Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Dog Friendly Southwest 2016

Great trip so far. We took 40 from Indianapolis through Tulsa, Oklahoma City and into Albuquerque. Camp grounds are very pet friendly. Waki prefers rest stops w/o big rigs. He doesn't like the noises they make or the size. We did find one EPIC rest stop that he did like. Albuquerque has a very nice walking trail (paved) that runs the length along the Rio Grande. We stayed in a camp ground next to the Coronado Monument http://www.townofbernalillo.org/depts/campground.htm. Most peaceful in city camping ever. There are many trails, however there are also prickly things to beware of. We took the one down to the Rio Grand canoe launch and let the little ones swim. I'll have to post a video when I have time and a better internet connection. Grand Canyon South Rim is dog friendly awesome. While you can't hike down Bright Angel, the dogs are allowed on all paved paths including the 12 mile rim trail and around the facilities (just not in them). Rim trail met with my mother hen approval from the Kolb Gallery area West is wide and reasonably protected from the edge. There is also a place that we didn't have time to hit that is where a lot of weddings take place but if no one has it rented you can walk the dogs there. Many folks in the RV village have dogs and its and easy walk (1 mile) to the Rim. Also you can drive up and park to optimize doggie walks along the most scenic routes. There are no stickers here and few cacti but there are some elk and deer that are use to tourists that need to be avoided if possible. We had an 8 point and a 10 point practically obese pair of males that would come graze between the campers at dusk. We did surprise one that we didn't see and it did consider using it's pointy bits on us. There is a kennel on site if you need some people only time. Tomorrow we head for Monument Valley. More feedback to come.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMGP0141 (2).jpg

• Like 7

IMGP0281 (1).jpgIMGP0339.jpgIMGP0359.jpgIMGP0320.jpg The internet is slow here as it is in most camp grounds so I will post in batches. The market at the Grand Canyon is a foodie paradise and it has wifi but it's late to shlep down there.

• Like 7

Hello Karen, Scott, and 4 legged Kids...a thought just occurred to me...if your travels take you to Joshua Tree NP I'll be in a week long Soul Retrieval Workshop with Sandra Ingerman at Joshua Tree Retreat Center 10/18-24...also am taking an online course with Robert Moss, titled Shamanic Dreaming - Death, Dying, and the Afterlife. The subject of Spirit Houses came up and I shared a picture of your Thai Spirit House with the online class. Only identifying it as being in Michigan. A'ho!

post-89548-0-93517700-1476615116_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Oh my I really need to clean that. The first 2 years we had it, it was pristine all by it's self. I think the spirit moved out and the mouse moved in, though.

We won't make it quite that far southwest but it's nice to know you and the Tardis are out here in the general area. Sweet winds and enchanted stars!

I also forgot to say that I don't recommend the trail from Bright Angel area East towards hermit point. It's quite narrow and I bet they will have to move it 3 foot inland in the next 10 years or do some serious repair to fight the impact gravity is already having on the path. It's fine to hike w/o dogs but with dogs it would be perhaps more adventure than desired and hopefully not the trip of a lifetime.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 3

Beautiful pics! Thank you!

Not sure if I will get there anytime soon so seeing it & with dogs in pics is very enjoyable.

Glad to hear there are a lot of dog friendly places in the southwest. Don't have an RV but when I make my travels it is with the dogs.

I would like to get back to Big Bend (in Texas) went there before I had the dogs. Might have to get them used to booties before hiking in the hot summer sun, though.

Sounds like you are traveling at the right time of year!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Denise. Probably the foot booties are a good idea if you can get your little ones to accept them. We found that they were great except when they weren't like when one falls off and then you have 3 or how the velcro seems to always go over the dew claw which will make a doggie blister in time. It's a quandary. Cake does have tender feet but Waki is fine. No idea why. Guess she's just more delicate or she stepped on something. She doesn't like the gravel suddenly and gives it whale eye now so i think she probably got a bruise.

Today we stopped at a lot of out look points with in the Canyon park on the way out to the painted desert so I would also add that there are many good places you can drive and take your dog. i don't know if it's the time of year - since School is in - but there are many busses with folks from other countries - many more than there are americans. I've heard many different languages. I would now surmise that some cultures are not into dogs - at least not pet ones while others are. Be aware that you might get some looks and even some words that aren't english but the meaning is there. If that sort of thing bothers you there's that. If you are like me and find it amusing - here's this whole magnificent canyon and the thing that's being focused on is displeasure of finding a well behaved dog that isn't bothering anyone? Glad I'm not that person.

• Like 2

Great comments on the booties! Coffey shreds his doggie seatbelts, hmmmm .... about booties.

