Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Love In The Time Of The Plague Or Something

Now that the plague has come to Michigan and toilet paper, like snow has vanished from the state I thought I'd open an information post on Wu Flu and dogs. 🐕 Hong Kong has been the source of two very interesting things. First there was the much reported toilet paper shortage and armed TP truck robbery that seems to have sparked the signature trend for this historic event. In 20 years of hurricane prep I never saw a run or shortage of TP but I am afraid those days may be gone going forward. Let's hope the TP thing is really more like the Macarena.

The other event was the dog that tested positive for nose and throat swabs of virus. 🦠 The original paper on that suggested the viral loading of some humans is so high that the dog was simply highly contaminated. Others say it's really the cats, pigs, ferrets and monkeys we need to worry about (ACE2) https://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/2020/02/articles/animals/cats/covid-2-and-potential-animal-hosts/

That said, the CDC is actually recommending that anyone ill avoid all other family members, including the 4 legged. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html#animals

Finally our local vet shared some links including this one that has information about vet supply chain impact. https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/animal-health-and-welfare/covid-19

• Like 1

Thank you, Sherab. Hopefully our dogs are immune. Daughter has two cats, will forward your article to her. We were very sick beginning one month ago. Aches, fever, congestion, deep lung involvement, and hubby ended up with pneumonia. Four of the Illinois cases of Wu Flu were cared for at a hospital about 1/2 mile from our house. We didn't meet the criteria of foreign travel, so of course were not tested and will never know what we really had, but two of the local hospital cases were community acquired. We're recovered, and went to do our grocery shopping yesterday morning. It was crowded and the crowd was very grim, straining to be over polite to one another but grim, and the frozen food section was empty, the were no eggs, canned and dry goods shelves were empty, and of course NO T.P., the sample kiosk was closed and housed a large display of hand sanitizer, and people were grabbing meat before the store personnel could put it on display. Hubby drives a school bus, one daughter and my sister work for the public schools, one daughter for the public library, son for UW Wisconsin, they're all home for two weeks, son-in-law owns a restaurant/bar...closed, daughter-in-law is a Physician Assistant, and of course is on the front lines at UW Wisconsin hospital, and all healthcare personnel have been told not to plan on leaving town. I'm sure many of the Song Dog family have similar stories. We've got what we need for ourselves and Kaposia for about a month. Hope this ugly chapter is finished by then. Love and good energies to all.

• Like 2

I am glad you are both better. Considering all your connections into the schools and healthcare I can believe it may have been Wu Flu. I am optimistic that it will pass over by early summer. Less hopeful about a fall restart but mainly optimistic that we'll get through it and it's not the black death or anything of that magnitude. That said, please consider your medications & vaccinations you need for your animals. Just as with buying noodles in January helped the supply chain for people needing it now, talk to your vet about what you might do early (if you are still in a low risk area) or put off till mid summer.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Priceless Lake Girl. Thanks for the giggle during these grim times. We all need a bit of humor right about now. How are the daily walks going?

IMG_4948.jpeg

• Like 4

"This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot."

Have a great day.

• Like 2

Yes, we do need the humor to lighten our days! Thank you! We have three young grandchildren in another state. Their other "Nana" lives with their family and is the care taker while both parents work. "Nan" as they call her is a fantastic lady and a real blessing to those kids. In this time of home confinement, she has taught them the fine art of "Snail Mail," so we've been exchanging amateur art work;

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Lake Girl, you have a budding artist in your family. Awesome. Love the art work. Worthy of being framed.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Good question....my feeling is, we're not done yet. I believe people are relaxing too much on the social distancing now. Over the summer as this virus travels and morphs into a different strain, there will most likely be a second wave in the fall. I think it comes down to doing what one feels in their heart, is safest to protect themselves and others....being mindful.