Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Xochitl Updates

try the more reply options button, bottom right to post pics:)

I've tried that...but I will try again. Thank you!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is Aztec and pronounced "Soh-chee". Or, if you want to put the "L stop", "Soh-cheel".   She is going through quite the leggy phase right now and I am excited to let her run full speed once she i

I'll keep her updates and pictures over here in case people are wondering how she is doing.   This week should be 12/13 weeks and she is weighing in at about 17lbs. I'm thinking she should plateau

I'm just going to keep adding pictures here.    

Posted Images

Waka' is definitely Kaposia's brother! Still a flight risk (fences necessary) FAST, and yes, the harness is far better than attaching leash to collar. We too, use a long retractable leash for walks, and everybody's happy! Credit for the photo goes to the owner of MeiHi Yip Yip, it was taken on a play date.

Glad to hear that Zeph is not the only one out of his litter that is still a flight risk. He just runs like a dingbat and doesn't realize where/what he's doing lol

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Xochitl is almost 7 months old now and recently got spayed! We're about to send off her registration papers and photos and I can't wait to see her family line. :)

Weight: 32 lbs

Height: 19.5 in @ withers

She now has a "marble eye" that is half green and half blue - which I notice that Waka has the same-ish! We're just about to start some 1 on 1 training with a person who specializes in primitive dogs (is training a Xolo, a Carolina Pariah Dog, and a Thai Ridgeback) and has met an AIDog before. She just doesn't do well when there are other pups around and she is so, SO willful. She refuses to sit without a treat and she will avoid eye contact with us when we have her sit before coming inside. Even with a treat to "look at me" she will pretend we aren't talking. Thus, the trainer.

She had her first off-leash experience at Secret Beach here in Austin. I'll give that experience 5/10, but at least she didn't run away? She accidentally plopped fully in the water and I have to say that watching her swim is the most hilarious thing in the entire world. Not graceful - but I'm glad that she was a good sport about it! Her anxiety in the truck has gone way down - like a switch was flipped so we now take her everywhere.

I love my little family and she comes and wakes me up every morning with a nose in my face and a wagging tail. Annoying as all hell but I'm so, so happy to have her as my alarm clock. How can you be mad at that face?

He hair is staying short so I assume she is going to continue looking more like Shiloh with his sleek, athletic look. It is crazy that Zola looks so different than her in that she is super furry. We got a couple "She looks like a coyote!" comments this past weekend, which has me SUPER worried so her public garb now has her in bright colors.

...and I think that is all to report right now! :)

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.51.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.52.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.52.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.52.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.40 PM.png

• Like 8

Oh, there are some great photos, there; the 4th one and the last one. I love her regal look in the fourth pic, but in the last one she looks wise and knowing, very sentient. She looks like a loving friend.

• Like 3

How beautiful she is!!! Hard to say what is a favorite out of all the photos...although the last one where you see her calm side. All our dogs, I think look stoic when they adopt this stance. :wub: Wyot is just a few weeks behind Xochitil (he's going to be 7 months on the 11th of May). It is amazing to look at their progress and growth! I love Xochitl's colors..and her eyes!!

• Like 1

Good luck with the training!

Tayamni didn't look me in the eye either and still doesn't sometimes. She will look around me and as an adult will look at me when at a sit or stay, or when I am not picking up on her subtle mental telepathy clues she would like to go outside then she looks into me and I really feel her tryinig to jedi communicate. so weird. She is very independent and yet a great "nanny" dog and submissive when greeting most other dogs.

When we were in group puppy thru adult training classes she wouldn't look at me when I looked at her yet the trainer told me she was focusing on me when I wasn't looking.

I still wonder if she was showing me respect or submissiveness in dog language as a puppy. She really speaks dog language well (I didn't teach it to her!) I watch it in her interactions at the dog park.

