Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Welcome Home Haru

Hello All,

Finally checking in with Haru, the little girl from the Goldie x Cisco litter. It's been a rough few days, hence the delay in my posting. For starters, I was sooooo glad that I always keep ear protection in my car. I drove to Houston on Wednesday to pick up this little girl and little did I know that it was not a pup but a banshee in the crate disguised as a puppy. It was an hour and a half for the trip home and she cried/screamed for the first 30 minutes of it. She's lucky she's a cute little banshee.

Got her home and after being crated all day she was ready to be up... At 11:30 at night. Took a lot of walking around, playing, and more before she was finally tuckered out and ready to sleep. I did not sleep very much at all. This is like having a 2 year old toddler.

Up nice and early Thursday morning and out to the bathroom and back in for some breakfast. The potty training is not going as well as I had hoped, she is being a stubborn one not wanting to pee on the pad I have out for her. She would much prefer the carpet or outside. Unfortunately outside has a lot of dogs around and I'm very worried about parvo. She's been getting her feet wiped down as soon as she comes inside. The day was a combination of me tiring her out so we could both nap, and being up supervising her.

Friday was about the same aside from having her first vet check up. She was the best little girl for the vet. She never tried to bite, even when the fecal sample was taken because I couldn't get her to poop before. During the whole thing she snuggled up against me and let them do what they needed to. All in all it went great, but we go back in next week for the first round of vaccinations. She hasn't been eating well and they said while we could do the vaccines now, with her lack of appetite it would be better to wait until next week. Thankfully they have a puppy package that covers all the vaccines and appointment costs for a much cheaper rate so I won't have to pay when going back in. Finally got some good sleep last night; my boyfriend took over for me when I got home and let me pass out.

Today has been a much better day since I got a lot of sleep. We have had a pretty quiet afternoon with her being a little doll until right now while I'm typing this. She has earned herself a timeout session. She refuses to chew on the toys I've been giving her, even after constant redirection. After a few good bites of those puppy teeth, she got put in timeout until she can settle down.

It's been a rough few days, but during the times that she's not acting how I described above, she an angel. My lap is her favorite place to be. She loves nothing more than to come sit in it and when she's tired fall asleep to me petting her, or by my side, or on my feet. It really is adorable and she has some of the cutest rabbit feet poses.

Tonight she will have her first play session with some other dogs that I know for sure are vaccinated. Pictures of that to come. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Edited by Samie
  • Like 8

Hi Samie & welcome Haru!

Read your post with interest.

First, congrats! What a beauty! I had to laugh (commiserate) with the banshee wail. What I discovered today - on our visit to vet was my little girl quieted right down once I moved her to front seat. But on the trip yesterday to Canadian Tire (an eight/nine minute car drive) it was banshee time.

Have you tried a little bit of lukewarm goat's milk added to her kibble? Mine loves it & has gained weight.

Keep us posted. Yes, it is like having a newborn all over again. How did I forget ?! LOL

• Like 5

Welcome, Haru!!! I also read with interest...oh my, yes, the screeching...isn't it lucky they are sooooo very cute? They are cuddly, and wonderful. I too wish the potty training was a bit better, but I think this is due to the second dog distraction thing...I too slept so very little the first night, due to the fact that he did not stop wailing and screeshing ALL night. A bit of a tussle just now, but, it seems all quiet after Wyot gave him a barking through the grate of his crate. Now he is laying right outside of it. Can't wait to hear more updates!!

Going to crash now...

• Like 3

OMG, those eyes!!! His cute little face...almost fox like. They truly are adorable. Now that I am awake, having coffee, and it is the 4th day, I feel a routine, and so do the dogs...Kitchee went in with a little protest last night, but Wyot set him straight...he slept ALL night, alleluia!!!!! :)

Now...the potty training.... we, shall see how today goes. So far, so good. I think the howling and screeching of all our dogs are because they are used to being outside, in a pack, and need to adjust to their new environments and families!

Hope everyone else had a good night, and may the screeching banshees all settle very soon!

PS- same here- wherever we go, people comment and are SO very interested, impressed at the pup and the AI breed. They say they've never seen such a well adjusted pup!

• Like 3

Great shots of your new pup. Have fun getting to know each other. It's such a fun journey.

• Like 2

She is beautiful. I promise it will be worth it in the long run! Our Boone was a difficult puppy and he is the best dog ever now. We can't even believe such a defiant puppy became such a loving and loyal companion. Remember that a squirt bottle set to stream is your best friend. It's the quickest way to communicate unacceptable behavior!

