Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Lola's Updates

Tod, can you elaborate on how you use the crate for the WAIT command? Also, is WAIT the same as STAY?

Thanks

I use "Wait", it doesn't mean "stay". I taught it in the car - open the door, hold the dogs back (using the least restraint possible) saying "wait...wait...wait.. OK!" and let them jump out. Little party when they land on the ground - "Good wait!" They wait for food, to go through doors, off kerbs....you get the idea. It makes sense to use the crate, I didn't think of it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tod, can you elaborate on how you use the crate for the WAIT command? Also, is WAIT the same as STAY?

Thanks

Sure can!

Wait to us means don't cross a threshold. Stay means don't move. So in a wait I could care less if they move but not move forward.

To teach wait using the crate would look like this. Open the crate door just a little bit and as the pup tries to come out shut the door in its face and say WAIT. Don't worry about bumping his nose with the door if it happens, the dog will back up. You want to be sure to close the door before it gets it's nose past the door opening. Only after a couple of times of having the door shut in its face the dog should understand what you are asking of it. So then you would say WAIT just as you are opening the door and when it waits praise it with a GOOD WAIT and then RELEASE the dog to come to you. Consistency is very important here. Never let it out with out making it wait and then released. When you praise it for waiting it should not interpret that as a release. If it does your praise is too much. You would need to tone it down. Release to me means you are free to do what you want.

I use WAIT at my front door (Door is wide open) as I load my truck up and when I'm ready for the dogs I release them and it's a race to see who gets in the truck first. I use it when exiting the truck as well. At my house we load and unload without a leash. Anywhere else they would be leashed but still applies.

I hope that makes sense, if not let me know.

Thanks for the good advice! I started using the crate more, and immediately saw some benefits. For one, his little bladder could last longer; the first night I got a five hour sleep, and then another three, and that has continued. Thanks for that! He settled down to sleep faster, too.

Also, it made me think about what Kim has been telling me about not spoiling them. I realized those first days, that he was already running my life! Now, I've got my life back, and he is fitting in with us, and our routine.

It was subtle, the way he took over, and I now see that it's not the toys, or play, or food, but the giving up of one's routine that starts them on the road to being a spoiled dog.

Thank you one and all. This is going to make a huge difference when he's a teen.

Lola is 10 weeks old now.

This weekend, we took Lola to a place on the Smith river called Middle Fork Ranch (about 30-45min. SW of Kim's on 199). Although we are worried about her exposure with only one set of shots, we decided the exposure and socialization (they have three dogs there) made it worth the risk. Plus, we had the cabin reserved long before we had Lola.

She had the time of her life. She went on many walks and had many play sessions with Vivian (the Basset Hound in the photo). I would say she did a lot of growing on this trip, and she has improved her behavior 100%. She is really becoming "our dog".

Lola did get into some salmon skin the other dogs dragged up from the river. We are a little worried about it, and we are keeping a close eye on her. The woman at the ranch told us we were probably safe with the skin, and that it's the blood that is really harmful. Anyone have any experience with dogs and raw salmon?

10_01_25_lola_10_weeks_1.jpg

10_01_25_lola_10_weeks.jpg

Lola is 10 weeks old now.

This weekend, we took Lola to a place on the Smith river called Middle Fork Ranch (about 30-45min. SW of Kim's on 199). Although we are worried about her exposure with only one set of shots, we decided the exposure and socialization (they have three dogs there) made it worth the risk. Plus, we had the cabin reserved long before we had Lola.

She had the time of her life. She went on many walks and had many play sessions with Vivian (the Basset Hound in the photo). I would say she did a lot of growing on this trip, and she has improved her behavior 100%. She is really becoming "our dog".

Lola did get into some salmon skin the other dogs dragged up from the river. We are a little worried about it, and we are keeping a close eye on her. The woman at the ranch told us we were probably safe with the skin, and that it's the blood that is really harmful. Anyone have any experience with dogs and raw salmon?

Jerry

I won't go into the hazard of the raw salmon here but she is too young for it. Our experience with our oldest male wasn't happy.

Judy K

Kim warns against "Salmon Fever". Spring is really the time for that, but do watch her. It is the time when the Salmon swim up to breed, and then die. Perhaps you have missed that time?

Anyway, it sounds like a great vacation. Kim also says that you need to get them following you while they are puppies. Sounds like you took advantage of that.

Hello to your family.

Wow! Lola is twice as big as our pup!

Kim warns against "Salmon Fever". Spring is really the time for that, but do watch her. It is the time when the Salmon swim up to breed, and then die. Perhaps you have missed that time?

Anyway, it sounds like a great vacation. Kim also says that you need to get them following you while they are puppies. Sounds like you took advantage of that.

Hello to your family.

The salmon run from Oct. to Dec. on the Smith, so there were plenty of morsels. We kept Lola on a leash most of the time, but she still found some skin. If she gets sick, I ma told antibiotics should do the trick.

Yes Lola is huge. She was huge when we got her, and she is still growing like a weed. Dos that mean she will be a big dog? or is she just developing fast?

I think it means she is developing fast, but I guess we'll see.

