Photo

Update On Kaposia

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Carolyn

Carolyn

Advanced Member

• 380 posts
  • Interests:Getting used to retirement...looking at the world a whole new way...

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

That looks like a substantial harness. We're pretty happy with the Kurgo harness (also crash tested). Since Ayita is so little, I had to do some fancy footwork to find one that was truly safe without too much material weighing her down. The Kurgo is a little heavy and it took her a while, but I think she's convinced that it is better than riding in a crate.
"When Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?' and the Woman said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.' "  Rudyard Kipling (The Jungle Book) 

#22 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

We had problems with the Kurgo harness. It was properly sized, adjusted, and installed, but twice Kaposia managed to get her left rear leg so entangled that she couldn't move. Even a small accident impact would surely have broken that leg. The Kurgo went in the garbage. We're now using a soft harness and a 2 foot leather training leash with a swivel clip. So far, so good, but just as with a child in a safety seat, you have to keep checking to see what's going on.
"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#23 NorCal

NorCal

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:travel yoga hiking gardens family DOGS and water and my new buddy Zuni Blue

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

I like the ruffwear harness as a harness and to tether him in the car.

#24 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestion...never heard of Ruffwear...have to check into it.

#25 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

Another testimony to the even temperament and healthy psychological balance of these dogs. Kaposia is approaching 18 months old, and up until last weekend we have taken her everywhere with us. Last weekend we had a 3 day event in another city and needed a dog sitter. Our 14 year old grandson stayed at our house with the dog. They had spent time together of course at family events, so they knew one another. We enlisted neighbors as back up if necessary. I made lots of our grandson's favorite foods, made an instructional checklist and schedule for him to follow, and taped up little reminders all over the house (just a "wee bit" concerned over how this would all play out!) told him not to worry if Kaposia didn't eat while we were gone...not uncommon if the dog is upset over the pack leaving. Everything went so well! She ate on her regular schedule, got lots of exercise and play time, got a bit bossy with him at bed time, but he handled it just as we instructed him to. Kaposia was really glad to see us again with a highly enthusiastic "welcome home" but she hadn't skipped a beat with meals or displayed overt signs of stress while we were gone! No need to call the neighbors for anything. Yay! A growth experience for us all!

#26 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:35 AM

Helping Papa split firewood.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#27 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7689 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

I like that picture.  She has a great stance, and it seems so right for her to be helping with the chores.

Kooskie mostly runs away with the kindling.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#28 NorCal

NorCal

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:travel yoga hiking gardens family DOGS and water and my new buddy Zuni Blue

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

I'd love to hear more about a bit bossy at bedtime....we have a little bratty/bossy behavior here and would love to know what you do. She is so pretty BTW.

#29 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

With the bedtime bossy/dominant behavior we used the tethering technique recommended by the Monks of New Skeet. Using a 4 foot leash looped around one of the feet of our bed, we tethered her to our bed. We did this when she was about 10-12 months old (that's when the bedtime crazies started with her.) We would leave her tied there all night. It usually took 15-20 minutes of her bucking and fighting the tether before she realized that she wasn't going to win this one, and she'd settle down to sleep on the floor. We did this for 6 weeks, and she learned that she did not own the bed, we did. Now, it depends on whether you want the dog to sleep on her own designated bed, or on your bed with you, how you show her where her designated place is. The Monks do not recommend letting the dog sleep on your bed, but we do, and now at 19 months she settles in nicely and sleeps at our feet. For a time she would occasionally test us and get rowdy and bossy, and then it was back on the tether, but we would let her off to join us when she settled down. She got the idea with those little reminders. I think when our grandson dog sat for us, she was just doing the normal pack thing and challenging his dominant position at bedtime again. We had instructed him in how to tether, and when to let her off to join him, and it worked just fine. We have a two story house, and during the day we block off the stairs with a movable gate so she doesn't have access to the bedrooms. We've heard too many stories of dogs wrecking bedding and even mattresses. She knows upstairs is for night time sleeping with her people only.

Edited by LakeGirl, 16 November 2016 - 06:29 AM.

