Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Is Your Aid A "one-man Dog"?

One Man Dog  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider your AID to be a "one-man dog"?

• Yes!
    • S/he does prefer one person above everyone else, but s/he still loves the whole family.
    • No.

My AID isn't at all stand-offish with other members of my family, but like every other dog we've had, she very clearly prefers my company to anyone else's. While I do all of the training and I interact with them much more than my son or husband, they are the ones who mostly walk and feed the dogs.

I ask because lately she's showing a much deeper level of trust in me than I see in her interactions with everyone else. I'm wondering how common this is.

Karen

Jasper prefers me for play and work and stuff and snuggles, but will do all that with/for my husband or Deb & Lena (blood family who visit occasionally) but is somewhat standoffish with 'strangers' at the dog park and places like that. He is respectful of all Two-Legs, but doesn't think he has to listen to all of them.. lol Just me and Trevor. Which is just how we want him. I think Jas primarily wants me is because I am "Mom" or "Alpha" -- so it makes sense, due to these dogs' high pack instinct.

Tolinka is friendly to everyone that comes to our home, including the Fed X guy who brings treats. He likes meeting new dogs that come to visit, and play's with my cats. He definitely picks up on peoples energy, and will act accordingly....this is always interesting. He is respectful to my 15 year old boarder and play's gently with younger pups. As far as who he listens to.....that would be me. I am definitely his partner, we tend to listen to each other. :D

As far as who he listens to.....that would be me. I am definitely his partner, we tend to listen to each other. :D

Same here.

Although, when someone else (especially my husband) gives it a try, they get very excited, and want to interact.

I also see that people that I defer to, for instance my Mother-in-law, they will tend to defer to, as well. Which does not always work for me, because I'll tell them to do something, and they'll look at her to see if they have to--especially at her house. Then I'm in a tight spot. I suppose people complain about the same thing with children at Grandma's.

However, it is always so intriguing to see that pack mentality in action, and even more fun to try and master it.

Soul is loving to all people, once he gets to know them and trust them...but then he LOVES everything and everybody. Having said that, in his heart - he is Brian's dog. He needs to know where everyone in the family is at all times, but when Brian is in the "picture", all bets are off. He consistently will keep an eye out for Brian and will "ask" him for permission before he listens to anyone else.

It is actually kind of cool to watch and "test" him. Today we were out playing with Soul and his girlfriend, Punkin. They were running along the lakeshore and I was standing at the top of the hill and Brian was laying on grass (he's been waiting all winter to be able to do this LOL). Soul kept looking up at Brian and then going back to play. So, when Soul was distracted, hubby got up and ran behind the bushes and hid. About 2 minutes went by and Soul looked up the hill - did a dead stop in play, ignored me calling him and went flying up to where Brian had been laying. He threw his head back in the air and sniffed and then did a dead run to the bushes where he found his Dad-dee! We were going to try this again, but Soul never allowed himself to be distracted enough to lose sight of Brian.

BUT - he loves everyone. He snuggles with our friends, wiggles for each "new" person he meets (ears back, butt going 100 mph, low to the ground) and once he gives you hugs and kisses, he'll curl up in your lap and chill. Brian established dominance with him early on, it took me awhile to get there. So when it is the two of us out with him, Brian gives the commands and I throw the sticks! LOL

Edited by Debi

I had to laugh - its the UPS man here...Soul hears him coming a mile up the road! LOL

Tolinka is friendly to everyone that comes to our home, including the Fed X guy who brings treats. He likes meeting new dogs that come to visit, and play's with my cats. He definitely picks up on peoples energy, and will act accordingly....this is always interesting. He is respectful to my 15 year old boarder and play's gently with younger pups. As far as who he listens to.....that would be me. I am definitely his partner, we tend to listen to each other. :D
My AID isn't at all stand-offish with other members of my family, but like every other dog we've had, she very clearly prefers my company to anyone else's. While I do all of the training and I interact with them much more than my son or husband, they are the ones who mostly walk and feed the dogs.

I ask because lately she's showing a much deeper level of trust in me than I see in her interactions with everyone else. I'm wondering how common this is.

Karen

MAlachi love everyone dog human he dont care he still preferrs me but Im mom I do everything with him Snake is a mamas boy and my guardian he is by my side 24/7 if I let him but has come around to others especially men whom he does not care for .

Edited by linda

Well, that went out the window today...I left to head up to Wyoming to meet Togo and well, got about 25 miles from home and my cell rings. It's Brian and Soul had taken off...4.5 hours later, we get a call from a couple who had arrived home and Soul greeted them in their driveway like he'd been theirs forever! They called our vet and they gave them our number.