• Like 5

How is the feeding going? Thinking of you. As soon as I go in the kitchen Khya is magically in there, sits down and checks her bowl. And watches every move. Or gives one loud yap. Like, "I'm here, don't you see me?"

LOL

• Like 4

Hey everyone,

Just started back to work today; which oddly enough gives me more time to write updates. It will be nice to have a break from constant Mom patrol during the day. Don't worry, my boyfriend Matt is with Haru so she will not be left unattended; we work offset hours so this is working out great for us.

How is the feeding going? Thinking of you. As soon as I go in the kitchen Khya is magically in there, sits down and checks her bowl. And watches every move. Or gives one loud yap. Like, "I'm here, don't you see me?"

LOL

The feeding is going much better and she too has learned to come in and sit by my feet waiting for me to mix up her food. This has reinforced her sit VERY well and is now at a 85% accuracy rate even without treats. When we went to the vet last week, they gave me some super easy to digest wet food that I've been mixing into her fourth scoop of kibble at every feeding. I believe of all the puppies born in the two litter, I got the smallest of them all. The vet weighed her in at 5.92 pounds on Friday.

Also, forgot to mention this originally, the vet told me to completely cut out the bully sticks and chews like that until she got to eating consistently. He thought it was hard on her digestion on top of her being in the stage of switching to a new food. He recommended nylabones only for right now. I took up all the bully sticks and gullets, but did leave her an antler since it doesn't shred easily and doesn't have all the flavor to it. Still yummy, just not as much. Thinking about soaking it in some chicken broth, but may wait a little bit longer on that.

She is beautiful. I promise it will be worth it in the long run! Our Boone was a difficult puppy and he is the best dog ever now. We can't even believe such a defiant puppy became such a loving and loyal companion. Remember that a squirt bottle set to stream is your best friend. It's the quickest way to communicate unacceptable behavior!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It's very trying. I haven't found anything she's more interested in chewing on than me -_- I will have to go get a squirt bottle today and give that a try. She gets really riled up and ends up in timeout a lot. I don't want that to create a bad relationship with the kennel though. I make sure to use separate words, and even have a second kennel just for timeout (cat carrier because she's that small :lol: ) but don't want it to become the first resort when she's getting rowdy and talking back. I think the "tough love" is tougher on me than it is on her.

We had our first playdate last night. Matt, Haru, and I went over to our friend's house that have a huge backyard and two small dogs that were perfect for Haru. She was very shy at first because Lexie is a bit younger and was hyper excited to see the new puppy. We quarantined her of for a little bit and let Haru get used Brody, a much calmer old man. She took to him right away since he didn't really want anything to do with her :wub:

She still didn't sleep the whole night though :unsure: Oh well, peanut bladders. It will come with time.

Edited by Samie
  • Like 4

Samie, how wonderful that Haru had a play date! We had a dinner to go to at friends' last night, and they just have a cat. We took Kitchee, but not Wyot- I was worried, but also confident that he'd be good with it- I said to watch the house and we'll be back...and lo and behold, he was so happy as usual when we came back home, and took them for their final potty before bed (it was 10 pm).

It is truly trying these first couple of weeks of adjustment, but then it will be a distant memory, and you will marvel at how smart and responsive these pups are! You are doing great....

Wyot was trained in a week with the potty- knew to sit at the door to be let out, and even rang a bell I hung on it. Kitchee...well, let's say the puddles still appear every now and then, but the poop part he's got down pat. It's me who has to be vigilant so he can "get" it. 10 minutes after eating or drinking...out we go, and I keep repeating pee (which is the first thing he does right away, and I praise him), and then I repeat "poop" (I feel silly, but both dogs get what that means, because they actually go in tandem, LOL!!!) My challenge is not the sleeping/crying anymore (thank goodness!!!), it is Wyot eating (which has gotten a bit better, but he's still sensitive, I guess), and Kitchee learning to ask to go out to pee (this little guy drinks A LOT of water!)

The joy of these dogs far outweighs the new mommy/daddy syndrome, and tough love does go a long way. I personally don't time out right now, because Kitchee screeches, and then I don't want him to learn to not like his or any other crate- so I use the water bottle squirt and an emphatic NO...he is at the point where just a NO redirects him, as he looks me in the eye and backs up or goes the other way. He does know the squirt bottle, because he drops whatever it is and knows it is a no-no. But repeat, repeat repeat until you are so tired, LOL! Wyot helps a little by barking at him once or twice to let him know who's boss...

It does get easier.. :)

• Like 3

Good News Everyone!

Haru slept all the way through the night for not just one, but TWO nights!!! This is awesome. Now that I'm back at work, the routine has gotten much better.

