Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Anyone Else Have A "lap Dog?"

I think we have "semi" lap dogs - neither one seems to like to have his back feet off the floor/ground, but Bandit likes to lay his top half across both of us when we sit on the cough to watch tv, and believe me, he puts his full weight into it. :)

• Like 2

Tayamni is a lap dog all 54 lbs worth, and Coffey is a snuggle bunny :P

• Like 1

sorry about the duplicates, I'm having a posting sql error .....

Here is my lap dog :rolleyes:

she never wants to move when she is on my lap. I even said "supper" "eat" "food" - no response. (I really did have to get up and feed the cats and dogs :P )

Lapdog.jpg

or maybe she just wanted the chair???? or maybe she just wants the chair.jpg (this is after supper B) )

• Like 5

post-73790-0-13070900-1416799912_thumb.jpg It wouldn't let me edit above: Tayamni had early lap dog inclinations

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 3

I basically lose all feeling in my legs every morning while drinking coffee because Kiva HAS to snuggle down into my lap. Only at the Kitchen table. Otherwise he wants to sit next to me. Pretty darn cute.

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

haha Zeph is all lap dog, he always has to cuddle something living - If I'm not available he will cuddle my Husband or any guest that is over. He tries to snuggle with all the dogs at Doggie Daycare and with all my staff. Love how snuggly he is :)

• Like 3

Snuggly is SO right on....Wyot has to keep getting half on my husband's lap during coffee time, and he gets his hugs and rubs and if I come downstairs, he won't even move, because he wants this snuggle time! After breakfast (sometimes he tries during breakfast, but he knows better, and this is when he goes and hangs behind my hubby's chair, one paw up on the heater....LOL!!! They really do love their cuddles! In the car, he tries to get in front, on my lap while hubby is driving, but I discourage that (saw a fatal accident right in front of my house in December, a few weeks after we got him, and it involved a dog, who unfortunately had to be put down due to a broken spine.. :( ). He settles, but I have to have his favorite toy back in the seat with him. They are lovies!

• Like 3

Tolinka climbs into my lap when he is giving me the ball back as I sit on the ground. An independent boy until HE decides to show affection, then he is ALL over you.....Two Step and Rain nestle up when ever they can...which is all the time. :wub:

• Like 3
Snuggly is SO right on....Wyot has to keep getting half on my husband's lap during coffee time, and he gets his hugs and rubs and if I come downstairs, he won't even move, because he wants this snuggle time! After breakfast (sometimes he tries during breakfast, but he knows better, and this is when he goes and hangs behind my hubby's chair, one paw up on the heater....LOL!!! They really do love their cuddles! In the car, he tries to get in front, on my lap while hubby is driving, but I discourage that (saw a fatal accident right in front of my house in December, a few weeks after we got him, and it involved a dog, who unfortunately had to be put down due to a broken spine.. :( ). He settles, but I have to have his favorite toy back in the seat with him. They are lovies!

Y'all are killing me Zuni IS Not a snuggler,sometimes he gets up and moves to another chair if I sit down, he sleeps by my feet sometimes and likes to be where he can see me but he wouldn't crawl in my lap unless there was a steak there ... I wonder if its a gender thing or just the luck of the draw... I love him but I miss having a cuddly dog .

• Like 6

Kooskie's a cuddler, but my other AIdogs were not. It took me a while to get used to her!

However, my two previous dogs showed their love in other ways that did so melt my heart. When I was sick, they would stay next to me. When I moved or walked here or there, they were with me. They kept with me without a cuddle, leaned on me, watched me, listened without question.

It's a virtual cuddle. :lol:

• Like 6

Ayita is so NOT a cuddler, but like Allison's non-Kooskie dogs, she shows her love in those same other ways. She seems happiest to be near us on her own terms, leaning and/or laying her head on a knee or other body part. The way she looks into my eyes with that "I love you, mom" look is pretty awesome too. From time to time, she will get up close and personal, but not for long. Sometimes when she's hanging out, I can't help myself and go over and give her a big snuggle hug. She is very patient with me, but happier to admire me from afar.

• Like 4

Nakoma is not much of a snuggler, MOST times, either. He doesn't even greet me at the door when I come home (I had to "google" that one up to see what the deal was, haha.... turns out it's nothing to worry about). He'll only greet me if he hears me talk to my daughter first. But most times, he's waiting on the bed, on his back, wagging his tail, waiting for a belly rub... The rascal!

