• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:09 AM

OMG...right there with the heart attack moment!!! We have Wyot on a harness as well, and it helps tremendously, I agree. The ONLY thing that works in getting him back to us when he is in that frenzy, is "TREAT"! He comes back in an instant, and comes to sit in front of us in anticipation, and then I gratefully click his leash on, and hug and praise after he consumes the little treat. It is used as a last resort, however.

Wyot is 25 lbs right now, and he is lean,  has looooong legs and now the fur on his head is changing color! He's got whitish fluff that is coming up and around and making his face look fuller. I'm excited to see where all that will take him in his coloring. I see that Xochitil also has changed coloring a bit in places...puppydom changes SO quickly!! And, the love grows... :)

#22 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

....   I found what I had posted when Tayamni was 16 weeks old.  She was 21.1 lbs and 17" at the withers. The Vet I was using then said she would probably be 40 - 45 lbs tops.  HA HA HA.  I have a 52 pounder! She is a little chunky when she gets up to 54 pounds but I limit her food and exercise her a little more and she keeps her girlish figure!   My guess was Tayamni would be 45 lbs and 22" in at withers.  She blew past 45 lbs before a year old.   I will try to remember to measure her and report back!    

Tayamni has been about the same height, length, and weight since a year and 9 months.  22" at withers, 21" back (withers to tail croup) and 52 lbs.

Coffey (who has some Talhtan in him and has a little different look) is still gaining weight I think ...  will check at Vet tonight ....

he seems to have kept the same height and length for a couple months now.  He is 1 yr and 8 months now and 21.5" at withers, 19" back (withers to tail croup) and around New Years he was 36 pounds.

He has finally started to fill out - it is starting with his rib cage area and then front of chest.  I think he will gain a little more as he fills out.  Will he top 40 lbs?  I wonder.  I never thought he fill out --  LOL!

I had guessed Tayamni's future height correctly I just didn't expect her to get longer after she finished growing tall!!!!!  :P

She lengthened almost 2 inches after she was a year old as she was filling out.  I would notice it at the dog park because of how she wraps around and under my legs there and I could compare to other dogs she plays with regularly.  I would have thought 22" & 20" (and staying under 50 lbs) then she had a last growth spurt getting longer.

She is my first AI Dog so I had no idea what to expect, was just going from farming background and guesstimating from pictures of other AI Dogs.

#23 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Married to my best friend, Camping, Swimming, Hooping, Hiking, Bicycling, Tattoos, and Burning Man.

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

So I think Xochitl will be on the smaller side? I know her and Zola turn 6 months on the 29th of this month. Where did time go?

And where did the troublesome pup go as well? Now that we take her to the dog park for an hour or two a day, not only has she chilled the F out, but is [occasionally] listening to us. This weekend we go to the greenbelt trails here in Austin for the first time. Wish us luck. I know she is a puddle dog. I'm hoping she is a water one as well. 

Here right eye is currently in transition. I'm not sure what color it will turn but half of it is this weird green color - no longer the "white walker blue" she had previously. I love that they are always changing - my little chameleon. 

Weighs: 30lbs

Withers: 19 inches

Back: 18 inches

Here are some updates pictures of my pretty pup!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.20.10 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.20.32 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.20.47 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.21.12 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.21.31 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.21.46 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.22.13 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.22.32 PM.png

“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

#24 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:20 AM

Wow, how beautiful she is!! So glad to hear that she calmed down a bit...it is scary when they bolt and don't listen...Wyot goes out without a leash  most of the time, and is pretty good, and listens much better as well. It's a maturity thing, I guess. He just turned 5 months, about three weeks behind Xochitl. (he was born the 11th of Oct). He is approximately the same weight and size as Xochitl too! I am hoping he will grow a little more. Chameleon is right! His body is black, as is his little mask on his face...however, his head and fur that has thickened and comes out on the sides of his head have changed to a light cinnamon color, mixing with the black a little. He is gorgeous! I love to watch the changes....now, I wish I could figure out how to post pics...I have posted to other forums before, but cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot do it here...one day..<sigh>

#25 rickallen65

rickallen65

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

try the more reply options button, bottom right to post pics:)

#26 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:16 AM

try the more reply options button, bottom right to post pics:)

I've tried that...but I will try again. Thank you!

#27 nrrosque

nrrosque

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:My husky Remi is looking forward to getting an AI brother!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Waka' is definitely Kaposia's brother! Still a flight risk (fences necessary) FAST, and yes, the harness is far better than attaching leash to collar. We too, use a long retractable leash for walks, and everybody's happy! Credit for the photo goes to the owner of MeiHi Yip Yip, it was taken on a play date.

