Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Introducing Dief!

I like the smile, too. I also really like the one of you crouching next to her.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introducing Dief from Kona and Rowdy! Pronounced "Deef".   She arrived at the beginning of the week, and what a life changer she's been! She is definitely smart, she was already potty trained and si

Just had the next vet visit! 12 weeks and 12.6lbs healthy, happy, and hopefully learning a thing or two each day. She grows like nothing i've ever seen. I'll wake up and her face is changed, i'll come

New Diefy Adventures include: SKIING! Cant find a ski resort desolate enough to let her run free, so I tried backpack. She loves it, I get a hell of a workout, and we got away with it too!... for 2 da

Posted Images

Dief experienced the recording setting snow of Boston this last winter. Its a good thing shes a snow loving dog it or it would have been "ruff" :P . Her thick coat also helped protect her in both the below 0 C temperatures of Boston and the -20 to -25 C she experienced in Canada over christmas. With some Mushers Secret she didnt even need booties. The only thing that was a little rough was being trapped inside during the snow storms cause she had just been spayed. Thus we had an indoor snow day :D to burn off some energy safely.

Only downside to such a snow loving dog, was that she would decide to poop right on top of the 6ft snowbanks.... so id have to shimmy my way up them too!!!

:D Hope you enjoy.

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

• Like 3

Diefs spring and summer has been more eventful and shes been learning alot. Lots of hikes and river exploration in the Canadian rivers. She now recalls consistently enough we can go to the dog park off leash and we work on walking with a leash dragging around the neighborhood. The dog park really does excellent for her energy levels. She needs about 2h of activity a day for her not to be bored and restless (And trouble making), but with the dog park she maybe needs only an extra half hour- hour of activity.

She likes splashing in the rivers but has yet to swim. Any advice for swimming practice?

Also something interesting is that she spins out, running in circles, butt tucked, ears back - we think when she smells coyote urine and other mountain predators. Anyone else have experience with that?

Hope you enjoy the photos! Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

IMG_5528.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

Edited by c.jbeach
  • Like 6

Such a beauty. I don't have a favorite picture because I like them all. She is very photogenic. Thank you so much for the updates.

• Like 1

great shots, thanks for sharing!

She has a beautiful shape. Her face is amazing - don't have to guess what's going on in that brain.

I think someone should write a book on dog dance.

Most of our dogs have been dancers. I've noticed some categories:

There are zoomies, Zoomies can happen with one or more dogs, involve the running at full clip with buttox tucked and many random changes in direction. The eyes and face are relaxed and slightly crazy looking. This can happen at any time. Indoors or out. It may be triggered by a beautiful day, pure joy, the first frosty air or fresh snow fall. Joy of meeting a friend can also trigger it, such as another dog or when master comes home.

Ecstatic ground rubbing, swimming and rolling dance: Can happen in grass and snow. Sand a possibility and carpet in a shop if the shop has a strong smell (like a bike shop). Characterized by rolling, "swimming" and rubbing. Triggers include fresh grass, any grass, snow, deep snow, last patch of melting snow, finishing a walk, moss found on a walk, things that smell good like fox poop or the organs of what ever it was that accidentally met the lawn mower, and swimming in real water (after the swim, when wet).

Romantic dance is triggered by spring and rutt of other animals living in the woods. It consists of the male zooming around the female, butt tucked and popping in the air to show himself off. The male will attempt to mount the female. Sometime the male will also dig a den. Having a young puppy or teen dog seems to stop the romantic dancing (go figure).

Wind in the hair dance, Sometimes a delicious breeze comes along that triggers a sort of head in the air fancy feet dance. Cake does this often on lead. May extend to someone dropped a hot dog on the sidewalk.

You're home or I get to go in the car somewhere dance alone with the other dogs looking on enviously - looks like wind in the hair but there is also a sort of celebratory bucking about.

Those are the dances I've seen.