I'm not usually bothered about peoples comments and find it amusing too (which I find has a fun effect on the initiators LOL). That is interesting observation and notation for traveling; thinking about/being aware of contact with other cultures, even as tourists!

THX!

• Like 2

We crossed the painted desert and turned at Tuba city. The land is amazingly beautiful and there are many road side booths where locals can sell their art - they were mostly empty thought and we didn't know why until we got to Tuba City. There was a festival going on and as we passed we were stopped to let crowds of people cross the main road. We had the window down and we listened to some Navajo dancers, pulsing and bouncing to the drumming in tight circle surrounded by masses of onlookers. Behind them a group of women and children were waiting to take the stage. The costumes were amazing and the little ones were already dancing even as they waited for their part to start. Then traffic started again.

Gouldings in Monument Valley is very dog friendly - at least the camping area is. We hiked a small but gorgeous trail of 1 mile behind the campers that skirted the red rocks and got a sneak peak at one of the mittens at sun set. It's quite windy today and the dust seems to add to the color. I did notice that rent an RV is fairly popular. A nice thing about having a base like a camper is that you can turn the air conditioner on and head out on a people only adventure. Tomorrow we will see what the area has to offer.

Waki looks good out here but he always looks like Waki. Cake somehow blends in and changes color no matter if she's in the forrest of Michigan or on the red rocks of Monument Valley. The red sand stone and crumbles seem to be more to Cake's feet's liking. Also there are few stickers. Some but not like in Albuquerque.

I almost forgot - the deer is one of the pee partners at the Grand Canyon camp ground. Just outside the main peopled area we ran into Mountain Lion crossing signs so guess campers are a bucks' best friend.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMGP0457.jpg

IMGP0488.jpg

IMGP0573.jpg

IMGP0591.jpg

IMGP0648.jpg

IMGP0679.jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 5

We took the 17 mile drive it yourself tour of Monument Valley. It took us 3 hours and we took 300 + pictures. It was very relaxing. Imagine being at someones home that really likes and welcomes you just for you. Maybe it was your Grandma or a best friend. That's how this place feels. You can take the dogs with you and stop to take pictures in many many locations. There are little shops people have set up. You can't hike - they don't want anyone turning into an archeological exhibit - on your own. The road is 4 wheel drive worthy. I wouldn't try it in a prius. The Park it's self has accommodations and you can stay in your tent or RV with your dog but it is very open to the wind and sun. Gouldings is within site of the mittens up the road but sheltered from the wind. Goulding also has some trails that include a box canyon and a hidden arch. We were very grateful for that shelter last night as 45 mph gusts came through. Today it is calm and in the low 70's. Perfect weather for taking a guided tour on horse back or in a jeep. The Rent a "RV"s come in many different sized - some look like station wagons with a pop up tent on top. There were half a dozen in the Tribal park. if you have an air conditioned space it would be no problem to get in some people only time and take a longer guided tour. Best to google ahead and figure out a strategy as prices vary wildly and the informed person gets the most. if you come at the full moon there are also moon light tours. The facilities at the tribal park are very nice. Morning seems like the best time to go - the light is GREAT and the tour busses haven't arrived from where ever they come from. The Navajo are very friendly and warm. Everything was very laid back. I did see some things in the reviews of the accommodations at the Tribal park and would surmise that if you run yourself on "Indian Time" you will be happier (in other words relax, have a sense of humor and don't be in a hurry). The speed limit is 15 miles per hour but I bet most people were doing 10. You could take some lawn chairs and sit and look at the view - or take a pic nic lunch - there is one pic nic table at artist point but a tail gate would due. Although afternoon traffic was heavier it would have been easy in the morning to park the car at a turn out and walk the road a little bit just to stretch the legs. It is quite dusty when vehicles pass.

IMGP0676.jpg

IMGP0866.jpg

IMGP0873.jpg

IMGP0729.jpg

IMGP0781.jpg

IMGP0726.jpg

• Like 5

Hidden arch is a short hike from Gouldings camp ground. IMGP0921.jpgIMGP0933.jpg

IMGP1062.jpgIMGP1063 (1).jpgIMGP0995.jpgIMG_0264.jpgView from an empty parking lot across from a small sports arena. Great for sunset viewing. Judging from the cars leaving, the Tribal Park was very crowded. The empty parking lot is the place for quiet viewing of the glorious panorama with K9 friends (and possibly some wandering horses). PS drive time to Monument Valley from the South Rim is between 3 and 3 and a half hours.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 5

Love the way Cake fits into the scenery and Waki is smiling hanging out in the vehicle.

