Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Titer Tests - Dr. Jean Dodds

Just sharing for those who have or are considering a Titer Test for best determining Vaccinations.

It was recommended to me that a Titer Test (there are several) for WAKA' would be a reliable way in which to best determine her Vaccine needs. So I had the combination Titer Test performed for Hepatitis, Parvovirus, and Distemper. The results were mixed. She tested very strong antibodies for Hepatitis and strong antibodies for Parvovirus but weak antibodies for Distemper.

So I wanted to have her Vaccinated for just Distemper so as NOT to OVER Vaccinate her. Well, getting a Vaccine for just Distemper is a costly special order Vaccine where the combination Vaccine for Hep/Parvovirus/Distemper is readily available and less costly. I reluctantly chose the readily available combination Vaccine which kind of defeated the whole impetus in NOT OVER Vaccinating her.

Have your own experience to Share???

• Like 3

Kaposia goes to a holistic vet who does the titers in order not to over vaccinate. In July at her regular check up her titers for parvo, hepatitis and distemper were sufficient that she did not need the boosters/re-vacs. There is a veterinarian professor at U.W. Wisconsin at Madison who is doing research to prove that the rabies vaccination also provides much longer immunity than 3 years in hopes of changing the laws that require routine rabies vaccination. If the titers are high enough, why re-vaccinate? I can appreciate not going vet bill poor also. The titers are not exactly inexpensive either. Faced with the choice you had, I'd probably have done the same thing and reluctantly accepted the combination vacs. Hopefully next time around all of Waka's titers will be up in the range where there won't be a need to do a repeat. Kaposia is now 18 months old, and I'm wondering what her titers will show from year to year from here on in. It's an interesting concept...wish they did titers for little humans rather than bombarding them with boosters just because it fits the FDA/AMA/Big Pharma/CDC schedule!

Edited by LakeGirl
  • Like 1

I titered Tamarack for Distemper/Parvo this year and results showed he still had immunity and did not require the vaccine again.

I did some research prior to having it done and found that the cheapest way was to have my vet draw the blood sample (which they did quite willingly) and then I took it home and mailed it out to Dr Jean Dodds at Hemopet via the instructions on this site: http://www.hemopet.org/hemolife-diagnostics/titer-testing.html

It costs $52 to titer for distemper/parvo this way... much cheaper than the estimates I got from vets. Results came back in a matter of days if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

Yikes LakeGirl!!! I can't imagine that Vet bill! Even when I took Koda and Chhaya both it wasn't that much...now there were times with Koda's health issues it was a different matter but just a check up for 2 of them was half that for me...

• Like 1

Here's a photo of Kaposia's vet bill:

That is about what my bill would be down in South Florida. I see your bill includes a yr supply of heartworm pills and the SNAP test done at a yr? as well as the regular stuff.

Vets are about the same $ down here (except low cost vets - but they still get you adding costs or don't do everything). The trick is finding the one right the animal for us.

• Like 1

What is the cost for titer test?

I don't remember exactly. It was in The high $70's I believe. It would have been cheaper to give Tayamni her last set of puppy shots. I was trying to not over do it if she didn't need and ended up spending more money.

It's amazing how this works out. Kind of like how it costs more to eat healthy!

• Like 1