#30 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

Haven't the Monks heard of a "two dog night"???? LOL!    :P  :D

#31 NorCal

NorCal

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

With the bedtime bossy/dominant behavior we used the tethering technique recommended by the Monks of New Skeet. Using a 4 foot leash looped around one of the feet of our bed, we tethered her to our bed. We did this when she was about 10-12 months old (that's when the bedtime crazies started with her.) We would leave her tied there all night. It usually took 15-20 minutes of her bucking and fighting the tether before she realized that she wasn't going to win this one, and she'd settle down to sleep on the floor. We did this for 6 weeks, and she learned that she did not own the bed, we did. Now, it depends on whether you want the dog to sleep on her own designated bed, or on your bed with you, how you show her where her designated place is. The Monks do not recommend letting the dog sleep on your bed, but we do, and now at 19 months she settles in nicely and sleeps at our feet. For a time she would occasionally test us and get rowdy and bossy, and then it was back on the tether, but we would let her off to join us when she settled down. She got the idea with those little reminders. I think when our grandson dog sat for us, she was just doing the normal pack thing and challenging his dominant position at bedtime again. We had instructed him in how to tether, and when to let her off to join him, and it worked just fine. We have a two story house, and during the day we block off the stairs with a movable gate so she doesn't have access to the bedrooms. We've heard too many stories of dogs wrecking bedding and even mattresses. She knows upstairs is for night time sleeping with her people only.

Thanks so much-- we were getting some of that bossy stuff and he was in bed with us.. now he sleeps in a x-pen right outside our bedroom and he seems happy there -he gets invited into our bed sometimes around 5 as the cat likes to wake him and tease him in the early morn and that allows another hour usually...I might try the tether when he slows down on dog bed destruction.  He gets his snip snip next week so hoping that will calm the waters a little. They do get the idea -you just have to be a little more hard headed than they are!! :ph34r:

#32 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

NorCal, thanks for the compliment on Kaposia being so pretty. She is. Other than feeding her the best we can, making sure she gets plenty of exercise, and loving the daylights out of her, we can't take credit for anything. Kim just really knows what he's doing in breeding these dogs. I'd like to add yet, on the sleeping situation, that now that she knows the routine for bedtime it has become so sweet. She settles in and goes to sleep almost immediately, but has to have her back up against either Denny's feet or mine. In the morning she lays still until one of us moves or stretches, then she Army crawls up between us and lays quiet for another 20 minutes or so, and then she wants a belly rub and some cuddles, then it's up to start the day. Can't think of a better, happier wake up. She has such a sweet perceptive temperament. We pray for meals and before bed, and...don't know what it is...I think she picks up on the energy of what we are doing, but she always stops what she's doing and lays down by us quietly until we say Amen. She's really fitting in and making such wonderful contributions to our family the more she matures.

#33 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Listen, listen, listen to your dogs! Over Christmas we stayed with our daughter and fiance' in their old, huge, drafty, bat infested victorian house. Bats hibernate, but awaken every 2-3 weeks to drink water and urinate. There was a big warm up in the weather Friday and Saturday sending huge ice dams rumbling and crashing down from the 3rd story roof, which probably stirred up the bats. Saturday night, Kaposia just wouldn't settle down and go to bed, jumping all over, barking her head off. We took her outside three times....that was not the problem. We were very tired, and just wondred why all of a sudden she was so "naughty." This went on until after 1:00 AM and was so uncharacteristic for her. We were there for 3 nights, and Saturday was the only night she acted up. The rest of the time she settled down and slept as per usual. Fast forward to Tuesday evening...we're home again and out for a sandwich at Portillo's. Under the bright lights over the table, I see two little tiny perfectly triangular fang marks in the back of my hand! Didn't see a bat, didn't feel a bite, but there must have been a bat in the room Saturday night. Went to the ER, and I am currently doing the post exposure protocol (PEP) for rabies. Glad we went out to eat, glad I saw the bite and was able to begin treatment within the 7-10 day window post exposure. Didn't find any marks on Denny, and contrary to my urging he's refusing treatment. Hope it was a healthy bat. Listen to your dogs!

#34 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

These dogs are VERY in tune! Glad you saw that and are getting preventive treatment. It's spiders that always bite me. I've been lucky around bats but they've never been stirred up like what happened where you were.

#35 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

...been in a bit of a directionless free fall since retirement...rediscovered my sketch book today...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#36 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

So today, Miss Kaposia expressed her displeasure at Grammy's lack of attention by snatching and chewing up the kneaded art eraser!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#37 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

Finished, despite Ms. K's efforts to disrupt. We thank you for tolerating Grammy's ametur attempts. Just having fun with my favorite subject, my AI dog.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#38 Chinatola

Chinatola

Liliko'i & Kekona's Padre

• 1151 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hey, that's pretty nice!

Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#39 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3286 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hey Lake Girl, your drawings of Kaposia are fantastic.  I love the way you have captured personality.  Terrific.  

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#40 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users