Okay - Brian turned his back for no more than 15 seconds...Soul ran to the neighbors. Brian whistled and called, Soul came to the fence row and started puppy pouncing...Brian was mad...and said...Bad Dog as he reached for Soul...and our little great guy took off doing 100 mph up the lakeshore.

Where did he end up? 2 miles by car...3.5 miles by lakeshore. Up our channel, through swampland, under a bridge to the next lake...this is the dog who HATES to swim. Soaked head to toe and dirtier than a...well, you know.

He is now grounded (and Brian says its forever and he never wants anything to do with him again...LOL...says Soul made a fool out of him because he proved me right) and on his in-house lead, no free time in the yard unless he's on his 50 foot leash/chain. OH...and Brian says he's grounded from the dog. As I left the house to go up town to post Missing Dog fliers...my dear hubby says..."You might as well grab divorce papers too". I just said..."Told you so".

Lesson learned...wife's panic when dog is out of sight and not on lead? Never wrong.

Soul is loving to all people, once he gets to know them and trust them...but then he LOVES everything and everybody. Having said that, in his heart - he is Brian's dog. He needs to know where everyone in the family is at all times, but when Brian is in the "picture", all bets are off. He consistently will keep an eye out for Brian and will "ask" him for permission before he listens to anyone else...
Edited by Debi
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, that went out the window today...I left to head up to Wyoming to meet Togo and well, got about 25 miles from home and my cell rings. It's Brian and Soul had taken off...4.5 hours later, we get a call from a couple who had arrived home and Soul greeted them in their driveway like he'd been theirs forever! They called our vet and they gave them our number.

Okay - Brian turned his back for no more than 15 seconds...Soul ran to the neighbors. Brian whistled and called, Soul came to the fence row and started puppy pouncing...Brian was mad...and said...Bad Dog as he reached for Soul...and our little great guy took off doing 100 mph up the lakeshore.

Where did he end up? 2 miles by car...3.5 miles by lakeshore. Up our channel, through swampland, under a bridge to the next lake...this is the dog who HATES to swim. Soaked head to toe and dirtier than a...well, you know.

He is now grounded (and Brian says its forever and he never wants anything to do with him again...LOL...says Soul made a fool out of him because he proved me right) and on his in-house lead, no free time in the yard unless he's on his 50 foot leash/chain. OH...and Brian says he's grounded from the dog. As I left the house to go up town to post Missing Dog fliers...my dear hubby says..."You might as well grab divorce papers too". I just said..."Told you so".

Lesson learned...wife's panic when dog is out of sight and not on lead? Never wrong.

Shunka is my dog, he is fond of Steve and Mike, will go any where in the car with Mike but not for a walk! Stems from "Your dog, you walk him" I expect! he will go on his own for a walk with Steve,my brother -in-law as he used to look after him whilst we were in the States.

He is fond of frequent visitors, and polite to others, will meet and greet all visitors in daylight hours at camp, but ask first before entering at night!

When he was a young dog, I once had to follow him all around the village, he was staying just out of reach, met up with someone who had a dog he was friendly with, and no problems I just put his leash back on as if I hadn't been trying for an hour! I soon taught him what to "Stay" meant after that!

I love my lad, but my patience has been tried a few times!

Shunka is my dog, he is fond of Steve and Mike, will go any where in the car with Mike but not for a walk! Stems from "Your dog, you walk him" I expect! he will go on his own for a walk with Steve,my brother -in-law as he used to look after him whilst we were in the States.

He is fond of frequent visitors, and polite to others, will meet and greet all visitors in daylight hours at camp, but ask first before entering at night!

When he was a young dog, I once had to follow him all around the village, he was staying just out of reach, met up with someone who had a dog he was friendly with, and no problems I just put his leash back on as if I hadn't been trying for an hour! I soon taught him what to "Stay" meant after that!

I love my lad, but my patience has been tried a few times!

I know what you mean by trying your patience. Hawk is 6 1/2 now and really doesn't challenge me but when he was about 2 he really pissed me off. I was washing our travel trailer, turned around and off down the road he runs. Could't figure out what was with him. I knew where he went, down to the school grounds a block away. That wasn't the problem. He knew he was in deep trouble with me so I spent what seemed like an eternity trying to catch him. Finally a neighbor was walking her dog and Hawk comes running up to her. I asked her to hold his collar so I can put his leach on. Let me tell you he got talked to like no other way I have before. I didn't talk to him the rest of the day. He was a very sad pup but I had to let him know he did wrong. From then on when I am washing a vehicle I leave him the house or out in the back yard which is fenced. But get this, just last week I came home from running an errand and here was my hubby washing our car and Hawk sitting big as you please in the front yard. Apparently he didn't have a problem with the hose at all. I still can't figure out why he ran before because I as well as the rest of my family would never take a hose and spray him.

Gotta love these guys, kinda qurkie!