When I wake up, my cat #smokeythewondergoat (for those that would like to follow on instagram) gets fed first. Then Haru is let out of her kennel and goes to pee on her grass patch. I took Felix's advice on the grass over peepads potty training and was able to find some hydroponic sod so that I don't have to worry about bugs in the house. It makes life a lot easier. She still won't poop on it, but in the mornings she relieves herself while I get her food ready. She'll eat a little and then we go for our walk.

With her new exercise pen she is settling in better and it's a load off of me and Matt. We move the pen into the living room with us at night where she can be part of what we are doing, and into the kitchen during the day on the linoleum. She barked a lot at first, but I think her experience with the crate helped her get used to it quickly. She still barks some, but not as much. She just got a new fox that she loves and has the best time playing with. It's both crinkly and squeeky so it keeps her full interest at least for a little bit.

I haven't mentioned until this post, but I was having problems with my cat adjusting to her. She got sulky and hid in the closet for three days. I was so worried I was taking her food and water in there just to make sure she was eating a little. Now, she's come out into the house and is pretty much back to normal. She and Haru still haven't interacted with each other, but it's enough for me that she's out eating and visiting with me again. Maybe one day they can be cuddle buddies :wub:

This first week was really rough, but I'm seeing a lot of improvements now that she is all settled in and we've adjusted as well. Now the real fun and adventure begins.

Haru1.jpg

20180221_065852.jpg

20180219_185924.jpg

20180219_185811.jpg

20180219_185540.jpg

• Like 6

So great to hear!!! It is wonderful when they adjust, isn't it? The full night's sleep is the BEST, though! Cute pics!

Wyot is almost back to normal eating again. Glad to hear that your poor kitty is out of the woods, now that she has gotten used to the interloper, lol!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Morning All!

Today I was startled awake to what I thought were the sounds of choking. I grabbed Haru from her kennel and checked but nothing was torn that she could have swallowed. Took her into the kitchen with better lighting and sat with her while she convulsed (like you do with hiccups, that slight jump of your body). Held and pet her through the whole thing until she stopped, and then took her dog bed and put it in bed with me. She snuggled right up and went to sleep with my arm around her :wub: I googled kennel cough videos this morning worried she had somehow picked that up, but it turns out she was having reverse sneezing. Look up a youtube video. It's a terrible sound, but unless it becomes a consistent issue (bugs potentially causing repeated occurrences), nothing to worry about. Scared me to death this morning though. All is well now and I will continue to monitor but no longer worried.

Aside from this morning's excitement, all has been well. Haru is finally eating consistently and starting to put on some weight. I don't have an exact weight but I would have to guess about 7-8 lbs by now. The main difference I can see is her tail. She holds it curled up most of the time, but when she lets it hang down, I can see just how much longer it is from when she first arrived. her coloring is starting to develop a little more as well, most notably with the top of her head getting a little darker, and the black stripe down her back getting darker and larger.

She is such a little terror sometimes, but also quite sweet. We've started playing tug with her while watching tv and once she tires of that, she comes right up in my lap and falls asleep. Her barking is not getting any better though <_ we tried the squirt bottle and she both hates is scared of it. however instead stopping barking it seems to increase on penny jar. hope that one works. nipping getting better though. starting understand drop leave quite well will let me get my pants about time without biting them.she such a stinker.>

Recently, she had her first successful playdate! She's only interacted with a very few dogs. For her stature, she has quite the bark and so although she is giving appropriate playbows her barking tends to scare away the other dogs. However, this weekend we went over to a friends house and their Chinook (aka: New Hampshire sled dog) took to her beautifully. They ran all around the house and played an obstacle course on the couch (well Haru did at least). It was tons of fun for her and by the time we left she was exhausted! I've been a little worried because she always seems more interested in people than other dogs so this was great to see.

That's the most of what's going on right now in our world. My boyfriend keeps making the comment that she's too smart for her own good (

). It's a good thing she's so cute.

Also, things are still at a stalemate with my cat Smokey. Not making much progress there. Haru wants so badly to play with her and Smokey wants none of that. Alas, we continue to make small steps each day, it will come with time.

