Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Anyone Else Have A "lap Dog?"

Someone brought the nasty soccer ball in (with Scott) and slept with it in his tent last night. Must be genetic. Waki has his treasures he stores in the tent. Cake sneaks in there during the day but leaves the treasures intact. She has a little pile on the bed (by our feet) so no digging lest it disturb & dislodge the treasure trove. These are the only two places in the house where a clean fresh toy stays relatively unmolested vs total destruction in neutral territory.

Waki was a cuddle bug / bed bug until Cake. He gave that all up for her. Since then his style is more subtile. He'll come ask and still enjoys a good fuss made over him but it's not like it was. It's been interesting to experience.

• Like 3

Tayamni is the lap dog but not on the bed. She used to keep a paw on me but prefers move to her own temperpedic. Maybe I toss too much in my sleep??? When she was smaller she stayed on the bed all night with a paw on me. I miss that.

When I get home I settle in and then I need to give her attention. I have found that sets the mood for the night. If I miss giving her attention and perform too many other tasks first while she is waiting patiently then the window passes and she does not always sit on the couch with me. I think she takes it as a queue I want space????

If I have trouble sleeping and am moving around during the night she will give up her sleep (heck she can catch up during the day - and does bed contortions like Kekona) anyway she follows me from bedroom to living room and back and forth as many times as it takes until I get to sleep. She takes care of me in her own way! :wub:

Coffey on the other hand is still a snuggler just like Kim said. In the living room he will lay on your feet or snuggle up next to you on the couch but never on you like Tayamni the lap dog.

YET, he LOVES to snuggle in on beds. It's like waking up an wondering when this new appendage grew on you. He will also sometimes sleep on the bed with his head on the pillow when no one else is on the bed or if it is an odd time he doesn't want to snuggle and push you into the wall - that's how much the snuggle is!!!! He will lie down on his side with his front legs tucked to him and his back legs stretched down and put his head on the pillow like he sees people sleeping. Imitiation is the sincerest for of flattery? LOL!

They are both different in their ways of showing affection and I love it all!

• Like 1

She used to keep a paw on me but prefers move to her own temperpedic.

Tell us more. There is a temperpedic dog bed?

Yes - they call them memory foam and orthopedic (if not Temperpedic branded). She has a head rest and everything! I'll take a picture of it ....

I guess since I have a Temperpedic mattress topper she decided she likes that too.

Awwwww, I have a mini-me! :wub:

• Like 2

Mini-MEEEEE! Yes, please give us a photo.

• Like 1

I always look longingly at the dog beds, but I think I want them more than Wyot does, LOL!!! Anytime I get him anything (yes, even a temperpedic, for we get samples from manufacturers, seeing as my hubby is a chiropractor), he may look innocent at first, and enjoy it, but then, there goes the stuffing!!!!!!! Bits and pieces of foam, leaving a trail......he got a hold of a nerf football yesterday, which I keep around for our kids and grandkids, and he ripped apart one half of it, pieces ALL over the floor- he chose the neon green side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, he is comfy enough on the floor, it seems. I caught him in a picture finally, sleeping at the bottom of the stairs, one paw up on the first step. He loves my rug in the sun room, and chooses to nap there, but besides his crate (which has a towel in it that he loves to sleep on), his all time favorite is in the sunshine, by the kitchen sliders. :):rolleyes:

• Like 3

Lying on the kitchen floor in the sunshine...that is my one and only "spirit dog" connection with our deceased Golden Retriever, Nugget, the wonderful dog that helped us raise our kids. Kaposia lays in exactly the same spot, in exactly the same way in the sunshine. Gives a little tug at my heart.....makes me smile.

• Like 2

Lying on the kitchen floor in the sunshine...that is my one and only "spirit dog" connection with our deceased Golden Retriever, Nugget, the wonderful dog that helped us raise our kids. Kaposia lays in exactly the same spot, in exactly the same way in the sunshine. Gives a little tug at my heart.....makes me smile.

I hear you...it's.a bittersweet feeling for sure. Nugget lives on, and Kaposia is making sure you know it! :wub:

• Like 2

Xochitl is definitely not a snuggler - so the rare moments that she does, I am in heaven. But she does that thing where you sit next to her and she moves away to get more comfortable on the couch. But she snuggles with me much more than hubby and it drives him a little crazy, even though you can tell that she loves him so. Just different relationships?

There was one time I cried with how frustrated I was and she climbed on my and wrapped her neck around mine and gently "arooooo"ed into my ear. I nearly lost it then.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

She doesn't always like being photographed .... maybe she thinks it is evidence. Then sometimes she is posing pretty. I don't get it. Ahhh, it makes her mysterious! ;)

She lays on her bed both ways, sometimes with her head on the headrest and sometimes curled opposite.

Notice in the pics her little monkey toy - she's had one like this since I got her (@ 9 wks old). Coffey destroyed the original so we replaced it.

IMG_20170407_0001222.jpgIMG_20170420_1022247.jpg

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1