Dog Food

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Stacia

Stacia

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, hiking, camping, climbing, and running.

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Dog Food Advisor is a great site for picking out the most nutritious food. It does the label reading for you. It has a wealth of info on dog nutrition, raw food, recalls, and rates all the dog food brands. I'm an avid label reader and prefer to buy only from companies that treat animals ethically and this site hits them all.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I think a couple of people posted about Innova, a brand I have loved for years, and I think you should know it was recently bought out by Proctor and Gamble. Not Good...

http://www.aplus-fli...kanuba-iams.htm

Also, not trying to step on toes but only provide info....IAMS is boycotted for animal cruelty. It's also a Proctor and Gamble company.

http://www.iamscruelty.com

It really pisses me off when good companies sell to crap companies and the crap companies gain huge profits hiding behind a name that everyone associates with good. It bothers me even more that good companies would even sell out to crap companies...but I guess if you have one company and get a million dollar proposal, you're set.

#22 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Wow I will check that out about Innova being bought out by Proctor and Gamble...not good I agree!!!
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#23 Chickasaw 5-OH

Chickasaw 5-OH

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Chickasaw 5-OH
I am so glad that you are someone who likes to gather info. There is so much out there that it's hard to know what is true....and I agree we all can learn something new. This is why I'm glad we have the forum...we all have different resources which I think is very helpful! You will be a WONDERFUL Mommy!!!

Thank you so much!!!!! :) You have no idea how much that means to me.

#24 Chickasaw 5-OH

Chickasaw 5-OH

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

[quote name='Stacia' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:22 PM' post='13484']
Dog Food Advisor is a great site for picking out the most nutritious food. It does the label reading for you. It has a wealth of info on dog nutrition, raw food, recalls, and rates all the dog food brands.

Also, not trying to step on toes but only provide info....IAMS is boycotted for animal cruelty. It's also a Proctor and Gamble company.

[url="http://www.iamscruelty.com"]http://www.iamscruelty.com[/url]

I just checked out the iamscruelty.com link and was disgusted. There is actually a video that claims to show dogs laying in piles with chunks of meat taken from their legs. I was too afraid to actually watch the video because I knew I would not handle that well. I don't do animal torture. Something else I found on that site confirmed (as much as anything on the internet can be confirmed) that Iams did actually give kickbacks to shelters to gain their support. That is exactly what I was afraid of. Here is the actual wording.

"For years, Iams has exploited animal shelters’ lack of funds by providing them with money and/or free or discounted food, essentially buying the support of these organizations, which would most likely refuse any association with Iams if they knew about the company’s gruesome experiments on animals."

Wow. Sometimes I hate being right. I mean, maybe this person is just guessing like I was, but they sound convincing.

#25 Roots

Roots

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, hiking, just about any type of exercise and vintage Italian scooters.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the great posts!...I've read all the advice and i am now researching the links B)

Edited by Roots, 13 July 2010 - 08:14 AM.

#26 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

There are a ton of food threads on this board - we really should gather them up and give them their own little home. All of this has been covered in one place or another already.

I can't believe a web site is telling you not to give your dog egg, meat, or bone. What do they think dogs lived on for tens of thousands of years before food came in the magic bag? The meat and bones are the last thing the dogs go for after the organs are gone, but still, they do eat them.
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#27 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3286 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

great point Karen....
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#28 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7690 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

My thoughts too. Dog food started in the 50s.

There is parrot kibble, too. I often hear that I am not supposed to feed my Parrot fruits and vegetables.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#29 DebiSlaughter

DebiSlaughter

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

I just read that Innova was bought out by Proctor and Gamble and this disheartens me completely as they are well known for their cruelty to animals. It p**ses me off when something like this happens. It won't be long before (although they claim they won't)they start using inferior products in the Natura/Innova products. I'm going to buy Soul a BIG bag today and it looks like I'll be driving the 49 miles to get Candidae soon! ARGH
"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children" - Unknown

#30 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

There is parrot kibble, too. I often hear that I am not supposed to feed my Parrot fruits and vegetables.

ROFLMAO

*gasping for breath*
How DID animals survive without humans to take care of them and Feed them??