I wonder if Xochitl is communicating as she knows how. Let us know how it goes with the specialized trainer :)

• Like 1

I wonder if the parents of the pups make a difference in how they develop personalities and how they react to different situations? Reading about all of your experiences, all the different pup parents is so interesting. Depends if there are children in the house, other pets (cat or dog), socialization, work situation, crate training, etc., as well, I'm sure.

I am amazed every day at the total attention and devotion Wyot has to either one of us. He always has direct eye contact , except when he knows he has done something he shouldn't....he loves his hugs and cuddles, and knows when these come- in the morning as we have coffee, anytime we come home after we've been out and he was at home, and at night, while on the couch, watching TV.

I am with him at home all day, usually, and he follows me from room to room, and loves to lay wherever I am. If I walk around the house, it's funny to watch him looking at me, saying "will you make up your mind where you're gonna be, so I can lay down already???

He is obviously still a pup, and wants to play, but after a few tries in the morning, he knows to chill. I take him out for potty runs (not as often as you would think, as I feed him mostly raw food), and then twice a day, I take him on long walks in the woods, up the fields (we have three levels, and we walk up these steep hillsides to beautiful plateaus).

I choose a toy (different one each time) when I'M READY to play ( I was reading I have to establish playtimes, not him, otherwise he will be in charge, and then it gets out of control). I also choose certain times to give him treats (the bones/bully sticks/antlers etc.), and that is usually when I sit down at the computer to do some work. The treat of a kong filled with peanut butter and treats worked great during hubby's rushing back and forth to get out the door to work! (NO MORE HEARING NO WYOT...STOP WYOT...OFF WYOT) He doesn't nip, jump or follow.

Now, when he does decide he wants to take charge of something, I take away the object if he is being bossy....and ignore him. He gets it, and after a time or two, he behaves. The exercise seems to settle him and sets up behavior for the rest of the day.....when he does start to jump up and nip (not nasty, just because he wants his way, to play, or go this way, not that), I immediately turn my back to him. If he keeps doing it, I keep turning away, ignoring him, basically, just staying in the same spot, turning my back to him without a word or reaction. I was SO surprised, because the first time I did this, after three attempts, HE SAT DOWN by himself, and waited for me to turn around and look at him! Now it works in just one try.

We also socialized him from the get go. Went to people's houses (without other pets), traveled with him from day 1, so he jumps into the car, ready for adventure, and now he has finally stopped trying to climb into the front seat, and stays put in the back- just like you said, Kuschel, it's like a switch went off....now he will stay put, but for safety's sake with the new seatbelt lead that will attach to his new harness.

Good luck with the trainer! I'm sure it will be an eye opener, and Xochitil will respond quickly (after all, how very smart are our dogs!!!!) :)

Edited by KittynDoc

I immediately turn my back to him. If he keeps doing it, I keep turning away, ignoring him, basically, just staying in the same spot, turning my back to him without a word or reaction. I was SO surprised, because the first time I did this, after three attempts, HE SAT DOWN by himself, and waited for me to turn around and look at him! Now it works in just one try.

Yes!

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

It has been a while!

Xochitl is the following:

Withers: 20.5"

Weight: 35 (Lean as all hell.)

Her color continues to change (like all AIDogs).

Loves: To eat mud, to eat mud that tastes like BBQ, to try and eat toads, sticks, chatting with you and head butting you when wanting to play.

Her training is going well but when there is any distraction, she doesn't listen too well.

She is becoming more of a snuggle bug as she gets older.

We're still working on being mouthy. It makes me mad.

Here are some pictures. I love her so deeply (and I was meh about female dogs). I can't wait to get our new house so we can put in a deposit for a little brother.

