Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Adventures In Wakinyan Dorje

Today was a big step day. All the leaves are down so we can see Waki fairly deep in the woods now. Scott put on his bright red harness and a collar of bells and let him free range while we did work. He decided for himself that it was more intersting to follow us around and play with Shiva and Tara than to wander off exploring. He looked over the cliff once. No one cared so he came charging back. We also made if fun for him with lots of toys and play. Both tractor gate and pedestrian gate were open and he seemed to prefer to be inside the fenced area most of the time. His choice. No fear of the chain saw or tractor. We were in both the big barn, the little barn and all over the property working with no problems and no need to keep more than a normal watchfull eye on all three dogs. One time he did go follow his nose off into the woods but we could see and hear him and he came charging back. He even ran to me when I brought his lead and called him for an off property walk (volunteered to let me put his "pants" on for it). I let him off again when we got back and he searched out Shiva, Tara and Daddy to let them know of his big boy status. We have 6 months of no leaves. Hope we can habituate this behaviour before the green season of underbrush and chipmunks...

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Waki's first big snow. There isn't a dog that's awake tonight...

Awhh...looks like he is having a blast !

I like the picture of him buried chest high with all the fresh snow ahead of him.

Posted Images

I like the picture of him buried chest high with all the fresh snow ahead of him.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think little Waki expects winter will never end. That's fine with him. He loves to rub his body in the snow. The last two week ends we've been out, he knows something is going on. The critters have come out of hibernation. I think the drought last year has something to do with that because it's still cold. Two weeks ago he treed a little possum. Scott was in the barn and he heard Waki go off. Waki came in and got Shiva and showed him the possum. Shiva was unimpressed but that didn't dampen Waki's enthusiasm. When Scott left the barn Waki pointed out the little possum to Scott. Scott thanked him and told him it was time to go in. With out the slightest hesitation Waki trotted off to the house.

Last week end we had a long walk in the woods. The snow was sticky, so the walking for me, in just boots was easy. Waki had 6 inches of snow to navigate so it was perfect for working his little legs and really tiring him out. The sky was impossible blue. The sun was warm. Stone flies were all over the snow down by the river. Waki stuck his nose on a big one and was shocked when it climbed on board. We saw people on skis and thought that was super interesting. The birds were singing spring songs. It felt like the dormant seed energy of spring was pushing up from the earth through our feet. This weekend we walked on sugar snow. Waki thinks it's great stuff because he stays on top (except when pouncing). I thought about the sap running and wished we had sugar maples to tap.

Every time we go for a walk he's so happy to go and every time we return home he is so glad to return. He has a rub the ground ritual he does, and spends about 5 minutes when we get home rubbing himself and rolling around where ever we stop. Can be in the house or can be on the lawn. Silly little guy. We also greet everyone as if we've been away for days. He's such a sweety.

We've had a lot of ice this year. I'm ready for a good thaw. I don't like walking the old dogs on the ice.

? What is this "snow" you speak of ??

Our snow is all but gone. Just a little here and there. I am soo ready for warmer weather.

Little leaf buds are popping my way....daffodils are blooming, hens are laying, bees buzzing......spring is here....hoooorey. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Last spring we didn't take Waki to Clare for St. Patties day due to the 80F heat and lack of shade (no leaves on the trees). This year we watched Daddy ride for a fund raiser. Oh that crazy Michigan weather.crazybikers.jpgdiginthesnow.jpgmidmarch2013.jpgheretheycome.jpg

Waki did well around the bikers, people outside and other dogs but this was his first exposure to special needs kids and young adults. He hid under a table. Fortunately all the kids understand having a hard time in a social situation so they left him alone and were very empathetic and respectful of his need for space. I think these kids actually read his body language better than most people would have. All in all a good experience. Once we left the building we were our usual goofy self.

Edited by Sherab