I worry a lot about the dogs getting into salmon on the creek when they spawn. The bad news for the salmon is that they haven't made it all the way up to our part of Bear Creek in the last four years, but it is good news for the dogs. I was told it was specifically the spawning fish, and the blood. I guess it doesn't bother the bears too much, though.

Spawning season is well over now.

Jerry, I think we must forget how they mellow when they get older. When Danza was a pup, I thought "Why did Kim give me such a devil?" but she has really settled down in the last year. She is still pretty devilish when she is outside and off-leash - she turns into a different dog. But the really aloof bratty dog that moved in with us has been replaced by a remarkable animal who is very very sweet and loving (but not shy.) I could not have imagined it 18 months ago, although I did know she'd be well-trained. And her intractable, difficult behavior has turned into clownishness. She is highly entertaining.

Karen, you are so right. In the last 10 days, Lola has made giant steps. She is totally mellowing out. She has started to snuggle up and lick to us instead of bite. At first, I think Lola hated us for taking her away from her mother which we literally did. We didn't have the advantage of rescuing her from the airplane. Now, I think she has Stockholm Syndrome. And she is becoming very sweet and good.

Lola is now 11 weeks old and 13.5 lb. In celebration of her getting her second set of shots, we took Lola on a walk around the neighborhood. I can't believe how well she did on the leash. Possibly better than my last dog ever did.

Every day she is bigger; they do grow like weeds don't they.

Here are some recent photos.

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0337.jpg

DSCN0349.jpg

Whoa! Jerry, she is gorgeous!

I am laughing that you are past the bitey stage, because we have just entered it. I look at the cuts on my hands, and it's no big deal for me, but I know for a young girl, it would hurt, and be difficult.

We look forward to seeing you on the other side!

Whoa! Jerry, she is gorgeous!

I am laughing that you are past the bitey stage, because we have just entered it. I look at the cuts on my hands, and it's no big deal for me, but I know for a young girl, it would hurt, and be difficult.

We look forward to seeing you on the other side!

Well, we are not exactly past the bitey stage. There's just a little balance now. She is sweet, and she will play with the toys she is supposed to play with for periods of time. She is capable of cuddle sessions, but the teeth still come out when she's excited.

but the teeth still come out when she's excited.

LOL, that doesn't go away all at once. Danza still wants to bite when she is worked up; she's learned how to do it, and she never bites anyone but me. It's not biting, though, she just wants to put her teeth on me. I don't think it's playing if her mouth isn't involved.

OH yes the biting stage we are full blown especially when Mal get roudy its like out of control and what ever I do do not hold him and try to calm him down growl bites wiggles i AM EXHAUSTED talking about it . I should wiegh about 2 pounds by know between chasing after him up the stairs which I put up a gate it sits on a step so I do not have Lola 's trick haha he torments the ohte r dogs and loves to be outside which I am more than glad to put him out there Snake has to be out there with him he follows me even in the middle of the night when I know Mal has done his business I will leave the two run around for a hwile gives me a break I might get my dishes done . Allison I laughed about tring to catch him when hre does not want to come in It snowed here over the week end not much 2 inches if that but mal loved it but I had to chase him down in my slippers not fun .he has mastered the hiding places in the yard following snake around .

Lola is only 3 pounds heavier than Malachi I checked his hieght about 12 inches at shoulders I sware his feet grew alot he is taking after Mom I will post post pics tomorrow forgot my camer today my computer is down at home .

Well, we are not exactly past the bitey stage. There's just a little balance now. She is sweet, and she will play with the toys she is supposed to play with for periods of time. She is capable of cuddle sessions, but the teeth still come out when she's excited.
In the last 10 days, Lola has made giant steps. She is totally mellowing out. And she is becoming very sweet and good.

Lola is now 11 weeks old and 13.5 lb. In celebration of her getting her second set of shots, we took Lola on a walk around the neighborhood. I can't believe how well she did on the leash. Possibly better than my last dog ever did.

HA! If you are feeling like using the word "sweet" to describe your dog at 11 weeks, you are way ahead of where we were. It took us months to get there - she was a wild thing. I think Lola is going to be a total sweetie. No cigarettes and leather jackets in her future.

HA! If you are feeling like using the word "sweet" to describe your dog at 11 weeks, you are way ahead of where we were. It took us months to get there - she was a wild thing. I think Lola is going to be a total sweetie. No cigarettes and leather jackets in her future.

Don't get me wrong, she is a wild thing, and a mischievous one at that. She's especially bitey in the morning and early evening. At any time, she will steal our shoes, cloths, and most favorably, the cat toys. She stealthily takes them under the couch for systematic destruction. Luckily, we keep a close eye on her, and the destruction factor has been low. But in the late morning and afternoons, the sweetness comes out, and she will come to us and snuggle up, lick us, and tell us she loves us in her own special way.

Edited by Jerry

Hi All!!!

