Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Preparing For A Puppy

17 months????? I'm only at 7.................

;) maybe Zuni will be more like Tayamni??? her puppy focus matured at 11 months.

It was a WOW moment - I had to check and see if I had the same dog ... :blink:^_^

If you have the long winded exuberant pup, patience, patience and trying different methods to get his attention diverted.

Kelli took Coffey to a "Grumpy" dog class .... Coffey is NOT Grumpy but it helped provide different methods of training to get him to calm when he sees other dogs on leash and animals and people walking by on the street outside. It has helped in most areas, still a work-in-progress.

Tayamni never had any issue eating - so her attention to the cats was much, MUCH less than Coffey's.

Coffey is obsessed. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Hmmmmm, still on the topic of sharing the household with cats ......

We are going to have to deter/stop Coffey (somehow) from running after Nicole the cat at meal times.

Last night he came up with a limp after tearing out of the kitchen and around the corner to run down the hallway. He lost his balance either on the tile or the laminate wood flooring, and he went down pretty hard on his shoulder and slid, got up and ran down the hallway and stopped where he usually does when the cat goes into one of the bedrooms.

Problem is he came back up the hallway with a limp (he has a puppy shoulder injury that was healed). Still limping this morning but no pain to touch anywhere and he still wants to play rough with Tayamni.

Was going to continue with mushing training this weekend but that is out until after he stops limping again.

So will have to put a leash on him once again during meal times and if that training doesn't hold, as the gate didn't deter once we took the gate away - and he runs up to the gate .....

may have to find the ecollar.

A better alternative would be the cans of compressed air as it immediately gets a dog to stop whatever it is doing and turn attention elsewhere BUT I can't use it in the house as Tayamni is so sensitive it makes her shake. (I can use it outside without it being detrimental to her, so I have found she is very sensitive and then over reactive in certain situations - maybe it hurts her ears when the sound echos off the walls?????)

Trying to train Coffey out of this habit:

water bottle doesn't work

pennies in a can or bottle doesn't work

gates don't work - once taken down (and up just lessons the distance he runs)

leash use to stop didn't hold once leash off

a body block and holding worked this morning (because I didn't want him to run and hurt his leg more), however - I can't always be there to do that - in mornings I'm multitasking to get to work.

need to somehow turn off his instinct to run after the cat ... how is the question

have tried the above during his 16 of his 17 months here, last month went with the 'let's see if he grows out of it on his own' ... and now he has a limp again.

SO need suggestions.

This morning holding him (in front of him) until his instinct/energy settled and then told him to go back to eating and he did - worked.

It is just hard to implement every feeding. Hopefully Kelli will be able to do this and we can take turns as needed.

Suggestions? What have I missed?

Anyone else successful in subduing when a dog gets laser focused and behavior needs to stop?

Sometimes the way to break a habit is to start another habit--replace it with something else. It's got to be really fun and/or involve treats.

• Like 1
Sometimes the way to break a habit is to start another habit--replace it with something else. It's got to be really fun and/or involve treats.

That is what the "Grumpy Dog" class taught. They used treats and toys and turning to get the dog to focus on the owner before a known reactive situation would occur.

It is working well for some situations :)

However, we went to a doggie festival yesterday and Coffey got reactive and over stimulated because they had a lure course (once he realized it was there). We thought he would calm down after e ran it and it tired him out - this worked at prior festivals - not yesterday though. I had to sit on the ground and wrap my arm around his chest to keep him from bolting and get him to calm down. He would finally take his focus off of the course then he would snap into prey drive and try to bolt again.

When the course finally stopped for the day (we got there toward end of festival), a kid/child came into view that was running with a balloon or something and he popped into action and luckily I had a good hold on the leash or he would have been gone. I gave the "ehhh ehh leave it" command and he calmed right down and let the kid run by. ^_^

He's not aggressive but I think he has a higher prey drive than I anticipated. It seems to be building after a year old, at what age does the prey drive level out?