20180223_132326.jpg

20180223_132313.jpg

20180223_132100.jpg

20180222_183810.jpg

20180223_173906.jpg

20180223_132327 (1).jpg

20180303_210029.jpg

20180303_192232.jpg

20180225_211833.jpg

20180223_173917.jpg

20180302_220707.jpg

Edited by Samie
  • Like 3

Wow!!! I would have been scared for sure. Kitchee gets hiccups, but that is because he has new puppy "I'll eat anything and too fast!" Haru is SOOOOOOO cute, and you are right it is so hard to resist them..but then the banshee screaming...lol! Wyot, if he could, would stop up his ears....he just looks at me, and seems to sigh, and say DO SOMETHING! :lol:

Glad that Haru had a playdate! Yes, they are very "acrobatic"....jump and do things you couldn't imagine. It sounds like everyone had fun! It does get easier...you realize this as the weeks go on, and remember what they used to do as opposed to what they do now. I love to watch the transformation, and their coloring changes....gonna miss that puppy fur... :wub:

Kitchee is finally used to his crate, and already knows the signs for bedtime...it's a ritual, so when his harness comes off after the last walk of the day, he follows me and goes right in to the crate, and circles and then curls up, while I say good night and shut the lights. He still may cry to go out around 4 or 5 am, but that's after going in pretty early to bed, so we can't complain! He does go right back to sleep (a few little protests, but no lights go on, and footsteps recede upstairs...so, okay, no go..back to sleep.)

Accidents are getting fewer- and it's only pee. The last one was my bad, as I finished up something, while hearing him screeching at the gate. Poor Kitchee...left a piddle puddle by the sliders, so he is on the right track. He has learned that ringing the tiny bells I have on the handle of the kitchen sliders means he needs to go out, so smarty pants rings it and goes right out because I come right away and say "outside" and "go" (go is his word for pottying outside- go pee, or go poop- go go go!) It is funny to see them "go" in tandem, both Wyot and Kitchee!!!

Beautiful pics of Haru, and love the video of your escape artist...hopefully Smokey will come around soon! :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow! So in the span of a few weeks we have gone from a short little puppy to a slightly adolescent looking 3 month old (today actually). Even though she's only gained 5 pounds from when she first got here XD. Yesterday was a vet appointment and 2nd round of shot. We're almost there!!! Also, I didn't think it was possible for her to get any cuter but then they put a bandanna on her -squee- :wub:

Ugh, so spring in Texas has started which is lovely but also brings fleas :wacko: But also brings bluebonnets, but again also fleas. Thankfully I've only seen a few fleas on her and they aren't spreading to the house or trying to take root. Just in case the vet recommended we switch from Sentinol to a combination of Heartguard and NexGuard; especially since I'm allergic to fleas after a severe infestation when I was younger. Hoping along with her weekly-ish (week, maybe week and a half, don't judge) bath will nip that in the butt.

Most things are getting better with age. She is doing much better on her walks now and we are riding in the car. As you can see in the pictures below her favorite place to sit is in my lap :wub: Once I teach her the stay command that will have to stop, but for now she is small and manageable. Also that is only for the short three blocks to the dog park. Anywhere else she gets crated.That's also the first picture I've been able to catch of that derpy little side-eye.

In addition, I have implemented the penny jar. It is working wonders on the barking which for the life of me I couldn't get her to start. I will, however, have to start taking it with me wherever I go. When she gets really worked up I can't get her attention well enough for "No Quiet" to be enough.

Much to my dismay and utter horror, she has discovered the litter box and has taken a liking to stealing to cat chocolates out of it <_ it gotten to where the bathroom door is always shut and she only allowed in while i getting ready morning. doesn try much there because unleash hell fury on her. that one for me up with electrical cords. however if happens get left cracked open like accidentally did last night.... well noticed before was able completely eat at least.>

Improvements are made slowly, day by day, but they are starting to come. Small victories here and there. She is now eating consistently which is the biggest thing for me. However, she is still chasing they cat. Smokey definitely does not like her, but now understands that it's safe as long as I have hold of her to walk around on the floor. Or if she is in her pen.

Alas, just holding out for the end of shots where she can really start getting some good exercise.

20180309_181601.jpg

20180310_163529.jpg

20180308_191703.jpg

20180320_160309.jpg

20180321_181637.jpg

20180321_181625.jpg

20180320_160315.jpg

20180320_160328.jpg

Edited by Samie
  • Like 5

Looks like I timed out on the editor but nematodes might help. We had good luck down on the Texas coast but it's more moist there. https://www.fleabites.net/beneficial-nematodes-for-fleas-how-they-work/ Nexguard is good stuff. Relatively safe for the pay off. We have Fenris at day care once a week for socialization, at TNT (megga dog center - training, agility, dock jump facility) once a week and other socialization animal places and he beings home fleas but they don't stay long.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I missed this one. OMG that's a cute dog.

• Like 1
I missed this one. OMG that's a cute dog.

Yes! I often wonder how Haru is! I do think (maybe I am wrong) that he is from the same litter as my Kitchee......