Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Updates On The Trailer Life

Happy New Year to all! It's been almost 3 months since we closed on the house, and moved into our 30 foot trailer. We have had challenges and problems for sure, but overall, surviving!

Kitchee and Wyot have settled into a routine, and know what is expected of them now. They sleep on the couch in the slide out portion (giving us a wider section in the middle of 2 more feet)....not a peep except to stretch and do the doggie shake and resettle back on their "bed" all night. We leave the trailer in the freezing winter cold and go 30 feet into the main house of our host to wash dishes (which I gather in a bucket), and shower and do general toiletries in their bathroom. They also have generously allowed me to move my herbal work space in their not often used "parlor" (it's an old farmhouse, renovated and has its nooks and crannies)...so, I can "walk" to work, LOL! The dogs stay in their outdoor pen with igloo and watch the house- a job they take seriously- and of course, make lots of noise! One goes up on the igloo, the other goes down and around, then in..endless...but sometimes the howls do come when they have had enough...well, Wyot, really. He lets Kitchee nip, chase and paw at him, but reaches a tolerance level of no more, and wants out.

We have woods to roam in, a field to run in, with lots of pear trees , which Kitchee thinks are his own, as he jumps up to grab branches, and looks like a dog on springs, while Wyot goes amongst the frozen milkweed plants and sniffs everything in sight, marking his territory. Then comes the chasing game on a grander scale, with me egging them on and running as well to make things more challenging. Kitchee is a stick retriever and frisbee king, while Wyot loves to sniff and run over things as graceful as a greyhound...They LOVE it! They know schedules...time to eat, time to go out...and when I say go home, they run right to the door of the trailer, waiting for me to come and open the door. When we leave for extended periods to go shopping, etc...we unfold the extra large crate, load it with chew toys and the two of them (yes, they both fit, though I was worried the first few times we did this) stay in there together quite nicely! We leave music on for them, and water, of course. If we didn't do this, they'd chew up the trailer- as happened the first time we naively thought they'd be good...... (a portion of the wood on the benches were chewed and eaten!!!)

I am, however, pleased to announce, that FINALLY, we have broken ground and found a mason who started excavation yesterday, and the forms for concrete have been set up today...with the pour happening on Monday, weather permitting!!! Fingers toes and everything else crossed that we continue so we can finally go up the mountain and be in our new home by spring!!!

Kitchee turned one December 20th, and soon, he will have been with us for a whole year. Amazing how time flies!

• Like 6

It sounds like heaven! Pictures!

• Like 2
It sounds like heaven! Pictures!

When I can upload them from my phone.....and hopefully the files won't be too big, LOL!

Glad things are coming along. These dogs really do adapt well to different circumstances!

I would love to have woods and field to roam the dogs in.

Very excited to see your progress on house etc. Glad you can still work on your herbs.

Living vicariously through your posts! :wub:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Here are some photos of Kitchee and Wyot:

kittyanddoc1.jpg kittyanddoc2.jpg

I love this one:

kittyanddoc3.jpg

And this one, you know they can see their future will be bright.

kittyanddoc4.jpg

• Like 3