop.  The DE really helps when needed!

#23 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:55 AM

Yes, food grade diatamacious earth. It helps give them some needed nutrients, acts as a preventative against ticks (when dusted on their coats- carefully, as you don't want to get the dust in their lungs or yours!), and I only give it to him a few days a week ( a tsp only) in his food. I believe calcium is what is mostly garnered from it...I'd have to check again. (too early yet for the brain to remember, lol!) You give it to them less if they've had a couple of bones (like the thigh or wing bones from poultry, which he crunches on like potato chips!), as the bones give them plenty of calcium... I was overenthusiastic last week, and loved watching him eat natural food happily, that his poop came out too light colored, which scared me, and then I remembered- too much calcium can do that...pulled back on the DE and bones only 3 x a week, and a day later, he is back to normal (no ill effects at all, though, just a different color poop.)

Oh yes, Sri, isn't it wonderful to watch eating with gusto after all that? It is SO good to hear, and the healing will continue! 

Edited by KittynDoc, 05 April 2017 - 04:00 AM.

#24 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Married to my best friend, Camping, Swimming, Hooping, Hiking, Bicycling, Tattoos, and Burning Man.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

I cut the chicken pieces smaller making them bit size, mix food grade DE  (in the morning only), seasonal herbs (dandelion, nettle, mugwort),  a sprinkle of garlic, and a teaspoon of chopped onion (not always), and mix this with chopped lelttuces of all sorts, and sometimes parsley or cilantro. AMAZING how glossy his coat has become, how soft his fur is, clear eyes and strong, really white teeth (the bones sound like potato chips when he eats, lol!), not to mention his stools are less and just the right firmness. I'll be looking to get some liver, necks, etc. to mix in the food. Have to talk to the butcher, and he will custom make these...if you talk to your local butcher, they discard this usually, so you can ask them to make a  mix for you from these.

Just to clarify for people who may be making food for their pets - garlic is 5x as poisonous as onions for dogs. While I'm sure that you aren't using loads, I just had to make sure to say it! 

“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

#25 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Just to clarify for people who may be making food for their pets - garlic is 5x as poisonous as onions for dogs. While I'm sure that you aren't using loads, I just had to make sure to say it! 

If you read Juliette de BairacliLlevy's book on Natural Dog rearing, you will learn that most information in mainstream dog care and feeding is false. I appreciate you saying so, though. Natural pet products have, 

wafers for pets to take that are specifically, GARLIC & BREWERS YEAST to keep parasites and bugs from biting. I sprinkle dehydrated  garlic on his food...and you are right, it is not loads, and not every meal, either. It is difficult for many to change their thinking on what has been preached and thought of as something that is dangerous for dogs. I would highly recommend her book on Natural Dog rearing...but be ready to feel like it is against everything you ever believed in.  :)

#26 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:55 AM

http://www.naturalre...nal_herbal.html  Just so you can see what I am talking about. This lady was amazing, with incredible knowledge that she garnered her entire life, living like a nomad, among the gypsies. She lived and traveled with her animals, keeping their immune systems healthy and they had no vaccinations, ate only raw, wild food, and supplements that she made and gave them (herbs like garlic, thyme, rue, kelp and so many more!). Her dogs led long and healthy lives.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users