Also - one thing we learned - Shaun (hubby) and her share a birthday. If that wasn't meant to be, I'm not sure what is.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.34.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.34.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.34.24 PM.png

Edited by Kuschel
  • Like 5

I LOVE the pics of Xochitil! You can see her personality shining through.What a beauty, and oh the changing colors! Wyot is very lean as well, very, very agile and amazing when running through the woods, jumping so easily over rocks and tree stumps, etc. I think I finally have uploaded a pic of my guy, in the car, being VERY vigilant of oncoming cars, which he will chase! This is the ONLY habit that makes me upset, and I am trying hard to stop him...imagine an hour of non stop jumping up and slamming into the back headrest, tail wagging and little happy half barks...

IMG_4625.JPG (don't know how to right this pic...)

Here he is, king of the back deck, observing birds, and his personal favorite, chipmunks...

IMG_4645.JPG

Edited by KittynDoc
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

So our babe is about to turn 1 here in 19 days. I am feeling much more emotional about it than I thought - because my, how a year just flies by. I can't imagine my life without her.

Things are crazy over here in the Kuschel household. We're about to purchase a new house sooner than we had intended (we're still looking), which means that we may be getting in line for her little (alpha) brother sooner than I thought as well! With a yard, she will finally have someone to keep her occupied.

Our Xochitl is pushing 40lbs, 20.5 at the withers, and suuuuper long and lean. Her training has been going so well - she gets compliments with how well behaved she is when we are out and about. That doesn't mean she doesn't have anxiety, but I'm glad we are all working together to understand.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from recently:

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.43.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.43.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.39 PM.png

• Like 6

Oh, Happy soon to be Birthday, Xochitl!! Wyot is approaching that mark too, and I still call him "baby" and "little boy", lol!! I LOVE the picture of her head over the table...that is a look I too, know well. What a beautiful pup she is, and much luck and congrats when you do find a home, and a baby brother for Xochitl.

• Like 2

What I wouldn't give to get her and Rune in a field together! Can never get over how similar they look.

That would be super awesome. It would be pretty interesting to get a really good look at how the males and females differ.

- @Nessa - I would love to see you sooner than later - are you planning something this way? Right now we're not planning anything that way with the dog in tow.

• 2 months later...

A year has come and gone and Shaun and I find ourselves with the ability to purchase a house in Austin... so we did. And it is perfection. It backs up to a creek and most of the neighborhood is without gates. We're building a dog run, but the trails around the house and the neighbors don't mind pups meandering through.

For the longest time we never had a job where we could afford a place here and just thought we would be priced out eventually - but things changed, we hustled, and we found ourselves our perfect place within city limits. If you want to check it out, head HERE.

But our pup is starting to settle. She is still a wild little thing that I think will settle over time, but she definitely needs someone to run and play with - so we're going to try get a puppy as soon as I can sell my scooter and Burning Man is over (September). A boy. An alpha. I hope to God more chill than she is.

But here she is - the love of our lives. She is 15 months-ish, and 37lbs (lean and fast!) - she is starting to ​finally​ snuggle up with us and show her softer side. She simultaneously makes my heart leap with joy and drive me insane. If you have one of these pups, you understand. I will never own another breed. Challenging and satisfying. Quick and intelligent. When she nibbles a bit too hard and I yelp, she jumps into my lap and wraps her neck around mind and "arooooooos" me. I love her so.

Here are some recent-ish pics.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.46.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.47.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.54.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.47.26 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.47.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.48.09 PM.png

Dog pic 3.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.48.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.49.13 PM.png

Edited by Kuschel
  • Like 8

Thank you for the update. Well said!...describes our experience with Kaposia to a "T". If Xochitl is anything like our pup (now almost 3 years old) she will just become more and more intuitive and affectionate and cuddly. There's just nothing like it.

• Like 4

LOVE our dogs!!! They really all are some version or another of everything you said! Xochitil is absolutely beautiful!!

• Like 2

I probably missed it, but would you please tell us again how to pronounce Xochitl?

Yeah, that is a good dog yard! Congratulations. Hard to fit that under a tree. You must be thrilled.

Love the twisted sleeping pic with the legs up. It is obviously a stressful, hard life for Xochitl. :lol:

• Like 1