Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting.

*****I AM NOT A VET. PLEASE ASK YOUR VET AND DETERMINE YOUR OWN PLAN FOR PUPPY PRTECTION.

IT SEEMS TO VARY BY AREA. I AM JUST WRITING THIS TO HELP WITH GENERAL INFORMATION.*******

PLEASE ANYONE ON THE FORUM, IF I WROTE SOMETHING INCORRECT OR SOMETHING SHOULD BE ADDED - PLEASE DO.

THAT IS HOW I LEARN. THANKS!

My limited knowledge of parvo is that it is a virus and it can be quickly deadly in puppies.

Symptoms: Vomiting, Diarrhea, lack of appetite/anorexia, fever. One strain can affect the heart.

Puppies don't have any immunity, heck the vaccinations from my understanding aren't 100% guarantee but it will reduce the severity if an adult dog contacts parvo. Puppies don't have full immunity until a few weeks after the third (final) puppy vaccine.

It is so deadly in young puppies because they haven't received the full vaccinations yet AND by the time a symptom is noticed the puppy may be extremely dehydrated already. With puppies small body - dehydration, fever and inability to intake/keep protein and fluids - well - downhill fast.

Parvo is highly contagious. It is spread either from contact with an infected dog or contact with feces from an infected dog. Parvo can be transmitted if a dog steps on feces, or if it accidently gets on shoes. Parvo is not killed by cold weather from what I read, it takes about 30 days after ground warms up for the parvo virus if t is alive in soil to die off.

Bleach and water seem to be the only solution that can kill the virus on surfaces. Bleach will kill the grass but better than having parvo in the ground waiting for a ride (only if have an infected dog poop in yard).

Puppy socialization is important - SAFE puppy socialization, especially. So please find out what your local Vet recommends, what Kim recommends (when you get the call ...), and what other AID people in your area have done as precautions .... my humble opinion / 2 cents.

I haven't raised a puppy in about 20 years and my family raised 2 puppies 6 years ago. So it's been a while and I live in a different area now. I've been asking on the site because I've not raised a puppy with an adult dog in the home before and I need to weigh all risks/benefits. I have already decided that the adult dog will not being going to the dog park (once puppy arrives) until the puppy has full immunity and can start going to the dog park also.

Hope this helps you, at least a starting point?

Denise

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you so much for your kind words about the forum community. It has been a labor of many people over many years, and it really makes us happy to see that it is useful. I remember trying to expla

Some ways to savor the wait: 1) It makes time go more slowly. So it's like getting MORE time. 2) No dark o'clock minus negative and snowing puppy poop time because it's STILL SNOWING. Only sleep for

Please note: Please, Kim has been over loaded with emails, about 5 per day, from our excited, eager, prospective AIdog companions.....   We all know how difficult it is to plan for the summer va

Posted Images

*****I AM NOT A VET. PLEASE ASK YOUR VET AND DETERMINE YOUR OWN PLAN FOR PUPPY PRTECTION.

IT SEEMS TO VARY BY AREA. I AM JUST WRITING THIS TO HELP WITH GENERAL INFORMATION.*******

PLEASE ANYONE ON THE FORUM, IF I WROTE SOMETHING INCORRECT OR SOMETHING SHOULD BE ADDED - PLEASE DO.

THAT IS HOW I LEARN. THANKS!

My limited knowledge of parvo is that it is a virus and it can be quickly deadly in puppies.

Symptoms: Vomiting, Diarrhea, lack of appetite/anorexia, fever. One strain can affect the heart.

Puppies don't have any immunity, heck the vaccinations from my understanding aren't 100% guarantee but it will reduce the severity if an adult dog contacts parvo. Puppies don't have full immunity until a few weeks after the third (final) puppy vaccine.

It is so deadly in young puppies because they haven't received the full vaccinations yet AND by the time a symptom is noticed the puppy may be extremely dehydrated already. With puppies small body - dehydration, fever and inability to intake/keep protein and fluids - well - downhill fast.

Parvo is highly contagious. It is spread either from contact with an infected dog or contact with feces from an infected dog. Parvo can be transmitted if a dog steps on feces, or if it accidently gets on shoes. Parvo is not killed by cold weather from what I read, it takes about 30 days after ground warms up for the parvo virus if t is alive in soil to die off.

Bleach and water seem to be the only solution that can kill the virus on surfaces. Bleach will kill the grass but better than having parvo in the ground waiting for a ride (only if have an infected dog poop in yard).

Puppy socialization is important - SAFE puppy socialization, especially. So please find out what your local Vet recommends, what Kim recommends (when you get the call ...), and what other AID people in your area have done as precautions .... my humble opinion / 2 cents.

I haven't raised a puppy in about 20 years and my family raised 2 puppies 6 years ago. So it's been a while and I live in a different area now. I've been asking on the site because I've not raised a puppy with an adult dog in the home before and I need to weigh all risks/benefits. I have already decided that the adult dog will not being going to the dog park (once puppy arrives) until the puppy has full immunity and can start going to the dog park also.

Hope this helps you, at least a starting point?

Denise

this is a big help to me, thank you. I'll make the appropriate connections with new vets once we're moved to CA and if my pup comes while we are still in Ohio, I have a great vet here to make his recommendations plus what's been posted on this site for precautions. Thank you again.

-Deb

• Like 1

As Star simply stated.....

Use good judgement - and err on the side of paranoia until such time as previous advisors' time window has passed.

I would use this advise for anything to do with your pup from exposure to the outside world, to running and jumping etc. Well said Star.

• Like 3