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 3

I really didn't know what to expect at Lake Powell. On the one hand all those guests on The Price is Right seemed really excited to be going to fabulous Lake Powell. On the other hand the lady I spoke to when the on line reservation system wasn't working seemed down right allergic to dogs, rattling off a bunch of rules that included no leaving the dogs unattended ever (one of the glories of an air conditioned camper is the ability to get in some people only time so this was a deal breaker in my mind). So much so that I declined to make the reservaton with her and wrote the area off since only one vendor manages the 3 potential RV parks within Glen Canyon National Park. Then I stumbled on a travel blog written by someone with 2 large, lovable mutts, extolling the wonders of Waheep campground (the place I declined to reserve) and the dog friendliness of the park. So we booked 1 night. Wow it was great. The park is clean, spacious, full of RVers with dogs, the natural views are glorious, there are wide sidewalk trails - miles of it - rabbits (rabbits rabbits everywhere), a road runner and we saw on park ranger. It's very hands off. The entrance is automated - no gate humans and the little store is only open 8-4 (Page AZ is 5 minutes away). Both park wifi and cell are very spotty and slow but with those views and so much to do who cares. There was no list of doggy rules except the obvious, keep your dog on leash, clean up and no excessive noise. You can rent boats and paddle boards and there was an advisory around sharp shells and doggie feet for the marina.

There are many restaurants in town, including an Aggie run BBQ that was excellent. Also there are hiking trails, although these were a bit toasty in the afternoon and I would have preferred to get up early and hike... next time.

The visitor's center at the Dam had real grass - Waki was in heaven. So China, the answer is no, brother Waki is a rock hound but he gets a little home sick for his green grass to roll in. Cake also.

The milky way was out and we would have loved to stay a little longer and have a camp fire but alas we had a long drive in the morning so to bed we went. Very very quiet at night. Next to the amazing pine scent at the Grand Canyon this place smelled the best. Sage and lemon.

The drive to Grand Junction the next day was epic. Absolutely glorious. We stopped in Moab which is on our list for a later time, and spent a little time in Arches. PS now that I know what Gouldings is like forget devil's garden campground in Arches - if you want full hook ups (air conditioning) inside the same red rocks and an easy hike to an arch (2 different arches on different trails) this is the better choice. For one thing you can actually get a reservation and it beats dry camping with the dogs in the desert heat. Plus Monument Valley is IMHO more spectacular and more leisurely than the drive in Arches. The Arches roads are paved but narrow and there's this feeling of pressure from the ample other traffic. There are plenty of turn outs - and plenty of people in them. You can't really get out and walk like you can on the Rez. You'd get run over. That said there are many dog friendly trails at Moab, just perhaps not in the national parks.

IMGP1111.jpg

IMGP1116.jpg

IMGP1153.jpg

IMGP1172.jpg

IMGP1177.jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 2

Wow, what a blast, huh? Gotta love trips like these...they stay with you for a life time.

Sounds like the kids are enjoying themselves. Stunning how the light plays on Cake-Dolly...that is really spectacular.

We really enjoyed our stay in Moab when we were there 2 years ago in September.

c&jarch.jpg

Agreed on the limited potential of dog friendly National Parks but the surrounding areas were really very accommodating to travelers with dogs which was nice.

dogduo.jpg redrocklili.jpg lilipass.jpg

Have fun!

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 3

China I'm really glad to hear that about the Moab area. Grand Junction - Fruitia area was a really pleasant surprise but the National Park - Colorado National Monument - was another - dogs only on paved areas national park and the paved areas were either totally impractical to walk on or not very big. The park it's self was spectacular and I'll post more about the area when I have a better connection. However the area was definitely a surprise and dog friendly. Now I'll log off before I follow the urge to hit my computer with a hammer. Gah the internet has been a bugger this week! More than what I'd expect for remote areas and camping!

• Like 1

Grand Junction / Fruitia was an accidental destination in that we hadn't really thought much when we picked it for a stop. It was just a convenient amount of drive time on our haul back home for a pause to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We didn't know it had Canyon View Park - a mega complex of lushly watered grass (Beep heaven) and over a mile of walking trails past a golf green, soccer field, ball field, tennis, giant dog park, duck pond and more. We went in the early morning and had it practically to ourselves. Then we set out for Colorado National Monument. A drive I'd recommend to anyone. Even though we'd just come from Grand Canyon/ Lake Powell/ monument valley we couldn't stop saying how beautiful it was. The dogs got to walk around the visitor's center but other than that it's really not the place for them to let steam out. Thank you Dog Park. Then we went to the Petco (there's also a Pets Mart) and a really good bakery for people. Fruitia is apparently a mountain bike haven with lots of trails that are also dog friendly. Next time we'll camp at the quiet camp ground at the mouth of the National Park in Fruitia since the place we stayed was noisy and 10 min to the dog park with a river's edge trail is better than 5 minutes and no trails. IMG_0303.jpgIMG_3790.jpgIMGP1192.jpgIMGP1204.jpgIMGP1215.jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 5