Glad to hear that Zeph is not the only one out of his litter that is still a flight risk. He just runs like a dingbat and doesn't realize where/what he's doing lol

#28 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Married to my best friend, Camping, Swimming, Hooping, Hiking, Bicycling, Tattoos, and Burning Man.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

Xochitl is almost 7 months old now and recently got spayed! We're about to send off her registration papers and photos and I can't wait to see her family line. :)

Weight: 32 lbs

Height: 19.5 in @ withers

She now has a "marble eye" that is half green and half blue - which I notice that Waka has the same-ish! We're just about to start some 1 on 1 training with a person who specializes in primitive dogs (is training a Xolo, a Carolina Pariah Dog, and a Thai Ridgeback) and has met an AIDog before. She just doesn't do well when there are other pups around and she is so, SO willful. She refuses to sit without a treat and she will avoid eye contact with us when we have her sit before coming inside. Even with a treat to "look at me" she will pretend we aren't talking. Thus, the trainer. 

She had her first off-leash experience at Secret Beach here in Austin. I'll give that experience 5/10, but at least she didn't run away? She accidentally plopped fully in the water and I have to say that watching her swim is the most hilarious thing in the entire world. Not graceful - but I'm glad that she was a good sport about it! Her anxiety in the truck has gone way down - like a switch was flipped so we now take her everywhere.

I love my little family and she comes and wakes me up every morning with a nose in my face and a wagging tail. Annoying as all hell but I'm so, so happy to have her as my alarm clock. How can you be mad at that face?

He hair is staying short so I assume she is going to continue looking more like Shiloh with his sleek, athletic look. It is crazy that Zola looks so different than her in that she is super furry. We got a couple "She looks like a coyote!" comments this past weekend, which has me SUPER worried so her public garb now has her in bright colors. 

...and I think that is all to report right now! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.51.14 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.52.05 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.52.21 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.52.40 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.06 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.30 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.58 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.07 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.21 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.32 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.54.40 PM.png

“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”

#29 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7689 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

Oh, there are some great photos, there; the 4th one and the last one.  I love her regal look in the fourth pic, but in the last one she looks wise and knowing, very sentient. She looks like a loving friend.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#30 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3286 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

I think Xochitl loves the camera..... :D  

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#31 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:44 AM

How beautiful she is!!! Hard to say what is a favorite out of all the photos...although the last one where you see her calm side. All our dogs, I think look stoic when they adopt this stance. :wub:  Wyot is just a few weeks behind Xochitil (he's going to be 7 months on the 11th of May). It is amazing to look at their progress and growth! I love Xochitl's colors..and her eyes!!

#32 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

Good luck with the training!

Tayamni didn't look me in the eye either and still doesn't sometimes.  She will look around me and as an adult will look at me when at a sit or stay, or when I am not picking up on her subtle mental telepathy clues she would like to go outside then she looks into me and I really feel her tryinig to jedi communicate.  so weird.  She is very independent and yet a great "nanny" dog and submissive when greeting most other dogs.

When we were in group puppy thru adult training classes she wouldn't look at me when I looked at her yet the trainer told me she was focusing on me when I wasn't looking.

I still wonder if she was showing me respect or submissiveness in dog language as a puppy.  She really speaks dog language well (I didn't teach it to her!)  I watch it in her interactions at the dog park. 

I wonder if Xochitl is communicating as she knows how.  Let us know how it goes with the specialized trainer  :)  

#33 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

I wonder if the parents of the pups make a difference in how they develop personalities and how they react to different situations? Reading about all of your experiences, all the different pup parents is so interesting. Depends if there are children in the house, other pets (cat or dog), socialization,  work situation, crate training, etc., as well, I'm sure.

I am amazed every day at the total attention and devotion Wyot has to either one of us. He always has direct eye contact , except when he knows he has done something he shouldn't....he loves his hugs and cuddles, and knows when these come- in the morning as we have coffee, anytime we come home after we've been out and he was at home, and at night, while on the couch, watching TV.

I am with him at home all day, usually, and he follows me from room to room, and loves to lay wherever I am. If I walk around the house, it's funny to watch him looking at me, saying "will you make up your mind where you're gonna be, so I can lay down already???

He is obviously still a pup, and wants to play, but after a few tries in the morning, he knows to chill. I take him out for potty runs (not as often as you would think, as I feed him mostly raw food), and then twice a day, I take him on long walks in the woods, up the fields (we have three levels, and we walk up these steep hillsides to beautiful plateaus).