And when we sleep, I swear he tries to push me off the bed. But he usually sleeps next to me, sometimes with one paw touching me. And he is always following me around the house and loves to be petted and played with, of course... just not hugging or sleeping ON me. He is a leaner though, for sure.

Nakoma also isn't too fond of giving me (or anyone) his paw. He'll do it just to be obedient, but he'll quickly pull his paw(s) away. And... he doesn't like to be pet on his head if I'm in front of him and need to reach over him to do so. However, if I'm next to him or behind him, then I can pet his head. He's very peculiar. But still extremely affectionate and loving in his own ways.

• Like 3

Lazy Kona.jpg

Kekona has misunderstood the meaning of lap dog almost from the beginning. She'll cuddle with the best of 'em but she prefers to access the bed (preferably unmade) while still warm and then she'll proceed to 'dig in' to find the best position from which she can appear to be a world class contortionist.

When it's bed time she'll jump up and dig in, on top of the covers this time, and snuggle, moan, growl, gurgle, burp, fart and generally relax and have a grand ol' time. She doesn't really need us there actually.

Then there's The Squint®.

ball obsession.jpg

She prefers cuddling with spherical objects or objects that squeak, beep or otherwise emit noises leading to their domination, subjugation and, eventually, complete destruction

ball obsession2.jpg

ball obsession3.jpg

• Like 5

Hahahahah! The digging in the bed drives me friggin insane!!! Nakoma does that when he gets a new favorite toy! He brings it on the bed and then digs and all the sheets are in a circle on the floor!!!!! There are times when I need to make my bed about ten times a day!!! The rascal!

• Like 3

Thanks for all these great insights..I have since noticed Zuni leaning on me, sitting on my foot and he does snuggle with my hubby (sigh)...I guess I'll have to take what i can get .

• Like 3

NorCal, don't feel like you are losing out. One of my non-snugglers, used to be goofy only with my husband, but with me, he would do the most touching things. If I made a big deal he would withdraw, but if I just quietly accepted, he would persist.

For instance, this dog and I drove across the state quite a bit, several times each year. I would rest my hand on the gear shift as we drove. After a number of times making the 5 hour trip together, he began to rest his paw on top of mine, on the gear shift. It was so quietly touching, that it chokes me up to think of it, even now, years after his death.

You will have your moments and you will not be disappointed. Just wait.

Waiting is hard, just ask your dog. :lol:

I would also suggest, that as the Alpha female, he is showing respect to you and to your husband, choosing not to be too familiar and to not cross some boundary that we don't quite see.

You can initiate some subtle love signals that do not make him uncomfortable: the touch on the shoulder, the quick sounds that are unique to your language. Think of guys that are good friends, but don't get mushy. There is your "in".

• Like 6

Great insight, Alison. This thread started with Kaposia climbing into our laps after breakfast to strongly remind us that it was walk time...a bit bossy on her part, perhaps crossing that boundary of the alpha instead of respecting it. We love that Kaposia is a "cuddle bug" with us, but depending on the situation....is it respect, or are they pushing the envelope on boundaries? It was just so entertaining the first few times she did it....all 40 pounds of her squishing her way into our laps. Doesn't happen any more, she knows the routine now.

• Like 5

Just a few more thoughts; to me so far the hallmark of the AI dog affection is the fact that they ALWAYS want to be with you. They become very, very attached to the family. Kaposia lays on our feet all the time too, but as much as it's a desire for closeness, she does it so we won't be able to go anywhere without her knowing about it. She's always aware where everyone is at all times. This deep attachment is probably one of the reasons Kim interviews prospective owners so carefully. It would be very hard on these dogs to be given up once they belong to your "pack." Kaposia is very good about being left home alone...very good, but think she always wonders why she can't go along sometimes. The funny and intelligent qualities never cease to amaze. Usually if Kaposia wants my attention, she'll put a paw on my arm....unless I've got the iPad...then the paw goes directly on the screen. She's figured out that that will put an immediate stop to what I'm doing. When we travel, she's always in a harness, but she still opens the power windows in the van on her own whenever it pleases her....knows exactly where the button is and pushes it quite precisely. Gotta' love 'em! Gotta' stay one step ahead though, because every so often they will try those limits and boundaries.

• Like 4

When we travel, she's always in a harness, but she still opens the power windows in the van on her own whenever it pleases her....knows exactly where the button is and pushes it quite precisely.

Ah hahahahaha!

• Like 1