This spring we've had coyoties very near the house and I sighted a large cat chasing some deer (I called the DNR to see if there were any mountain lion reports in the area. She said we weren't quite on their mapped area - not YET but could I go look for some poop or a dead deer because she'd be very excited to extend her map - yep sure I'll go do that - NOT) - they seem more wary and alert - not dancie, more on edge in that context (but will roll in poop if you don't spot it first). In fact I was pottying Waki & Shiva early that morning and first we flushed 2 deer then we were very surprised to see the same deer running back towards us and there was now a 3rd deer. As they turned away from us I realized the last "deer" had a long tail trailing behind it and an odd head - no snout. Also neither Shiva nor Waki made a sound (both had barked at the flushed deer 5 minutes earlier and would have gone nuts for another dog going after "their deer" on their territory. So I haven't experienced happy dancing with respect to other predators. Maybe someone who has encountered bear or other predators can tell us what alerts to watch for. I'd be interested to know. PS my husband spotted a large animal with a very long, cat like tail going into the woods by the river yesterday morning on his way to work. He thought it was a bob cat. I didn't contradict him (let's just say I'm glad my "friend" has moved on 10 miles down the road and I sure hope it keeps on going).

• Like 5

She is a cutie. What is she weighing?

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought we would share our cycling set up. This allows me to go on long rides without worrying that i left her alone at home!

She seems to enjoy it especially on the down hills when we get speed. She's comfortable too, I have caught her nodding off to sleep at the end of the longer rides.

(Also i do wear a helmet and shoes , this was the test ride :P)

IMG_1874 copy.jpg

IMG_1866 copy.jpg

Edited by c.jbeach
  • Like 2

wow! SHE HAS A GREAT LIFE!!!!!!!!! YOU BOTH (ALL) LOOK HAPPY!!!!!!! (I just caught up on your postings) ahh, it's off to the dog park now for me ..... YEAH!!! and swim park this weekend!

• Like 1

:lol: incredible. Here's where those double jointed hips come in handy.

• Like 1

That is so fun!

• 3 months later...

So Dief has once again be subjected to moving again! 3 times in one year, but she is very adaptable never had any issue. The good news is we have returned to her birthplace, OR! Anyone in the willamette valley?

I think Dief is enjoying the new found adventures. Not much to report just thought I'd share some snaps! Oh and i have just started an instagram. You can bet Dief will be featured more than occasionally. So if anyone wants to see more Dief. you know where to find it! @happapanda

IMG_0034 copy.jpg

IMG_0411 copy.jpg

IMG_0415 copy.jpg

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_5686 copy.jpg

IMG_5736 copy.jpg

IMG_5796 copy.jpg

IMG_5813 copy.jpg

IMG_5830 copy.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• Like 3

She is beautiful! Glad to hear that she has adapted well to the moves. These dogs are remarkable!!!!! :wub:

South Florida would be a good place to have more AI dogs - next time you move - LOL! (hint, hint ..... anyone?)

It seems Texas is getting pretty full, too.

I've been remiss in posting updates on Tayamni (fall litter 2014 Azteca X Jay).

Hope you all are enjoying Oregon :)

I love the tolerant Dief while you headstand and bridge over her. She is a beauty, but of course I am prejudiced. How much does she weigh?

• Like 1

She is a very tolerant dog, but we keep balance. Shell let me know when shes had enough (just lays down and ignores me) :P. Shes at 30lbs.

I love the tolerant Dief while you headstand and bridge over her. She is a beauty, but of course I am prejudiced. How much does she weigh?

• Like 1

Hi, we live 15 miles west of Salem. So, hopefully we can get together some time, perhaps at Keizer dog park or come to ours in Monmouth.

My Hawk is going to be 11 on Christmas day. Most people when they see him think he's between 3 and 5 because of his endless energy. He weighs around 41-42 lbs. He has maintained this weight for most of his life. I call him a lean, mean, fighting machine. His vet calls him their poster child for what dogs should look like.

Lisa and Hawk.

• Like 3

His vet calls him their poster child for what dogs should look like. Lisa and Hawk.

Lisa I love this!