Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a great experience to go down and meet Greg and Kim. The property is amazing and southern Oregon is beautiful. Those dogs live with more room than a lot of my friends!.

Week 9 picture updates. I do clean really.

Riddick is almost a year old now. Here are some pictures from our morning hike the other day.

Posted Images

How old is he ? I thought I had to wait to hike? I would love to be able to tire him out that way!! He is so cute ....

How old is he ? I thought I had to wait to hike? I would love to be able to tire him out that way!! He is so cute ....

Hi NorCal,

I don't know about Riddick, but my pups' had to be restricted socialized (calculated risks) until after fully puppy vaccinated.

This is because I am in South Florida (Broward County) and there are some cases of parvo in dogs every year and a lot of raccoons with rabies down here.

From what I've learned, it depends a lot on your area as to how much risk involved and where the puppy is at in vaccinations, etc.

Socialization is important. Some people are lucky enough to do things earlier than others ... :P

I wish I was in an area that I could have gone on woods/trail walks when Tayamni was a small pup.

My 2 cents is to check with Vets and wildlife depts. in your area. Nothing is foolproof but then you can access risk better and make informed decisions before venturing out! :ph34r:

• Like 1

He is 13 weeks this week. He has had two parvo shots. We do not have a huge issue out here. From my vets advice he is fine to go camping and hiking. The big issue would be a dog park where there is a group Pee Poo area. I watch him on the trails and make sure he does not get into any uncleaned up mess from another dog. People are generally good about that out here. The hike was not to long, 3.5 miles and 500 feet gain. I went with two 5 year old kids so the pace was not fast at all. I get mixed reports on what is good or bad for a young dog with developing joints. I hear never take you dog running then from the same person that agility trailing is great to get started. I took him on my morning hike, trail run this morning too. I only did half though to see how he is. The hike is around 3 miles round trip with 1200 feet gain. I usually do it in around 50 minutes. He loved it and was running next to me like a champ. He was still pulling hard on the leash, which I need to fix, at the end of the hike and running around the house when I got home. I am really curious on others feelings on this matter. I was thinking of doing the half hike with him for a few weeks then stepping it up if he is doing fine.

• Like 3

And on a side note after about the 12 time, not exaggerating, people saying he is a beautiful German Shepard I stopped fighting and just went with it. I would not have made it to far on the hike if I corrected anymore people.

• Like 3

Hi Rick,

That sounds like a plan to me (you said you would gradually get him up to your full hike?) - ESPECIALLY if Riddick isn't tired when you get home - that could be a clue he can go farther, but I don't know what the difference in altitude is AND you might want to check out the topic I linked below.

It is a forum article and Allison gives a lot of good advice and things to think about. I hope it helps.

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3683&hl=health&do=findComment&comment=36134

With the two my sister & I have, they seem like they can keep going forever and then when we leave the Dog Park they are laid out flat in the back seat on the ride home!

This year, the oppressive humidity came on quick instead of building and both dogs are taking a bit to acclimate (in their own ways) so I have to keep a more watchful eye.

When Coffey was about 18 weeks old? he was running in the Big Dog park because he was a bit over energetic for the small dog even though he was still small.

He also never had the hunched hind quarter "puppy" run. Since we got him at 8 weeks he has stretched to a full out run.

Well, while running in the bigger space, he was running fast. He tripped in a small hole in the ground (front left paw) went for a tumble and got up and kept on going.

When he came back around and slowed up we noticed he had started limping. We rested him for a few days and then noticed the left shoulder bone was sticking out a bit more and he started walking more on his toes sometimes on that foot. I could feel cartilage or ligament in between shoulder blade and leg where it's not stretched on the other shoulder.

So, warm compresses, more rest for 2 weeks and then slowly letting him back to exercise and water therapy. The ligament or cartilage "stretch" is still there and he's over a year old now. It doesn't pain him but he still gets a limp every now and then depending on the terrain and when he gets tired.

The Vet can't really explain it except to say Coffey might have arthritis when he gets older. :wacko:

My sister was accident prone as a child and Coffey has followed in her foot steps ... oh, how our dogs are like us ....

Coffey still once in a while does this when he gets excited on the leash - jumps up and spins like a marlin breaching on a fishing line - well he landed in front of me while I was stepping my foot onto the ground (I was in stride) and I stepped on the pup.

He didn't act hurt at all and there was no swelling when I looked the foot over (everything looked in the right spot, he showed no tenderness) so we went in to park instead of going home. Later, again after a few days, front his right foot swelled. Movement restriction AGAIN. Coffey now has a probably dislocated toe and the front right foot is a little wider than his other tight round paws. It looks like he's giving the middle finger sometimes now. He never limped on it and nothing wrong with the bones themselves.

He digs holes in the yard perfectly fine. He uses that foot too because when he dug a narrow hole I could see the toe nail mark from that middle toe.

I am so glad he has reached a year old. I know they still grow until 2 yrs but the 1 year mark was a milestone! :o

Coffey is very double jointed, more so than Tayamni was as a puppy. He still does pretzel contortions while playing with other dogs.

Tayamni has always done the run, lay and stalk, run and repeat - so she conserves her energy and can play at the park longer than Coffey.

They both do the drop and roll when running & playing with bigger heavier dogs.