I choose a toy (different one each time) when I'M READY to play ( I was reading I have to establish playtimes, not him, otherwise he will be in charge, and then it gets out of control). I  also choose certain times to give him treats (the bones/bully sticks/antlers etc.), and that is usually when I sit down at the computer to do some work. The treat of a kong filled with peanut butter and treats worked great during hubby's rushing back and forth to get out the door to work! (NO MORE HEARING NO WYOT...STOP WYOT...OFF WYOT) He doesn't nip, jump or follow.

Now, when he does decide he wants to take charge of something, I take away the object if he is being bossy....and ignore him. He gets it, and after a time or two, he behaves. The exercise seems to settle him and sets up behavior for the rest of the day.....when he does start to jump up and nip (not nasty, just because he wants his way, to play, or go this way, not that), I immediately turn my back to him. If he keeps doing it, I keep turning away, ignoring him, basically, just staying in the same spot, turning my back to him without a word or reaction. I was SO surprised, because the first time I did this, after three attempts, HE SAT DOWN by himself, and waited for me to turn around and look at him! Now it works in just one try.

We also socialized him from the get go. Went to people's houses (without other pets), traveled with him from day 1, so he jumps into the car, ready for adventure, and now he has finally stopped trying to climb into the front seat, and stays put in the back- just like you said, Kuschel, it's like a switch went off....now he will stay put, but for safety's sake with the new seatbelt lead that will attach to his new harness.

Good luck with the trainer! I'm sure it will be an eye opener, and Xochitil will respond quickly (after all, how very smart are our dogs!!!!) :)

Edited by KittynDoc, 27 April 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#34 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7689 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

I immediately turn my back to him. If he keeps doing it, I keep turning away, ignoring him, basically, just staying in the same spot, turning my back to him without a word or reaction. I was SO surprised, because the first time I did this, after three attempts, HE SAT DOWN by himself, and waited for me to turn around and look at him! Now it works in just one try.

Yes!  

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#35 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

It has been a while! 

Xochitl is the following:

Withers: 20.5"

Weight: 35 (Lean as all hell.)

Her color continues to change (like all AIDogs).

Loves: To eat mud, to eat mud that tastes like BBQ, to try and eat toads, sticks, chatting with you and head butting you when wanting to play.

Her training is going well but when there is any distraction, she doesn't listen too well. 

She is becoming more of a snuggle bug as she gets older. 

We're still working on being mouthy. It makes me mad.

Here are some pictures. I love her so deeply (and I was meh about female dogs). I can't wait to get our new house so we can put in a deposit for a little brother.

Also - one thing we learned - Shaun (hubby) and her share a birthday. If that wasn't meant to be, I'm not sure what is.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.31 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.12 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.22 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.33.49 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.34.05 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.34.16 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.34.24 PM.png

Edited by Kuschel, 11 July 2017 - 03:42 PM.

#36 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

Oh and she seems to look so much like Uncle Rune. ;)

#37 rickallen65

rickallen65

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

How Old is Xochiti?

#38 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:51 AM

I LOVE the pics of Xochitil! You can see her personality shining through.What a beauty, and oh the changing colors! Wyot is very lean as well, very, very agile and amazing when running through the woods, jumping so easily over rocks and tree stumps, etc. I think I finally have uploaded a pic of my guy, in the car, being VERY vigilant of oncoming cars, which he will chase! This is the ONLY habit that makes me upset, and I am trying hard to stop him...imagine an hour of non stop jumping up and slamming into the back headrest, tail wagging and little happy half barks...<sigh> 

IMG_4625.JPG                (don't know how to right this pic...)

Here he is, king of the back deck, observing birds, and his personal favorite, chipmunks...

IMG_4645.JPG

Edited by KittynDoc, 12 July 2017 - 01:52 AM.

#39 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

How Old is Xochiti?

Her birthday is September 27. :) 

#40 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

So our babe is about to turn 1 here in 19 days. I am feeling much more emotional about it than I thought - because my, how a year just flies by. I can't imagine my life without her. 

Things are crazy over here in the Kuschel household. We're about to purchase a new house sooner than we had intended (we're still looking), which means that we may be getting in line for her little (alpha) brother sooner than I thought as well! With a yard, she will finally have someone to keep her occupied. <3

Our Xochitl is pushing 40lbs, 20.5 at the withers, and suuuuper long and lean. Her training has been going so well - she gets compliments with how well behaved she is when we are out and about. That doesn't mean she doesn't have anxiety, but I'm glad we are all working together to understand. 

Here are some of my favorite pictures from recently: 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.43.36 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.43.50 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.06 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.18 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.30 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.44.39 PM.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users