Chris and Julie (Chinatola and Mrs. Chinatola)'s trip to dead horse with the fur kids were our inspiration to get off our buttox and finally go visit some of the epic landscapes of the South West. Thank you Waki's Sister's Parents. We ended our Western trip by going up the Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway (how awesome is that? It runs by Moab) to I 70 and heading east towards Denver. speaking of Dinosaurs, there were many things we wanted to do, like stop on the Rez to look at Dinosaur trax but passed up for this trip, due to time constraints. Definitely want to go back - just not sure when because it takes so much time to cross the boring part from michigan to the Front Range.

I-70 is an Epic highway complete with winding canyon passage and gushing snow fed river. There is a bike / walking path along the river that goes for a very very long way. It is also dog friendly. Then we cut down across Veil and Breckenrdge to avoid Denver traffic. There was snow all along the high passage - the snow had thankfully been cleared before we passed with the camper. This was another breath taking highway that ended at Pikes Peak.

We stayed at Pikes Peak RV in Manitou Springs and walked to the Garden of the Gods, which is right behind Pike's Peak RV (out the camp ground gate and 5 minutes up a sidewalk). Both are very dog friendly although I'd only give 3 stars due to the city noise and the broken glass on the trails. We didn't stay in Colorado Springs proper since it has become very crowded (traffic and some camp ground reviews including drunken not so nice neighbors). The area has unfortunately deteriorated, including Garden of the Gods.

In conclusion I'd say the Southwest has some real dog friendly gems. I'd give Grand Canyon the #1 spot with 5 stars but would say all the areas were excellent over all. I'd give 4 to 4.5 stars to all the other places we stopped except Colorado Springs/ Manitou Springs. Also if you can RV or rent and RV you can leave your dog in the air-conditioned comfort and go do people only things. If you just have your car or are using hotels you can't leave your dog. So unless you have a relative in the area or kennel your dog or rent a dog friendly vacation cabin I'd say camping is a grand way to go dog friendly. In fact the only place in Arches you are allowed to leave your pet unattended is in Devil's Garden Campground (which has electricity but that's it).

Colorado Highway IMG_0338.jpgIMG_0324.jpgIMG_3794.jpgIMG_3806.jpg

Garden of the Gods Petroglyph shadows IMGP1307.jpg

Why Pike's Peak RV is awesome, even if the area is not as nice as it once was. IMGP1279.jpgIMGP1263.jpgIMGP1249.jpgIMGP1238.jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1

Julie & I are kind of obsessed with the national parks, we've visited 17 to this point so now we're committed.

Here's the one's that we have visited:

1. Rocky Mountain (CO)

2. Grand Teton (WY)

3. Yellowstone (WY)

4. Olympic (WA)

5. Lassen volcanic (CA)

6. Crater Lake (OR)

7. Yosemite (CA)

8. King’s Canyon (CA)

9. Sequoia (CA)

10. Joshua Tree (CA)

11. Grand Canyon (AZ)

12. Arches (UT)

13. Canyonlands (UT)

14. Volcanoes (HI)

15. Haleakala (HI)

16. Acadia (ME)

17. Glacier (MT)

We have to visit the other 41. (it's amazing when you think about it....there are 58)

We don't typically travel with the dogs since we're limited in vacation time and we need some time away too & things but being dog folks we have noticed that the parks are not as friendly as one might expect to our Fuzzards.

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 3

Epic Report. You're giving me the wanderlust.

I've picked out a photo for D 'o' the Month. I'll contact you.

• Like 4

Allison, It's well worth the 24 hours driving trip over such exciting places as Indiana, Kansas, the Texas Pan Handle and Oklahoma - nothing against those places, we got some darn good BBQ in them and the people are lovely, they just aren't visually arresting. We did drive on historic Route 66 and once you get into the back side of New Mexico the land gets interesting and the people even more so. We had the be all end all of brisket in a little town called Tucumcari (a place where you'd half expect a Bogart character to be hiding in a Rick's Bar). On your side of the continent it would be interesting to drive "west"could be even more interesting. IMGP0098.jpgIMG_0069.jpgIMGP0107.jpgIMGP0108.jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1