Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

All of this is all too familiar and we're consulting a trainer. We've had one home visit that went well, we'll see how it goes from here. Seriously considering the shock collar. Fantastic, loving, super intelligent dogs, but wow, such an independent streak to go along with it! For the safety of the dog recall is so important. You do worry about them breaking away when there's traffic. The coyotes around here have it down...in Chicago they have learned to cross with the traffic signals, out here in the 'burbs, my daughter saw a coyote with a kill in it's mouth sit down at the curb of a busy road and wait for the traffic to clear before crossing. Kaposia? That prey drive sets her off and she still would chase cars if not on that leash.

• Like 2
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My shock collar has a vibrate mode. It does not hurt at all, just wiggles. On walks, I would vibrate the collar if Chester didn't come immediately when I said, "This Way." Pretty quickly, didn't re

For some reason all three of my AIdogs understand the term "this way." If I start going in one direction and then change directions, and say "this way" they follow me every time. Now that's in the p

Update on Nakoma's Recall:   In April (after the jetty incident) I got Nakoma a long 20ft' leash to use for recalling. Sometimes I had it tied to my waist hoping he'd feel a tug when he got to the

Posted Images

All of this is all too familiar and we're consulting a trainer. We've had one home visit that went well, we'll see how it goes from here. Seriously considering the shock collar. Fantastic, loving, super intelligent dogs, but wow, such an independent streak to go along with it! For the safety of the dog recall is so important. You do worry about them breaking away when there's traffic. The coyotes around here have it down...in Chicago they have learned to cross with the traffic signals, out here in the 'burbs, my daughter saw a coyote with a kill in it's mouth sit down at the curb of a busy road and wait for the traffic to clear before crossing. Kaposia? That prey drive sets her off and she still would chase cars if not on that leash.

The return of the. e-collar strikes!! Wyot is going to be 2 in two weeks..he is a quiet, for the most part, calm dog. He still has a bit of a whining problem, but ignoring and emphatically telling him to stop usually works. We started using the e-collar on Kitchee (9 months now), and the sound and just seeing the collar sends both of the dogs into a tizzy, because it means " we are going out!!!!"....Wyot needs a bit of re-schooling on recall, as he has decided that listening to me whistling to get him back, etc. is just NOT working. He is going to go where he wants, come when he wants, and Kitchee, who comes when called, looks back to see where Wyot is, and then won't budge unless his brother is coming back...so, he sits there, looking at me, and looking towards where he has seen Wyot last.

One session with the e-collar, and not even pressing the button for the buzz....he's back to being an obedient dog, and comes when whistled or called to come home, come to me, etc...and Kitchee is right behind him. SO. It is well worth the purchase. They are smart, and associate the collar with- uh oh, I better listen. So now, I just put it on, take the remote, and just the visual and feel of the collar on him is enough to make him obedient on the recall! Good luck! ....and oh my, a coyote waiting for traffic to clear? LOL! Yep, our dogs would just go WHAT CARS???!!! I can catch them.....!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

We are 4 classes in to an 8 class series (Obedience 101) and miracle of miracles, Kaposia is responding to recall! Even when she's out in the back yard off leash and doesn't really WANT to come, she does....slowly, reluctantly, but since learning the command she has not once ignored the command. This trainer does use high value treats as reward (not a bribe!) Timing is crucial...command, response, PRAISE, reward. We are now at the point of mixing it up with giving the treat as reward, sometimes yes, sometimes no, and will wean off the treats entirely soon, and always praise for a proper response. There are 6 other dogs in the class, which is a lot of distraction. Kaposia sometimes has a little trouble learning new things in class with all the distraction, but after a week of doing our homework the new behaviors become solid very quickly. The trainer does ask each dog/owner team to demonstrate the lessons from the previous week at the beginning of each class. Kaposia's always been a sweetheart of a dog, and we did do some basic training on our own, but refining the commands and behaviors is wonderful. All three of us are enjoying the classes. Last night one of the new commands was "leave it!" By the end of class, Kaposia could be trusted to ignore cubed turkey sitting on the edge of a folding chair if we said "leave it!" I'm really hoping that lesson is strong enough when the baby bunnies arrive next Spring!

• Like 2

One funny observation with the classes...the other dogs are highly treat motivated. Kaposia on the other hand, does like the treats, but you can just see the gears turning in that little brain as she weighs her options before responding. She really thinks about it first. She does thrive more on the praise, responding with a big smile and bright eyes. She was especially pleased with herself, I think, on obstacle course night after accomplishing the ramp, swimming pool, walking on a wire grate, responding properly to a person in a moving wheelchair, and not panicking at a loud vaccum cleaner. After class, she's still smiling as we load her in to the van and lock her seat belt strap, but she's asleep by the time we get home....good times.

• Like 4
One funny observation with the classes...the other dogs are highly treat motivated. Kaposia on the other hand, does like the treats, but you can just see the gears turning in that little brain as she weighs her options before responding. She really thinks about it first. She does thrive more on the praise, responding with a big smile and bright eyes. She was especially pleased with herself, I think, on obstacle course night after accomplishing the ramp, swimming pool, walking on a wire grate, responding properly to a person in a moving wheelchair, and not panicking at a loud vaccum cleaner. After class, she's still smiling as we load her in to the van and lock her seat belt strap, but she's asleep by the time we get home....good times.

That's GREAT!!!!!

Kaposia is doing so well :)

Tayamni at about 3 1/2 stopped running away and I can walk her off-leash in the front yard. She is still treat motivated though because she stops at the treat jar every time she comes in from outside potty and I haven't given her a treat for that in years! Can't blame her for tryin'

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm really hoping that lesson is strong enough when the baby bunnies arrive next Spring!

Yum,...baby bunnies

We have several hunting friends with dogs, and baby bunnies are the hardest. Just a gulp away.