Also, like frisbee, people use the hand held ball chuckers and some younger dogs have gotten patella problems. There are some posts on the site (going back to 2013?)

I feel really bad still about landing on Coffey (who landed in front of me) but I still feel bad it happened from me.

That's why I'm replying, it's my examples of how active and over active these pups can be.

And on a side note after about the 12 time, not exaggerating, people saying he is a beautiful German Shepard I stopped fighting and just went with it. I would not have made it to far on the hike if I corrected anymore people.

LOL! Know what you mean! Coffey gets mistaken all the time! until German Shepard pups are next to him and they are younger and bigger!

Now we get - are they German Shepard mixes? :blink:

Either that or Coffey is a "wolf fox" and Tayamni is a coyote or a dingo.

I've got to get some of the AI Dog cards made up - I never remember to ......

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear of the health issues you have run into. Thanks for the reply and info. I have been talking to my wife and will probably limit our hike to about 2 miles and slow the running untill he is at least six months. It is pretty steep with little drops so we are moving flat out. My bigger hikes that I used to do with my old pup were between 5 to 12 miles with around 3 - 4K gain. Problem is I can tell he would do the 1200 gain no problem but I am scared to death of the long term health issues that can arise from the running down and on flats. I need to get him not to pull. This is a sticking point question is it worse being a bull against the harness or him setting the pace. Right now we are even speed on the down hill and flat. When I do it I try to stop now and then and pause for water. If he sits then I let him until he is ready to go. I try to ask myself if he would be running this much at a dog park and if I feel he would then it should be OK.

• Like 2

Thanks Rickstefani.

Coffey is healthy, we just had some hiccups and he now has some swagger to his walking stride sometimes. You would never know he ever had injuries at a run. He is fast and has full range of motion.

Oh the leash pulling - both Tayamni and Coffey pulled (in different ways) Tayamni was the steady pull and Coffey the excitement - pull, leap and twist.

I imagine Riddick as a steady puller .... I like the plan you & your wife decided on.

Oh, have you noticed at all when Riddick takes a nap and when he wakes up he's grown again? talk about growing in one's sleep!

I am in the same boat when it comes to walking further and further. I can go for miles but she gets tired out between 1-2 miles. Some days she doesn't want to go in after 2 miles, some days she lays in the grass after half a mile hahaha.

We're in florida though so the weather is pretty unforgiving when it comes to heat and humidity. I always bring a pop up bowl with me and some water. The other day I was walking her and about 1.5 miles into it she laid down in the grass like "ok I'm done" so i let her lay there gave her water and we took a break. Then I picked her up thinking she might be dehydrated, she let me do that for about 200 ft then wiggled to be put down. I put her down and what did she do? Lay in the grass. hahaha

• Like 1

Tayamni doesn't always drink water to cool off - at least not when she was a puppy.

At the dog park she jumps in the doggy pool to lay down and cool and then off running again.

Even if Chepi drinks water, maybe if you have enough you can wet her paw pads and rib cage (on bottom between legs and threw to abdomen?

I wonder if a cloth you wet with water would work?????

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A long time sense an update. Riddick is growing fast. At his last vet appointment he was 32.5 lbs at 15 weeks. He love to hike but he really loves to run down hill. Other than broken pots and small items he finally chewed his first cell phone. My S6 Edge+. Broke the display and touch screen. The worst part is I have no way to get photos from a few trips off of it.

Smaller.jpg

Edited by Rickstefani
  • Like 4

Always amazed at the beauty of these dogs! Everyone keep those photos coming! Rick...we all clean...and clean...and clean, but actually my heart sings when I see those little paw prints on the floor because I'm blessed with such a great little companion spirit in my A.I. Dog. You just can't beat this:

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Always amazed at the beauty of these dogs! Everyone keep those photos coming! Rick...we all clean...and clean...and clean, but actually my heart sings when I see those little paw prints on the floor because I'm blessed with such a great little companion spirit in my A.I. Dog. You just can't beat this:

Agreed! They are great companions. My boy finally made it all the way up to the ledge with me this morning.

Post.jpg

• Like 7

what a GREAT photo of him!!!!!

• Like 1

I love the seriousness of his expression.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness, what a big boy. He sure is beautiful. I weighed Arya last week and she was 21.6 lbs @ 19 weeks. She was 20 weeks on Saturday. I can hardly believe we have had her for 3 months already. She is such a love, very playful and energetic. We too have fought the chewing, but for the most part, sticks to her toys now. We have been consistent with the re-directing as well as the stern NO. She's a smart girl and knows what is hers and what is not.

• Like 5

6 months they slow down and then at 1 year they are full size from my last boy? After 2 year full weight. Chepi sounds big for a female. There is a weight chart online that says he will be 62.5 lbs full size which is big for an Indian dog. I should have known from when I picked him up and Greg grabbed his paws and told me so.

• Like 2

Tayamni is 2 yrs old and 54 lbs. Coffey at 15.5 months is 35.8 lbs. He's just a little guy! Tayamni could stand to lose 2 pounds around the middle yet she is still very defined muscle in her legs! Someone at the dog park yesterday said she is getting a Jaylo behind (thick from behind and she can do the walk! - LOL!)

• Like 1