More ROFL

Bless you Allison- you Made My Day!
Not sure why this struck me as SO funny, but Thank you!
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#31 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

I'm going to buy Soul a BIG bag today and it looks like I'll be driving the 49 miles to get Candidae soon! ARGH

Debi, won't it be better to have it delivered? Maybe a little more expensive, but not when you consider the time and environmental impact. The UPS truck is coming by your house anyway. B)
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza

#32 Stacia

Stacia

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, hiking, camping, climbing, and running.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

I've heard the same with the parrot food. My African Grey gets a little Harrison's kibble and Missing Link to cover the bases, like a multivitamin, but his main staple is fresh "real" food daily. On the back of the kibble, and the website, it says not to supplement with other food. It's ridiculous.

For years I worked for a veterinary surgeon, and in the course of visiting clinics throughout western Washington I got to know a lot of veterinarians and hear their take on nutrition. There were two general attitudes regarding feeding. The first is that processed food is best, and this comes about because vets don't learn much about nutrition in vet school but hear about it from pet food representatives. It's just like physicians and drug manufacturers....physicians don't do the research into the drugs, they hear what the drug reps have to say, which is incredibly biased of course. The second is that whole food is best but people can't be responsible to feed animals everything they need so it's better to recommend they pour X into a bowl twice a day. I only met two veterinarians who recommended raw food, and both practiced holistic medicine. Fortunately, as natural and raw food is becoming more popular, vets are changing their tune. But as a consumer, if you want to really know what's best for your pet you have to do much of your own research.

#33 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

Was telling a friend about our discussion of kibble/raw/appropriate foods.
She laughed and said (with Huge dose of sarcasm in her voice)
"Oh, no, I don't feed my children anything but kibble. That way I know they are getting all the nutrition they need, and it is easy for me- and Far superior to that Meat and Produce stuff you buy in the grocery store. My son likes his crunchy, but Michaela won't eat hers unless I pour some warm water over it."

(yes she feeds her dog 'real food' as well, not kibble)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#34 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7690 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Haha.. Very good, and so to the point. I was raised on "Space Food Sticks" , and chocolate "Instant Breakfast " drink. Not too much different, except less fiber.

Stacia, another bird in the community! Very fun for us. Harrison's, that's the one the vets around here are pushing. And it's okay, but not very fun, and as all parrot owners know, the more fun the food, the more engaged is the bird.

Corn on the cob, now that is a very funny vegetable. Ask any parrot.

One of the things about parrots is that they love, and I mean it is important to them on a very basic level, to share food. I can give her apple, but to give her some bites of my apple, is even better. She will laugh and giggle while we eat together. It seems she relishes every bite.

Perhaps it is less important to the dogs, but I do see that sharing some of what we are having makes them extremely happy, and has a binding effect on the pack.

With all my animal friends, if they are eating badly, then so am I. They keep me on the better path.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#35 DebiSlaughter

DebiSlaughter

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

Debi, won't it be better to have it delivered? Maybe a little more expensive, but not when you consider the time and environmental impact. The UPS truck is coming by your house anyway. :P

Bwahahaha, yes the UPS man is a regular at our house and Soul is his best friend (he brings him treats all the time...he's addicted, wouldn't be surprised if he gets one of his own...)! I went to our local feed store to pick up the last large bag of "real" Innova and he informed me he is not going to carry it once P & G takes over the packaging. He wrote a very nasty letter to P & G and was as disappointed as I was. He replaced Innova with....Candiae!!! YES! And he gave me 5 lbs of free samples of the GF and regular mixed so I could wean Soul into it.

Funniest thing...mixed 1/4 of the Candiae with Soul's food yesterday. He stopped, sniffed, took a mouthful and ran to living room. He ate all the Innova and left the Candaie! Did this three times. I left the Can. lying on the floor. About an hour later, he went and scarfed it up!! I swear, that dog is more human than I am!

Edited by Debi, 19 July 2010 - 05:59 AM.

"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children" - Unknown

#36 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7690 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

I swear, that dog is more human than I am!

Hahahaha..

--David Dunning

#37 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

He ate all the Innova and left the Candaie! Did this three times. I left the Can. lying on the floor. About an hour later, he went and scarfed it up!!

Wow, I've never had a fussy dog. That's impressive.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza

#38 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3286 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

:P :) :o :) mine haven't been fussy either :lol: unless one pees :lol: in the other bowl :lol: :lol:
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#39 Chickasaw 5-OH

Chickasaw 5-OH

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

:Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: mine haven't been fussy either :Bwahahaha: unless one pees :Bwahahaha: in the other bowl :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha:

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :P Gross!!!!!

#40 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

ROFL!!!
Well, it's good to know they have SOME standards.. :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users