Biting....ugh...we are having that issue a little too!!! Chhaya is getting better...the raw bones seem to help alot....put them in the fridge when she isn't chewing on them and get them out when she starts to bite. We say "no bite" them give her the bones and say "there". This seems to be working good for us. The cat Annie is another matter...the two of them bite each other till they either meow or cry....I think that Annie is taking the brunt of it all...she is such a good girl though...she rolls Chhaya when she gets out of hand Bwahahaha...the two of them jump on each other and roll and wrestle around like crazy and chase each other thru the house...it's hilarous!!!! One day Chhaya skidded about 5 feet into the wall of our living room after missing Annie!!! Wish I had that video taped Bwahahaha. Might have won something on America's Home Videos for that one Bwahahaha!!! Love every minute of it...but Linda I'm beat too!!!! I can't relate...it's hard to get things done!!! We have our cuddle times too...later in the evening Chhaya likes to cuddle on the couch love her hugs and kisses!!!

OH yes the biting stage we are full blown especially when Mal get roudy its like out of control and what ever I do do not hold him and try to calm him down growl bites wiggles i AM EXHAUSTED talking about it . I should wiegh about 2 pounds by know between chasing after him up the stairs which I put up a gate it sits on a step so I do not have Lola 's trick haha he torments the ohte r dogs and loves to be outside which I am more than glad to put him out there Snake has to be out there with him he follows me even in the middle of the night when I know Mal has done his business I will leave the two run around for a hwile gives me a break I might get my dishes done . Allison I laughed about tring to catch him when hre does not want to come in It snowed here over the week end not much 2 inches if that but mal loved it but I had to chase him down in my slippers not fun .he has mastered the hiding places in the yard following snake around .

Lola is only 3 pounds heavier than Malachi I checked his hieght about 12 inches at shoulders I sware his feet grew alot he is taking after Mom I will post post pics tomorrow forgot my camer today my computer is down at home .

Hello to your family.

We have a very sick puppy. :(

We have been worried for days now by the sporadic diarrhea (bloody on one occasion). Yesterday, she had very little apatite, and this morning, she was extremely lethargic and warm to the touch. I got her into a vet (not our usual one) this morning.

Because of Lola's swollen lymph nodes and 104 fever, the vet made a preliminary diagnoses of SALMON POISONING. They are still working on the fecal sample.

They are keeping Lola all day, and giving her IV fluids and antibiotics.

The vet was amazed at how tough Lola is. She said "I can't believe she is still waging her tail, we have another dog with salmon poisoning in the office right now, and he's close to death".

The expectation is that she will be fine with maybe some stained teeth from the tetracycline.

Edited by Jerry

We have been worried for days now by the sporadic diarrhea (bloody on one occasion). Yesterday, she had very little apatite, and this morning, she was extremely lethargic and warm to the touch. I got her into a vet (not our usual one) this morning.

Because of Lola's swollen lymph nodes and 104 fever, the vet made a preliminary diagnoses of SALMON POISONING. They are still working on the fecal sample.

The vet was amazed at how tough Lola is. She said "I can't believe she is still waging her tail, we have another dog with salmon poisoning in the office right now, and he's close to death".

The expectation is that she will be fine with maybe some stained teeth from the tetracycline.

OH Jerry my prayers are with all of you poor little thing I always worry about Mal; picking everything up and eating before I can get to him I do not need a vet bill because something stuck in his intestin that happen to a friend of mind pup he ate a sewing needle noe that neddle is worth 1000,00 everyone please watch your baby's

Oh, I'm so sorry! That's awful, you must be worried sick.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Hi Jerry! That's why I spoke about the raw salmon the other day. Our first AID, Willie, had salmon poisoning. He was extremely sick. Keep us posted. All the more reason to keep them home and away from other dogs and other things until all immunizations are complete. Yes, they are tougher than other puppies BUT they are still puppies - just like Kim advises!

Judy K in MI

Hi Jerry! That's why I spoke about the raw salmon the other day. Our first AID, Willie, had salmon poisoning. He was extremely sick. Keep us posted. All the more reason to keep them home and away from other dogs and other things until all immunizations are complete. Yes, they are tougher than other puppies BUT they are still puppies - just like Kim advises!

Judy K in MI

Well, unfortunately, there is no vaccine for salmon poisoning, except salmon poisoning. Once a dog gets it, they don't get it again. the vet i saw today told me the people at the Hupa reservation here in far Northern California give their 4-6 month old puppies quarter size chunks of salmon so they build up an immunity to it. I cant imagine they do this knowing they will have to shell out $400, so they must have a cheaper cure.

lola was on leash at the time, and the source was an old piece of skin that was unrecognizable as salmon, but the woman who's house we were at knew what it was.

the vet just talked to Linnea and told her the fecal sample turned up negative for salmon flukes, but that they were continuing treatment for it. Linnea insisted on a Parvo test, so we'll see what that turns out.

Linnea insisted on a Parvo test, so we'll see what that turns out.

OK, negative on the Parvo. thank goodness.

Boy, I just hope Lola's recent calm submissive sweetness isn't entirely do to her sickness.

I've been doing some reading on Salmon poisoning.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientEd/salmon.aspx

Lola had all the symptoms except for vomiting. the article also said that 90% of dog die after 14 days of eating the fish if not treated. that would be tomorrow.